New build, same storage, but windows deactivated?

OnionRings
Go to solution Solved by OnionRings,
31 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

It doesn't really affect anything

could just log into your microsoft account if it were tied to your key.

but you should always reinstall windows with new hardware...

I don't think my key is tied to my account, hence the error. I'll just have to fork up 27 bucks to kinguin for a new home key. Since I have pro, that will be my opportunity for fresh windows as well. Which I didn't do fresh windows right away because I built 2 pcs today and I honestly couldn't be bothered to mess with it. Haven't even messed much with my ram or cpu OC yet either, I just put on gamer boost and put my ram at 3600 and ill toy with it later. After I get dem fresh windexes.

I got a new CPU, mobo, and ram, but not storage. I assume im being deactivated cus it was an OEM king I got off kinguin, and those are locked to your mobo right? AM I gonna need to buy another copy?

I tried clicking " I changed hardware recently " and it asks for the pin to my PC/micro account, but then fails and gives me this http://prntscr.com/s4g983

Should I try again later? If it loads, will I be given back my windows?

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

2 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

I got a new CPU, mobo, and ram, but not storage. I assume im being deactivated cus it was an OEM king I got off kinguin, and those

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

31 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

I don't think my key is tied to my account, hence the error. I'll just have to fork up 27 bucks to kinguin for a new home key. Since I have pro, that will be my opportunity for fresh windows as well. Which I didn't do fresh windows right away because I built 2 pcs today and I honestly couldn't be bothered to mess with it. Haven't even messed much with my ram or cpu OC yet either, I just put on gamer boost and put my ram at 3600 and ill toy with it later. After I get dem fresh windexes.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

3 hours ago, OnionRings said:

There are different types of Windows licenses, with the main consumer types being 'COA' and 'OEM' licenses.

OEM licenses are comparitively cheap, but any change in major hardware components (CPU or motherboard, RAM/GPU are usually OK) will invalidate your license as it thinks you have moved the install to a different machine. These licenses usually come with prebuilt/refurb machines, or are sold by dodgy resellers online (they are only supposed to be sold already installed on machines by Authorised Microsoft partners).

COA licenses are the proper ones - they are usually more expensive but allow the install to be moved between machines without invalidating the license.

It sounds like you had an OEM license.

Almost as cool as my temps  

7 hours ago, OnionRings said:

I don't think my key is tied to my account, hence the error. I'll just have to fork up 27 bucks to kinguin for a new

Keys on ebay are only $5

I've switched hardware a few times and windows is still active for me.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

49 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Keys on ebay are only $5

I've switched hardware a few times and windows is still active for me.

Fuck I forgot to check ebay. Oh well too late, I bought a pro key off kinguin a little while ago. I'm still gonna do fresh windows but im gonna wait a week so I can buy my NVME ssd and ill just put fresh windows on there.

CPU

You could just use phone activation instead of online. If they ask how many times it has been installed, press 0. Usually works.