I am working on a new build with the hardware below:

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler

PSU: EVGA 600 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Everything seems to turn on/light up but when it boots i get 1 long beep and 2 short beeps which i have read online that it could be a RAM or graphics card issue. I have removed the GPU and tried booting without it, tried moving RAM around, tried switching between HDMI and DVI ports but i still get same beeps and nothing displays on my monitor. What could be the issue? Any suggestions?

your cpu doesn’t have an apu so the no gpu test has problems.  The way to test ram is to test a single stick at a time.  Checking ports is a thing too of course.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

One beep followed by two short beeps is no RAM detected or RAM error

One continuous beep followed by three short beeps is video card error.

5 long beeps=RAM training failed.

On some motherboards, the video card error will be at a different pitch than RAM.

So testing without a GPU is pointless? Tried it with one RAM stick in at a time and same beeps.

4 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

One beep followed by two short beeps is no RAM detected or RAM error

One continuous beep followed by three short beeps is video card error.

5 long beeps=RAM training failed.

On some motherboards, the video card error will be at a different pitch than RAM.

So most likely a RAM error or bad RAM? i can't try different RAM sticks yet, not till later.

Assuming that board uses an AMI Bios.  But there may be non standard beep codes the ODM puts in also.

1 minute ago, Falkentyne said:

Assuming that board uses an AMI Bios.  But there may be non standard beep codes the ODM puts in also.

The codes make sense though. Meaning that the error is either graphics card or RAM according to beeps and the issue i am having is i get no signal to my display, which aligns with the code.

AMI Bios beep codes.

1 short DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed
2 short Memory parity error A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
3 short Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad
4 short System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory
5 short Processor error The system CPU has failed
6 short Gate A20 failure The keyboard controller IC has failed, which is not allowing Gate A20 to switch the processor to protected mode. Replace the keyboard controller
7 short Virtual mode processor exception error The CPU has generated an exception error because of a fault in the CPU or motherboard circuitry
8 short Display memory read/write error The system video adapter is missing or defective
9 short ROM checksum error The contents of the system BIOS ROM does not match the expected checksum value. The BIOS ROM is probably defective and should be replaced
10 short CMOS shutdown register read/write error The shutdown for the CMOS has failed
11 short Cache error The L2 cache is faulty
1 long, 2 short Failure in video system An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered
1 long, 3 short Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
1 long, 8 short Display test failure The video adapter is either missing or defective
2 short POST Failure One of the hardware testa have failed
1 long POST has passed all tests

information pulled from https://warp9-systems.proboards.com/thread/1240/bios-post-code-beeps?page=1#post-37467

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Socra01, 

I'm interrested to know if you finaly solve your problem because I think I get almost the same issue with a similar new configuration.

Motherboard : MSI Pro serie B450M- A Pro Max

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

RAM : HyperX  2x 4 GB DDR4 2666

HD : SSD 250 GB SATA M2 

I just built this configuration 

On boot I get one beep followed by two short beeps. Power supply looks ok, fan and led too

I have no video at motherboard HDMI output, and no access to bios

I try to remove one RAM and then I get same beeps

I try to remove two RAM and then I get 3 short beep instead.

I'm effraid my motherboard is faulty

Thanks for your help

• 7 months later...

guys, let me share my solution. 

Story: 

I have built 2 new PCs

-  MSI B550, ryzen 5600x, corsair vengance  ram 

- and msi B450. ryzen 3100, g.skill ram, 

- tested with three video cards 6770, gtx 970, radeon 5600xt , two new power supplies, 4 sticks of various ram etc 

Problem:

when installation was complete, i was getting 1 long , 2 short beeps

I've tried everything - replacing psu, graphic card, removing gpu, changing ram, removing disks, even upgrading BIOS (this might help a bit with amd 5000 series) 

nothing worked - i was still getting 1 long, 2 short beeps

=> Reason was that I have not connected the monitor.  ( I think PC didn't know which port should be used for displaying image, maybe it tried to use the one on motherboard) 

=> My Solution: I've connected PC with a monitor. (in my case I used Display Port) 

At the beginning I got the error, but PC started - which confused me. 

Next boot-ups were / are without errors. 

I hope this helps someone. (double check the monitor and cable)

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2020 at 12:10 PM, tumiwi said:

guys, let me share my solution. 

