C++ Loops

Skreedles
Go to solution Solved by CornOnJacob,

It should be "firstnumber++" not "Firstnumber + firstnumber++". The ++ makes it go up by one, so you don't need more addition. You should also consider using a For loop:

for (i=firstnumber, i<=secondnumber, i++) {     cout << i;}

Forgive my bad syntax. I haven't used C++ in a long while.

I'm stumped, how do I write a loop where I put in a positive number, then I input another number and the loop counts until the otehr number and sums all of the numbers along the way.

Ex. I input 1,

Then I input 3

The program would go:

sum = 6.

how I understand it is:

cout << what is your first number?

cin >> firstnumber

cout << What is your second number?

cin>>secondnumber

while(firstnumber < secondnumber && firstnumber > 0)

{

firstnumber + firstnumber ++

}

cout << firstnumber

I know I ahven't decalred all of my integers and etc. but this is the just of what I'm at.

It should be "firstnumber++" not "Firstnumber + firstnumber++". The ++ makes it go up by one, so you don't need more addition. You should also consider using a For loop:

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

If you can say what you get when compiling this that might help ;) (i think, i am also a c++ noob :P)

You should do your own homework.

I didn't say "hey guys do this for me!" I asked if anyone could help me with a problem I'm having, because I'm not understanding how it is written out in my text, nor how my instructortries to explains C++.

+=

or

-= is what I use for operations if I remember correctly

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I finally found this in my book.

it looks like you already know that you need to declare the integers, so that might be a good start

then, you could try pushing "compile" and see what the compiler has to say

+=

or

-= is what I use for operations if I remember correctly

"++" is the same as "+= 1" and "--" is the same as "-= 1". Either one should work.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

"++" is the same as "+= 1" and "--" is the same as "-= 1". Either one should work.

Yerp that's correct, x += y means add y to x and where as x++ means increment x so in loops if you just want to increase by 1 then you'd use x++ but if you'd want to increment lets say by a dynamic integer then you'd use x += y where y is the dynamic int.

Same thing goes for -= and -- but that instead subtracts and decrements

Yeah like @Nallown said it, however if the shorthand confuses you, its OK to use y = x + y.

Comb it with a brick

Yerp that's correct, x += y means add y to x and where as x++ means increment x so in loops if you just want to increase by 1 then you'd use x++ but if you'd want to increment lets say by a dynamic integer then you'd use x += y where y is the dynamic int.

Same thing goes for -= and -- but that instead subtracts and decrements

Yeah like @Nallown said it, however if the shorthand confuses you, its OK to use y = x + y.

i think he needs a working algorithm first, maybe with a code which actually compiles, that'd be sweet

i think he needs a working algorithm first, maybe with a code which actually compiles, that'd be sweet

@Skreedles already has this (which is the right idea, just broken):

while(firstnumber < secondnumber && firstnumber > 0)      {        firstnumber + firstnumber ++       }cout << firstnumber

If he changes it to this, then it should work just fine:

while(firstNumber <= secondNumber && firstNumber > 0) //Capitalization of vars makes it easier to read, no functional change{        cout << firstNumber;        firstNumber++;}

If he wants the sum of the numbers too, then he can do this:

while(firstNumber <= secondNumber && firstNumber > 0)      {        cout << firstNumber;        sumOfNumbers += firstNumber;        firstNumber++;      }cout << sumOfNumbers;

Thank you I ended up adapting off of this.

Thank you I ended up adapting off of this.

Happy to help :)

If you're all set then hit "Mark Solved" on the post that solved your problem.

@Skreedles already has this (which is the right idea, just broken):

it looked more like a wrong syntax for a wrong algorithm

If he wants the sum of the numbers too, then he can do this:

that's actually the only thing that he asked for in the first post

he can do it like this

while(firstNumber <= secondNumber)         sum += firstNumber++;

it looked more like a wrong syntax for a wrong algorithm

that's actually the only thing that he asked for in the first post

he can do it like this

while(firstNumber <= secondNumber)         sum += firstNumber++;

Might aswell use for then

for(int x = firstNumber; x <= secondNumber; x++){sum += x;}

Might aswell use for then

for(int x = firstNumber; x <= secondNumber; x++){sum += x;}

i didn't go for a 'for' loop because the initialization is already done, by the way it's almost a matter of taste, the thing that the OP should consider is the usage of a totalizer and a loop

will he? won't he? god knows