Zotac 1080ti (3 fans) overheating and thermal throttling extremely bad

Overtime
Go to solution Solved by Vandorlot,

Try reapplying the thermal paste; you don't have warranty support anyway. Also make sure its clean.

Without any overclocking, my 1080ti has recently been getting extremely hot and throttling down under base clock in any full load. Any idea how to fix it? It's a 3 year old card if that helps, all 3 fans spin. 

My case does have pretty bad airflow, but the thermals are almost the same with the entire pc side panel off, so I don't think it's an airflow issue.

Here's a video of it (sped up 800%)

Thanks!

(I set a temperature limit at 84 degrees in Afterburner because it would constantly jump to 90 degrees+ and shut my computer down when playing games.)

Try reapplying the thermal paste; you don't have warranty support anyway. Also make sure its clean.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

As what ^^^ said, make sure and blow out dust in the fins to, try undervolting if none of that helps

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Cole, the beast said:

Is the heat sink clogged with dust?

Just now, scuff gang said:

As what ^^^ said, make sure and blow out dust in the fins to, try undervolting if none of that helps

I've cleaned out the card completely, it didn't help as it was relatively clean already. I also tried lowering the core voltage % and power limit on afterburner with barely any difference

4 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

I don't have any thermal paste on-hand right now but I'll order some asap, hopefully with minimal shipping delays.

Thanks!

Just now, Overtime said:

I don't have any thermal paste on-hand right now but I'll order some asap, hopefully with minimal shipping delays.

Thanks!

Make sure to get non conductive!

most paste is non conductive, but I know there’s a few that are, can’t remember by name.

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, scuff gang said:

Make sure to get non conductive!

most paste is non conductive, but I know there’s a few that are, can’t remember by name.

YES this is extremly extremly important. Unlike CPUS, the GPU die need to be fully covered because it could have hot spots so you can't really overdo it (Jayz2Cents puts a LOT on it). However you need it to not conduct because if it is conductive it could fry the GPU. IC Diamond is reccomenended by many people and Linus himself and I have used it in the past (its not conductive).

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

4 minutes ago, Overtime said:

I've cleaned out the card completely, it didn't help as it was relatively clean already. I also tried lowering the core voltage % and power limit on afterburner with barely any difference

Can you make sure that the screws are still tight that hold down the heat sink? Over time vibrations from the fans can make them loose.

Just now, Cole, the beast said:

Can you make sure that the screws are still tight that hold down the heat sink? Over time vibrations from the fans can make them loose.

Doubt this, fans barely vibrate, and the screws are spring loaded.

AMD blackout rig

3 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

YES this is extremly extremly important. Unlike CPUS, the GPU die need to be fully covered because it could have hot spots so you can't really overdo it (Jayz2Cents puts a LOT on it). However you need it to not conduct because if it is conductive it could fry the GPU. IC Diamond is reccomenended by many people and Linus himself and I have used it in the past (its not conductive).

Lots of thermal pastes on amazon/newegg in my area aren't available or are very expensive, do you think the Noctua NT-H1 would do the trick? It's non-conductive on their website and is at a reasonable price.

1 minute ago, Overtime said:

Lots of thermal pastes on amazon/newegg in my area aren't available or are very expensive, do you think the Noctua NT-H1 would do the trick? It's non-conductive on their website and is at a reasonable price.

Yes that would be perfectly fine. Noctua makes great products.

My Rig

Peripherals

Just now, Vandorlot said:

Yes that would be perfectly fine. Noctua makes great products.

I'll order some right now, thanks for all your help!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 5:42 AM, scuff gang said:

Doubt this, fans barely vibrate, and the screws are spring loaded.

The screws for the backplate of my zotac 1080 amp extreme where very lose on two and a bit lose on one screw.

I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on my gpu and it worked wonders. 13 °C cooler with half the fan speed.