Story: 

I have built 2 new PCs

-  MSI B550, ryzen 5600x, corsair vengance  ram 

- and msi B450. ryzen 3100, g.skill ram, 

- tested with three video cards 6770, gtx 970, radeon 5600xt , two new power supplies, 4 sticks of various ram etc 

Problem:

when installation was complete, i was getting 1 long , 2 short beeps

I've tried everything - replacing psu, graphic card, removing gpu, changing ram, removing disks, even upgrading BIOS (this might help a bit with amd 5000 series) 

nothing worked - i was still getting 1 long, 2 short beeps

=> Reason was that I have not connected the monitor.  ( I think PC didn't know which port should be used for displaying image, maybe it tried to use the one on motherboard) 

=> My Solution: I've connected PC with a monitor. (in my case I used Display Port) 

At the beginning I got the error, but PC started - which confused me. 

Next boot-ups were / are without errors. 

I hope this helps someone. (double check the monitor and cable)

I made an account just to thank you for this.

I have recently built my first PC and have been having this post beep code infrequently for some time and it has been infuriating!

I have even contacted nvidia to RMA my 3080 fe and it's been such a crap process. As soon as I saw this I tested it out and I have been able to consistently reproduce the beep code on an MSI b550-a pro.

This needs to be more widely known rather than people just saying the card is dead, the L2 cache is faulty, and just 'rip'.

Thank you, hopefully I don't get any more beep codes!

• 6 months later...

I also have to thank you.. although it means gravedigging. Same here, b550-a pro. It worked fine i just noticed it when playing around with wake on lan (and display powered off). Interesting find and scary as well. MSI should publish these codes and make it more clear.

One long beep and 2 short beeps is a video card error. If your video card for sure works, make sure the video card is seated/plugged in properly. If seating, make sure the slot isn't damaged or dusty. if using a SATA cable for your video card, check the slot for damage, and check the cable for damage. If you think it is the RAM, then you are wrong. One long beep and 2 short beeps is video card, one long beep and 3 short is a memory (RAM) issue, and one long and 8 short is a defective/missing video adapter. I'm not even 18 and I just proved you wrong, whoever thinks it is a RAM issue.

• 1 month later...

My pc has been running very well since I built it but recently I have been having some issues. When I turn on my computer the EzDebug DRAM light blinks once then turns off. When running my computer everything works great but every few minutes I hear 1 short beep. I have searched around and know it relates to the memory so I reseated the memory, and updated the bios just in case. Nothing has solved it I am not sure what to do next. 

Thanks

Pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Just_Korblox/builds/#view=VwBZxr

4 hours ago, Catsrsooocool said:

My pc has been running very well since I built it but recently I have been having some issues. When I turn on my computer the EzDebug DRAM light blinks once then turns off. When running my computer everything works great but every few minutes I hear 1 short beep. I have searched around and know it relates to the memory so I reseated the memory, and updated the bios just in case. Nothing has solved it I am not sure what to do next. 

Thanks

Pc: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Just_Korblox/builds/#view=VwBZxr

Maybe do a run or two of memtest86. Tests for hardware boogers in the memory which can just spontaneously happen though it’s rare. It’s slow and very likely won’t turn up anything but it’s free.  Maybe run it overnight or something when you’re not using the computer anyway. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I hope maybe it can help someone by responding here since it was on the front page of google search for "1 long beep 2 short". I tried everything. New RAM. New GPU. New power supply. (I had them all available to swap in luckily, didn't have to buy them) Nothing worked. Took everything apart. rebuilt the entire computer. Jiggled all the cables. Twice. Nothing. Switched from using a display port cable (1.4) to HDMI (2.1). Worked. Booted right up, no problems. Then used a new display port cable (1.4) and it worked just fine as well. It was my freaking cable. Aaaaaauuuuuggggh. 

• 2 months later...

I have a problem on an asus prime a320m-a i get 1 long beep and 2 short ones and i reinstall the ram no use i reinstall the graphic card and i tried without ram in it same problem with out the graphic card no use i even started without the small battery and i still get the same problem. What can i do? (And this morning it started with the beeps i reseted the bios and it did it again i try to restart and it worked but after 2 hrs it shutdown and started to beep again like that and no matter what i do it still does ( i reseted the bios like 4 times and nothing changes) Did i fry my motherboard or cpu? 

• 1 month later...

Topic is old, but recently i bought a Lenovo Y25-30 240Hz, and when the DP cable provided in the box (which has a mark for 8k bla bla) is connected I am getting this beep sounds, 1 long and 2 short.

My build is MSI X570 Tomahawk , AMD R5 5600x, 2x8GB Corsair 3200Mhz and GPU Geforce 1070( DVI-D connected, HDMI connected, DP connected to the new monitor, last DP free).

So i don't really know why this happens. I will come back with feedback after RTX 4070 will arrive Monday. Maybe Geforce 1070 has some issue, but in Windows it can run at 240Hz.

Edit

Another theory is maybe i had only 8 pwr pins connected to MB CPU, now after rebuild with new GPU i have 8+4 pwr pins connected.

The beeps are gone.