Ryzen 3600 Thermal Issues with Dark Rock 4

jctappel67
Go to solution Solved by jctappel67,
3 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

Why did you go with a thermal pad instead of paste? I haven't heard great things about them...

I haven't heard anything negative about Carbonaut from Thermal Grizzly.

So far, I just did a Cinebench R20 that ran throughn it twice, temps never exceeded 71 C with my custom fan curve. Right now I've got it running FAH, a steady 73 C, at 4 GHz all cores from PBO, 1.3Vish. With the GPU also folding, and kicking off loads of its own heat. 

So far I'm happy. Will let it run for a bit, and might set the fan curve to the stock quiet fan curve later. 

Edit: Just had it fold for over 2 hours. Maximum temperature was 77 C. I am happy with that, since FAH seems to be a special kind of torture for CPUs...

My CPU is reaching temps of 86 C (with a steady 75C) under load with the BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4, which is way too high for such a beefy CPU cooler. I think it might be because I ran out of thermal paste when I reassembled the computer (had to RMA motherboard). 

Do you think it's because of too little thermal paste? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

F@H    EOC

Get new thermal paste and remount and reapply.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Depending on the load and couple other things, but i don't think that unreasonable. Reading on other threads as 3rd gen Ryzen can be bit iffy if you leave stock settings on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

How is your case ventilation? What fans and fan speeds are you running?

I'd look into manually setting voltages. I'm stable at 4.3ghz all core at 1.3V and if I leave it at auto (PBO) I see voltages up to 1.4V at 4.1-4.2 GHz. Max temps are 68C with a 21C room with my 4.3 OC. Noctua D15 cooler which is very similar in performance to yours.

Your temps are safe, but a bit high imo.

20 minutes ago, Demonic Donut said:

How is your case ventilation? What fans and fan speeds are you running?

I'd look into manually setting voltages. I'm stable at 4.3ghz all core at 1.3V and if I leave it at auto (PBO) I see voltages up to 1.4V at 4.1-4.2 GHz. Max temps are 68C with a 21C room with my 4.3 OC. Noctua D15 cooler which is very similar in performance to yours.

Your temps are safe, but a bit high imo.

I'm using a Cooler Master MB500 with 3x LL120 fans and 2x ML120 (OG style) fans. The LL120s are running the stock fan curve. 

I have the ML120s fan curve based on the CPU temps, and at 75C they go up to 2400 rpm which is really loud, so I had to manually change the fan curve. 

Running stock with PBO, and it does like to get up above 1.4V. 

Just got in a TG Carbonaut thermal pad, so I'll see how temps go with that

F@H    EOC

35 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

I'm using a Cooler Master MB500 with 3x LL120 fans and 2x ML120 (OG style) fans. The LL120s are running the stock fan curve. 

I have the ML120s fan curve based on the CPU temps, and at 75C they go up to 2400 rpm which is really loud, so I had to manually change the fan curve. 

Running stock with PBO, and it does like to get up above 1.4V. 

Just got in a TG Carbonaut thermal pad, so I'll see how temps go with that

Why did you go with a thermal pad instead of paste? I haven't heard great things about them...

3 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

I haven't heard anything negative about Carbonaut from Thermal Grizzly.

So far, I just did a Cinebench R20 that ran throughn it twice, temps never exceeded 71 C with my custom fan curve. Right now I've got it running FAH, a steady 73 C, at 4 GHz all cores from PBO, 1.3Vish. With the GPU also folding, and kicking off loads of its own heat. 

So far I'm happy. Will let it run for a bit, and might set the fan curve to the stock quiet fan curve later. 

Edit: Just had it fold for over 2 hours. Maximum temperature was 77 C. I am happy with that, since FAH seems to be a special kind of torture for CPUs...

F@H    EOC