Reinstalling Windows with a secondary spanned partition installed.

KageSong

I need to know if I can re-install Windows without screwing up the spanned partition I made on my other drives. All the answers I can find seem unclear. My M.2 got GRUB put on it, even though I told it not to, and now it's reading only 6 or so GB free.

It seems like when I've done this before, it messed up my spanned drive, but it may have been something else. I'm just trying to find out what options there are. I keep everything OFF of my C drive on purpose so I don't lose my data, lol. It would also be cool if there's a way I can reinstall Windows with as many settings and registry things in tact that I have, or even back up things like the user folder that would have program settings etc.

I had spanned volume before and Windows automatically picked up the spanned volume after installation so you shouldn't have any problems with that.

19 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I had spanned volume before and Windows automatically picked up the spanned volume after installation so you shouldn't have any problems with that.

Okay. I use programs like Stardock fences and iCue, etc.as well. Is there anyway to back things up that would keep those operating the way I have them that you know of?

Use the export function in ICue to export your profiles and then import them afterwards. I haven't used Stardock apps since Windows 7 so I can't really say.

5 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Use the export function in ICue to export your profiles and then import them afterwards. I haven't used Stardock apps since Windows 7 so I can't really say.

Yeah, that's what I see there so far. If I wanna do registry and program folders, it's probably more pain than it's worth, right?

7 hours ago, KageSong said:

Yeah, that's what I see there so far. If I wanna do registry and program folders, it's probably more pain than it's worth, right?

Easier to just reinstall is it not? You can technically backup your registry and import it I guess but isn't it nice to have a fresh install of Windows? Why are you reinstalling anyway?

12 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Easier to just reinstall is it not? You can technically backup your registry and import it I guess but isn't it nice to have a fresh install of Windows? Why are you reinstalling anyway?

Because when I installed linux on a second drive, even though I told GRUB not to be installed on my main boot drive (ie - Windows drive) it still did anyway. I can't get it off of there, and it's causing it to error out and say I only have like 6 gigs free when I should have like 60. Not easier to just reinstall everything. I've got my programs and everything running in a fine tuned fashion and I'm OCD about it. Windows is working fine. I just need my hard drive to report right. I suppose if I didn't use a lot of stuff over top of Windows, it might be different. But it's a lot of crap to set back up, tell all the websites and router firewall stuff to play nice with this new install, etc.