Soldering Iron

Pastorcasper 2.0

So I am interested in potentially getting a soldering iron so as to be able to do more things with electronics and such. I don't know much of anything specifics, so any advice, and any suggestions for a "starting kit" for soldering, and tips such as having like a good workspace (what that looks like) or whatever. 
thanks

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

Budget?

General electronics, large cables, small SMD, etc.?

like i said @James Evens i dont know much, i was thinking mainly just general unless theres an option for like everything? and idk if what i was looking at is valid but pry about $100ish range, lemme know if thats not a very valid budget for this

This will get you started.

2in1 862D+SMD Soldering Iron Station Hot Air Gun LED Digital Display w/4 Nozzles | eBay

This is a bit cheaper and should work just as well.
2in1 862D+ SMD Soldering Iron Hot Air Rework Station Hot Air Gun Digital Display | eBay

Whatever you get, make sure it has several different soldering tips with it plus a few different nozzles for the airwand too as these show.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

57 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

This will get you started.

2in1 862D+SMD Soldering Iron Station Hot Air Gun LED Digital Display w/4 Nozzles | eBay

This is a bit cheaper and should work just as well.
2in1 862D+ SMD Soldering Iron Hot Air Rework Station Hot Air Gun Digital Display | eBay

Whatever you get, make sure it has several different soldering tips with it plus a few different nozzles for the airwand too as these show.

alrighty thanks, and one last question, i looked up some youtube videos and theres some different techniques/methods for soldering, is there like a general method or whatever or does it vary based on situation? and like flux usage? sry im a total noob, but i dont really have anyone irl to teach me :(

and so the air gun would be to melt solder already on to remove it, and then the soldering iron is obviously for actual soldering yes, recommended solder? or does it vary by task?

It depends if you are soldering THT or SMD component. if its THT(through hole technology, the bigger ones where the pin of the components is through a copper ring) pretty much any soldering iron from local electronics store will do. that's atleast what i have for my home electronics. however, u might want one with adjustable temperature. thats pretty nice

if its SMD/SMT(surface mounded devices/technology) u want one with a smaller tip, however a small iron tip cant really solder THT that well so maybe a soldering iron where you are able to change to different iron tips.

When soldering u want to heat up both the copper island and the pin of the component like in a 45 degree angle and having the solder tin in front of your soldering iron. 

And flux is KEY. Solder tin have flux ''built in'' however, if you are holding your solder iron on the tin for too long it gets burned. that makes your soldering bad and scuffed. You want to reapply some flux and heat up afterwards to remove any holes or tin spikes that your soldering will have if you heat up for too long..

EE student

15 minutes ago, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

alrighty thanks, and one last question, i looked up some youtube videos and theres some different techniques/methods for soldering, is there like a general method or whatever or does it vary based on situation? and like flux usage? sry im a total noob, but i dont really have anyone irl to teach me :(

That's how I learned - Had to figure it out myself at first.

There are indeed standard methods used for most situations, for those that don't fall into a typical kind of work that's when you'll have to do your homework. The basics always apply but it's something only experience can teach when you do run into something odd or problematic.

Find something that's old and preferably dead such as a bad board, GPU or whatever and you can practice with it to get a feel for what's going on. One of the very first things I did was removal and replacement of caps, namely the older style ones since they are rather easy to do. Get them out and then set them back in, that's the only way to learn it yourself and you WILL learn.

For removal it's heat the legs from the backside of the board and simply pull it straight out. Can be done with either the pen or airwand, I personally prefer the wand for removal and even for setting back in for the most part.
For insertion of a new one I normally just dip the legs of the cap in my flux to coat them and work it that way.

The useage of flux is important, a light coating of the parts to be joined is all you really need to use. You'll also find out silver solder (No lead) is a total PITA to work with vs standard 60/40 (Tin/Lead) solder.

With normal soldering, a temp of about 400f is right, maybe a tad higher and that's with regular 60/40 solder, silver solder has a higher melting point and that's another thing I don't like about it.
Doesn't stick as well either, can't work it in as well and so on.

Great for plumbing but no so great for electronics.

I haven't seen an "Official" soldering thread yet for the basics and so on here, maybe it's time to create one that is pinned for guys looking for such info.

1 minute ago, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

and so the air gun would be to melt solder already on to remove it, and then the soldering iron is obviously for actual soldering yes, recommended solder? or does it vary by task?

