Case Fans For Node 202

Ashy2874

Hey guys, need suggestions on which case fans for my case node 202.

Currently my node 202 have the Asus Strix GTX1070 and doesn't have any case fans pulling the air to cool down the gpu. Right now just a small desk fan pushing in fresh air to through the mesh filter. 

I mean with this current solution, such a fast build up of dust and cleaning the pc with this case definitely post a challenge. I'm currently looking at the noctua fans and want some opinions on which ones should I get. I've contacted the noctua technical support team and they said I should go for the NF-A12x25 or NF A12x15 if there is not enough space. 

Which one you think I should get? I don't know whether the x25 variant would fit or not, if do then wouldn't the NF-S12A be better? If it doesn't fit, then I'll go with the A12x15 instead.

Considering it's quite a tight case, I'd go for NF-F12s or Silent Wings 3s.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Considering it's quite a tight case, I'd go for NF-F12s or Silent Wings 3s.

ok why the F12? The advantage of it vs the S12 or A12? It is the same size as the S12A and A12x25

Yeah, personally I'd always go for the 2000RPM models as at least then you have the option of sacrificing noise for it not overheating.

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-performance-comparison-to-nf-f12-and-nf-s12a

I'd always prefer the top fan speed to be audible, as if you set the fan profile right then it will never happen unless you have some sort of power virus running and it effectively means you will know about it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

12 minutes ago, Ashy2874 said:

ok why the F12? The advantage of it vs the S12 or A12? It is the same size as the S12A and A12x25

The F12 is more optimised for static pressure, which is what you're looking for in such a cramped case like yours.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

53 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yeah, personally I'd always go for the 2000RPM models as at least then you have the option of sacrificing noise for it not overheating.

https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x25-performance-comparison-to-nf-f12-and-nf-s12a

I'd always prefer the top fan speed to be audible, as if you set the fan profile right then it will never happen unless you have some sort of power virus running and it effectively means you will know about it.

The A12 is the like the all rounder for anything and the S12 is more suited for case fans. So the A12 is better than S12 also in terms of pressure airflow? Cuz by looking at the specs, the S12 have higher CFM than A12 even tho its rpm is lower than A12.

51 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The F12 is more optimised for static pressure, which is what you're looking for in such a cramped case like yours.

Really? I thought its better for to be on the positive side, only on the gpu side since it needs fresh air pulling in to cool the gpu 

OR

negative to pull the heat out?

Which 1 is actually better? I'm sorta lost since I'm blowing my desk fan right into my gpu side now and the temps lowered and that would be the optimal way if I want to install the case fans.

42 minutes ago, Ashy2874 said:

Really? I thought its better for to be on the positive side, only on the gpu side since it needs fresh air pulling in to cool the gpu 

OR

negative to pull the heat out?

Which 1 is actually better? I'm sorta lost since I'm blowing my desk fan right into my gpu side now and the temps lowered and that would be the optimal way if I want to install the case fans.

I think you're mistaking static pressure for the general air pressure inside the case.

What I meant by the NF-F12 being more optimised for static pressure is that it's meant to push/pull air through tight, restricted spaces (like radiators for example), compared to something like the S12 which should be better at pushing air around an open case. Generally, pressure optimised fans like the F12 are more versatile. Since the Node 202 is fairly tight, and there's not a lot of open free space around in it, an NF-F12 or similar would be optimal.

Air pressure refers to how many intakes and exhausts you have in your case (positive when there are more intakes, and negative when there are more exhausts). I'm not too familiar with the Node 202's fan layout options personally, but what I can say is definitely set up your fans to deliver fresh air to the graphics card and CPU area, and if there's another slot open then you could also mount an exhaust, though make sure to set it up in such a way that it can take out the hot air, not the cold air that's meant to reach the CPU/GPU first. I always go for positive pressure, instead of negative, as it assures you that components aren't choking for air (as long as the fans are set up correctly) and it helps in preventing dust build-up.

7 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

The A12 is the like the all rounder for anything and the S12 is more suited for case fans. So the A12 is better than S12 also in terms of pressure airflow? Cuz by looking at the specs, the S12 have higher CFM than A12 even tho its rpm is lower than A12.

The NF-S12A delivers more airflow with few obstructions but that isn't the case here. NF-A12x25's are probably the best solution. 

25mm thick fans fit just fine. Here's an example: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/tdr6Mp

6 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

What I meant by the NF-F12 being more optimised for static pressure is that it's meant to push/pull air through tight, restricted spaces (like radiators for example), compared to something like the S12 which should be better at pushing air around an open case. Generally, pressure optimised fans like the F12 are more versatile. Since the Node 202 is fairly tight, and there's not a lot of open free space around in it, an NF-F12 or similar would be optimal.

