Dell Inspiron 15R 5521

Hey LTT

I have a laptop Dell 15R 5521, which I bought in 2013 (I know its Old) but its not been used all these years as I had my work laptop also. 

Now I want to make use of this laptop for my children, as opposed to buying a new desktop. Configuration of laptop is

1TB Hdd, i5 3rd Gen, 2GB AMD Radeon GPU, 12 GB of DDR3 1600 Ram. With this setup laptop was good but recently in windows 10 it takes time in booting and loading apps. 

Will upgrading with a Crucial BX500 480 GB of sdd help in boosting performance ? Or should I get rid of this and buy a new one.

It will help but it won't make it perfect. I'd say reinstall windows 10 for now and save up for a decent upgrade later

1 hour ago, YKumar said:

1TB Hdd, i5 3rd Gen, 2GB AMD Radeon GPU, 12 GB of DDR3 1600 Ram. With this setup laptop was good but recently in windows 10 it takes time in booting and loading apps. 

Will upgrading with a Crucial BX500 480 GB of sdd help in boosting performance ? Or should I get rid of this and buy a new one.

If your main issue with the laptop is how long it takes to boot and load apps then swapping the HDD for a SSD will help tremendously. Since it's in an older laptop I would just go with the cheapest SSD you can get, the BX500 is pretty cheap so that'll be fine. You might be able to get a 2nd hand SSD for cheaper as well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 1:42 PM, 5x5 said:

It will help but it won't make it perfect. I'd say reinstall windows 10 for now and save up for a decent upgrade later

thanks. this part I have already done but still the performance is not what I was expecting.