Best budget gaming headset that isn't a headset? - Superlux HD668B review

This headphone is an old model. Originally released almost a decade ago. I bought it because the price was too good to not get it (only £30 on ebay with free delivery, closest thing to it was those cheap generic headsets from Amazon), it was recommended alot on audio forums for entry level studio headphones, and because they're semi-open back they are amazing for gaming. 

They have a wide sound stage, which will be even better if you use it with a decent DAC/Amp, and the positional tracking (imaging) is very good too, a good budget option would be the Fiio E10K which would make these sound louder and clearer. It would be like you're almost cheating. The treble is a bit harsh, some people may find it tiring and might give a headache so I suggest use an equaliser and lower some of the higher frequencies, that makes it more enjoyable. To me the treble isn't that bad.

They have good bass, not too overwhelming but they are semi-open back so don't expect too much bass. The mids and highs are clear and crisp, just tame the treble with an EQ. 

The stock pleather pads are pretty bad, they irritated my ear and got hot, replaced them with some velour pads that are meant for the AKG K240 and they fit perfectly and they're much more comfortable and increase the sound stage slightly too. 

The clamping force is a bit too much, i left them overnight on a box that is wider than head width, around 20cm wide. It helped alleviate some of the pressure. 

I've read that people have done some mods which make them sound even better, like putting 2 or 3 ply tissue paper under the foam on top of the driver to help reduce treble. Some have done resoldering of the cables, and others have replaced the cabling for some higher quality which apparently makes them sound better, but I'm not sure about that one. 

For gaming these are amazing! That's the reason I bought them. The positional audio cues are accurate and the wide sound stage lets me hear enemies coming from a good distance away, it has definitely helped me improve in shooter games since I used to use my stereo pc speakers to play.

Conclusion: Other than the treble, the stock earpads, and the clamping force(all of which can be fixed relatively easily), this is a great value headphone. Cheap and made for mods. Great all around value for gaming, music, movies. Pair it with a modmic or any USB mic and you will have an amazing audio experience.

The HD681 Evo from Superlux is also worth looking at, they are a slightly newer model and look better, but I have heard that the bass isn't as good. And the Samson SR850.

20200419_163401.jpg

20200413_143319.jpg

-Moved to Member Reviews-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25