All fans have some degree of static pressure and NF-A12x25's aren't short of that. The NF-F12 is a fairly extreme design that has great static pressure but it's not as quiet nor anywhere as versatile as the NF-A12x25 which is arguably the best and most versatile 120mm fan. 

The fans aren't going to be directly up against a heatsink but instead feeding into the graphics card fans so the NF-A12x25's greater airflow would probably be better. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

I think you're mistaking static pressure for the general air pressure inside the case.

Air pressure refers to how many intakes and exhausts you have in your case (positive when there are more intakes, and negative when there are more exhausts). I'm not too familiar with the Node 202's fan layout options personally, but what I can say is definitely set up your fans to deliver fresh air to the graphics card and CPU area, and if there's another slot open then you could also mount an exhaust, though make sure to set it up in such a way that it can take out the hot air, not the cold air that's meant to reach the CPU/GPU first. I always go for positive pressure, instead of negative, as it assures you that components aren't choking for air (as long as the fans are set up correctly) and it helps in preventing dust build-up.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NF-S12A delivers more airflow with few obstructions but that isn't the case here. NF-A12x25's are probably the best solution. 

25mm thick fans fit just fine. Here's an example: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/tdr6Mp

All fans have some degree of static pressure and NF-A12x25's aren't short of that. The NF-F12 is a fairly extreme design that has great static pressure but it's not as quiet nor anywhere as versatile as the NF-A12x25 which is arguably the best and most versatile 120mm fan. 

The fans aren't going to be directly up against a heatsink but instead feeding into the graphics card fans so the NF-A12x25's greater airflow would probably be better. 

From the link you give me, the builder uses F12. Does that mean F12 is better or during the building process, A12 wasn't yet released? 

I'll stick to 25 height variant since it fit.

Also the builder uses the big shuriken cpu cooler. Right now I'm using Cryorig C7 and I'm planning to change to Noctua N9LI chromax. Is it better than C7 or should I just change to big shuriken as well?

6 minutes ago, Ashy2874 said:

From the link you give me, the builder uses F12. Does that mean F12 is better or during the building process, A12 wasn't yet released? 

I'll stick to 25 height variant since it fit.

Also the builder uses the big shuriken cpu cooler. Right now I'm using Cryorig C7 and I'm planning to change to Noctua N9LI chromax. Is it better than C7 or should I just change to big shuriken as well?

The link was just to show that 25mm thick fans fit fine. The Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B perform better. Why were you planning to change your cooler in the first place? What cpu are you cooling?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

The link was just to show that 25mm thick fans fit fine. The Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B perform better. Why were you planning to change your cooler in the first place? What cpu are you cooling?

I5-8400, I mean I rather have better cooling just to make my mind at ease when playing games

8 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

I5-8400, I mean I rather have better cooling just to make my mind at ease when playing games

The 8400 isn't hard to cool. If you already have the C7 and your temps are fine, there's little to no practical benefit of replacing it unless there's something unsatisfactory about it. 

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 8400 isn't hard to cool. If you already have the C7 and your temps are fine, there's little to no practical benefit of replacing it unless there's something unsatisfactory about it. 

With the C7, CPU during gaming since that's the highest load, highest is 65C and lowest is 62C. If you think that is fine then it's fine. If not, would the shuriken make a bigger difference in temp or just few degrees?  

The gpu side, max is 73C. Both cpu vents and gpu vents have desk fan blowing fresh air directly at it so I do think without the fans, temp will be definitely be higher. So that's why I think 2 fans is needed on the gpu side.

Game was MHW:IB, with 1080p monitor at 60hz (the monitor refresh rate).

If you do suggest shuriken 3, would changing the fan to Noctua makes a difference or just aesthetics? And the AF series is your absolute recommendation rather than F12 or the S12

3 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

With the C7, CPU during gaming since that's the highest load, highest is 65C and lowest is 62C. If you think that is fine then it's fine. If not, would the shuriken make a bigger difference in temp or just few degrees?  

The gpu side, max is 73C. Both cpu vents and gpu vents have desk fan blowing fresh air directly at it so I do think without the fans, temp will be definitely be higher. So that's why I think 2 fans is needed on the gpu side.

Game was MHW:IB, with 1080p monitor at 60hz (the monitor refresh rate).

If you do suggest shuriken 3, would changing the fan to Noctua makes a difference or just aesthetics? And the AF series is your absolute recommendation rather than F12 or the S12

65c is pretty low for load. The Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B would still perform better but there's no practical benefit for either performance nor longevity. The Big Shuriken 3 is better but doesn't fit. 

73c is fine. What are load temps without the desk fan?