Largely yes, that's how it's done.
Use of each tool will vary by the actual work to be done but normally the wand is for removal and the pen for installation of a piece.
I suggest whenever possible to use 60/40 solder - Makes life so much easier and ALWAYS use flux no matter what for installation.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

alright thanks, and yea a basics thread would be awesome cause like im interested in this and it obsiously opens up tons of possibilites to be able to use board and wires and whatnot and just be able to hook it all together on your own, but is for sure a bit confusing at first lol

Yes, it will do for most anything you could want it for.

I'd go for the first one I listed if possible but the other could do too.

BTW I just created a thread about that. 😉

16 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

That's how I learned - Had to figure it out myself at first.

There are indeed standard methods used for most situations, for those that don't fall into a typical kind of work that's when you'll have to do your homework. The basics always apply but it's something only experience can teach when you do run into something odd or problematic.

Find something that's old and preferably dead such as a bad board, GPU or whatever and you can practice with it to get a feel for what's going on. One of the very first things I did was removal and replacement of caps, namely the older style ones since they are rather easy to do. Get them out and then set them back in, that's the only way to learn it yourself and you WILL learn.

For removal it's heat the legs from the backside of the board and simply pull it straight out. Can be done with either the pen or airwand, I personally prefer the wand for removal and even for setting back in for the most part.
For insertion of a new one I normally just dip the legs of the cap in my flux to coat them and work it that way.

The useage of flux is important, a light coating of the parts to be joined is all you really need to use. You'll also find out silver solder (No lead) is a total PITA to work with vs standard 60/40 (Tin/Lead) solder.

With normal soldering, a temp of about 400f is right, maybe a tad higher and that's with regular 60/40 solder, silver solder has a higher melting point and that's another thing I don't like about it.
Doesn't stick as well either, can't work it in as well and so on.

Great for plumbing but no so great for electronics.

I haven't seen an "Official" soldering thread yet for the basics and so on here, maybe it's time to create one that is pinned for guys looking for such info.

Largely yes, that's how it's done.
Use of each tool will vary by the actual work to be done but normally the wand is for removal and the pen for installation of a piece.
I suggest whenever possible to use 60/40 solder - Makes life so much easier and ALWAYS use flux no matter what for installation.

so i have quite a few old laptops that i can destroy and do whatever with, would some of those be good to practice, or are those kinda small to start with?

There are two things which I think are critical in a soldering station: temperature control, and having a couple of tip sizes and styles available.

For simple SMD stuff you do not need a hot-air rework setup. A normal fine tip and a steady hand is plenty.

A fantasitc resource for hobby electronics is the EEVBlog, on YouTube and there's a forum too:

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2DjFE7Xf11URZqWBigcVOQ
  • https://www.eevblog.com/forum/
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ A tutorial on what tools you might want, other parts cover the soldering too.

I personally really like the TS80: it's small, has a couple of tip options, is powerful enough for a suprising number of jobs (despite it's low wattage, it has the heating cartidge near the tip meaning it puts the power down better than other solutions)

Hakko make good cheap temperature controlled soldering stations: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANZRT4M

A couple of accessories will make things a bit better:

• Good quality fine guage solder (the finer the better for SMD) I use multicore brand 60/40 leaded solder at 0.4mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R3RG7CI/
    • This solder contains flux, you'd still want extra flux for SMD but the flux core solder alone is good enough for through-hole and some larger SMD parts
  • A flux pen
  • Some isopopanol for cleaning boards before & after soldering
  • A brass/copper sponge to clean the soldering iron tip periodically while soldering
  • Jeweler's loupe for inspecting solder joints (I think this is especially important as you start out)

Some extensional accessories, esp if you do any SMD stuff:

• Fine tip for your iron
  • Solder wick
  • Bright light & magnifier. Some people like the jeweler's magnifiying visors.
  • Maybe a cheap USB microscope - these are great for soldering under when working with SMD parts

13 hours ago, Pastorcasper 2.0 said:

so i have quite a few old laptops that i can destroy and do whatever with, would some of those be good to practice, or are those kinda small to start with?

You'd be better off starting with some through-hole kits. There's loads of fun soldering kits available online, particuarly aliexpress and amazon.

A european designer of such kits is Vellmann: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vellmann+kit

Then, when you move onto SMD stuff you might enjoy a kit like these from EvilMadScientist: https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/922

These are also pretty fun: https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/918 -- a universal remote with only an "off" button. You can make friends at the local sports bar!

Tindie is a market place for small DIY electronics projects (a bit like Etsy for solderers) https://www.tindie.com/