The NF-S12A is not very well suited since the side panel vent isn't very open. The NF-F12 might perform slightly better but it also might not. Noctua's recommendation indicates the latter. It's definitely not as quiet as the NF-A12x25.

If you have the money to blow, I recommend the NF-A12x25. It's arguably the best 120mm fan and hard to go wrong with. 

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

65c is pretty low for load. The Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B would still perform better but there's no practical benefit for either performance nor longevity. The Big Shuriken 3 is better but doesn't fit. 

The NF-S12A is not very well suited since the side panel vent isn't very open. The NF-F12 might perform slightly better but it also might not. Noctua's recommendation indicates the latter. It's definitely not as quiet as the NF-A12x25.

If you have the money to blow, I recommend the NF-A12x25. It's arguably the best 120mm fan and hard to go wrong with. 

Sorry, meant to say big shuriken 2 Rev B. Changing to A12x15 would be better then? I'll update once I'm home abt the temp. 

Also I'll take the A12 for the case fans, since it's pretty much 2 ppl recommending it, you and the noctua technical team. Hope they have chromax soon after this pandemic. Better all black than the brown

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ok tried it without desk fan. CPU max temp 76C and lowest 74C whereas GPU max is 83C

19 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

Sorry, meant to say big shuriken 2 Rev B. Changing to A12x15 would be better then? I'll update once I'm home abt the temp. 

The thicker NF-A12x15 on the cooler probably wouldn't fit in the case and it has different fan mounting holes that are walled off so the included fan clips have a bit harder time reaching. https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/comments/awljbr/noctua_nfa12x15_replacement_fan_for_scythe_big/

10 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

Ok tried it without desk fan. CPU max temp 76C and lowest 74C whereas GPU max is 83C

That's fine. A better cooler can help lower noise but there's not much point in lowering temps when your cpu has a locked multiplier. 

On 4/22/2020 at 8:23 AM, WoodenMarker said:

The thicker NF-A12x15 on the cooler probably wouldn't fit in the case and it has different fan mounting holes that are walled off so the included fan clips have a bit harder time reaching. https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/comments/awljbr/noctua_nfa12x15_replacement_fan_for_scythe_big/

That's fine. A better cooler can help lower noise but there's not much point in lowering temps when your cpu has a locked multiplier. 

If that's the case, do you think it is even worthed to upgrade to NHL9I or the Shuriken 2? If its just few degrees improvements, then I don't see the point.

7 minutes ago, Ashy2874 said:

If that's the case, do you think it is even worthed to upgrade to NHL9I or the Shuriken 2? If its just few degrees improvements, then I don't see the point.

No, lower temps won't make any practical difference. 

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

No, lower temps won't make any practical difference. 

But does it help in the long life of the component? I mean if there's no giant leap between my 8th gen and whatver gen in next year or so then I won't upgrade and I want to keep my cpu alive until there's a giant leap in architecture 

34 minutes ago, Ashy2874 said:

But does it help in the long life of the component? I mean if there's no giant leap between my 8th gen and whatver gen in next year or so then I won't upgrade and I want to keep my cpu alive until there's a giant leap in architecture 

Yes but it'll probably be irrelevant by then. Lasting 20+ years vs. any longer probably isn't going to make any practical difference. 

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes but it'll probably be irrelevant by then. Lasting 20+ years vs. any longer probably isn't going to make any practical difference. 

Alright, then I'll just probably stick with the C7. The case fans is settled.

Just out of topic, I prefer to go way more compact case. Do you think I should change the case to Dan A4 or Ghost S1 or any similar sizes? Would the thermals increase with those cases? The reason I get node 202 cuz of it was the most compact at that time and now that I've found out there's even more smaller, I want to get to reduce the pc cases taking up my desk space and max portability.

11 hours ago, Ashy2874 said:

Alright, then I'll just probably stick with the C7. The case fans is settled.

Just out of topic, I prefer to go way more compact case. Do you think I should change the case to Dan A4 or Ghost S1 or any similar sizes? Would the thermals increase with those cases? The reason I get node 202 cuz of it was the most compact at that time and now that I've found out there's even more smaller, I want to get to reduce the pc cases taking up my desk space and max portability.

Is the system too noisy? There are certainly ways to lower noise but it's up to you what's satisfactory. 

Are you standing the Node 202 up on its side? Are you aiming to reduce volume or footprint?

22 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is the system too noisy? There are certainly ways to lower noise but it's up to you what's satisfactory. 

Are you standing the Node 202 up on its side? Are you aiming to reduce volume or footprint?

Yeh it's quite noisy with gpu fan at max rpm while playing games. Maybe cuz the gpu is old and have to work harder to keep itself cool and outputting the performance I asked for. Yes it's standing up. Both actually, just want it to be smaller in overall size so that less space it will take when it is inside the bag