Buy the iphone 11 pro NOW or WAIT for the iphone 12 ?

Finalcountdown

Hey hoping for some input from you guys. 
Should I buy the iphone 11 pro right now (April 15-2020) or wait for the iphone 12 ? 
Do we have a firm date on the iphone 12 series release dates ? 
Currently i'm rocking the iphone 6 but the battery is completely shot and I can't use it anymore even while plugged in ! 
I'm going to be sending it in for a battery repair so I can at least use it. 

Honestly as far as flagship devies go they dont really get that much better from my perspective. its all mostly more power then most people need in general. so if you need somthing now then i would just get the 11 and say screw the 12. Also beware battery repair with apple devices as i hear people have that happen then next thing they know all thier data was wiped (from apple authorised retailers. mabey try a third party shop. Should be cheaper too)

iPhone 12 should be coming in September as their flagships usually do. So... depends if you can hold out for that long. There's the newly released SE as well if you really don't care about all the bells and whistles. Outside of the cameras and face ID, I don't see much of a reason to go for the 11 if you're still enjoying the 6. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

10 hours ago, Finalcountdown said:

Hey hoping for some input from you guys. 
Should I buy the iphone 11 pro right now (April 15-2020) or wait for the iphone 12 ? 
Do we have a firm date on the iphone 12 series release dates ? 
Currently i'm rocking the iphone 6 but the battery is completely shot and I can't use it anymore even while plugged in ! 
I'm going to be sending it in for a battery repair so I can at least use it. 

I had this debate when I upgraded early. But from rumours the higher tier phones will be a new design with 5G. I’ve chosen to wait out and get the 2nd gen of phones with 5G let any issues get ironed out before I drop that much on a phone. Generally how I’ve done phones though, get the “S” model or a refresh like the new SE is of the 8 and the original SE was of the 5S. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I would personally wait for the iPhone 12 Pro (or whatever they are gonna call it), it will come with the best specs, a new design and overall better performance.

Also, why buy the iPhone 11 Pro, when the iPhone 12 Pro is just about to get released later this year, in my opinion, waiting for the iPhone 12 Pro is just the perfect way to go!

If you need a new phone and cant wait you wont be disappointed with the 11 pro, I use the 11 Pro Max and it is the best phone I've ever used. 

The 12 is rumoured to be a redesign but as of yet we know nothing about it so you could be waiting for an incremental update or a massive redesign. 

no matter which phone you choose though you'll be incredibly happy, the 11 pro is already pretty much perfect imo

1 minute ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

If you need a new phone and cant wait you wont be disappointed with the 11 pro, I use the 11 Pro Max and it is the best phone I've ever used. 

The 12 is rumoured to be a redesign but as of yet we know nothing about it so you could be waiting for an incremental update or a massive redesign. 

no matter which phone you choose though you'll be incredibly happy, the 11 pro is already pretty much perfect imo

I totally agree,

If you don't mind waiting, just wait.

But, if you can't wait and you want to get a new phone, you are not going to be disappointed AT ALL!

My Dad has an iPhone 11 Pro, and it is the best phone he ever used!

Just my 2 cents:

Do you NEED a phone right now, because your iPhone 6 is almost done for? If yes, then get one now. It's not like you can keep going with a non working phone ;)

You won't get disappointed. Going from an old 6 to a 2019 iPhone will be an insane leap forward.

The only thing you might miss is 90/120 Hz, if you're very into that. And even then it will be a great de vice.

If your current one still does the job, Wait.
2019 the first companies started with 90 Hz displays. 2020 is the year of 120 Hz, or AT LEAST 90 Hz for almost anything that's above midrange / upper range.

So, my bet is: Apple HAS to at least go up to 90 Hz, maybe even 120 Hz. Otherwise they won't be able to compete. No matter how many eDick points you have in Benchmarks, a 60 Hz screen will lose against a 90 or even 120 Hz screen, when it comes to fluidity and smoothness.

And if that's really the Case, you will get more than 60 Hz this year.

A possible Design change similar to the iPad Pro, hopefully USB-C (that will also be a reason to wait or to switch), and the obligatory as always: A bit faster, more power efficient, better cameras.

11 hours ago, Darkseth said:

Just my 2 cents:

Do you NEED a phone right now, because your iPhone 6 is almost done for? If yes, then get one now. It's not like you can keep going with a non working phone ;)

You won't get disappointed. Going from an old 6 to a 2019 iPhone will be an insane leap forward.

The only thing you might miss is 90/120 Hz, if you're very into that. And even then it will be a great de vice.

If your current one still does the job, Wait.
2019 the first companies started with 90 Hz displays. 2020 is the year of 120 Hz, or AT LEAST 90 Hz for almost anything that's above midrange / upper range.

So, my bet is: Apple HAS to at least go up to 90 Hz, maybe even 120 Hz. Otherwise they won't be able to compete. No matter how many eDick points you have in Benchmarks, a 60 Hz screen will lose against a 90 or even 120 Hz screen, when it comes to fluidity and smoothness.

And if that's really the Case, you will get more than 60 Hz this year.

A possible Design change similar to the iPad Pro, hopefully USB-C (that will also be a reason to wait or to switch), and the obligatory as always: A bit faster, more power efficient, better cameras.

Just making a point that 90/120Hz screens aren’t as much of a game changer as everyone seems to believe. It’s not gaming, you’re not running CSGO at 700FPS. Aside from scrolling you’re not really gonna notice it much. I’ve used an iPad Pro with promotion (120Hz) and it’s nice, I’d just take the extra battery and stick with 60. 

A good SoC is a lot more important than a 120Hz screen. I mean it’s good for drawing but do you really need the response time for scrolling through Twitter? Not really worth the trade offs.

@Lord Vile Luckily, everyone can decide for themselfes if they prefer more than 60 Hz or not. ;) And every preference is of course perfectly valid.

If YOU are fine with 60 Hz, good for you, and perfectly fine. For other's it's much more of a Gamechanger.

I don't care about gaming, and more than 60 Hz isn't just visible during Gaming. but i would never ever use an iPad with 60 Hz again for example. It just feels like it's lagging, or it has some kind of performance issues. Back to 120 Hz: Ah yea, finally it runs smooth again.

Same on my Desktop: My 144 Hz Monitor is a whole new world compared to 60. Even when i scroll through webpages. For example, even for pure office work and browsing i would not buy 60 Hz Monitors ever again.

Why would that be different on a phone? Some reviewer even said, 60 hz phones are unuseable for him, beause even 90 Hz is such a huge difference. And since it's the same for me on the iPad and PC Monitor, that would be the case on a Phone too for me personally. And for THAT experience, i'll gladly change in some battery life for it.

I don't think the SOC is more important. You will not feel ANY difference between the A13 and the upcoming A14. Even the A12 it will be difficult to see a difference, since iOS runs so well optimized. 

But 90 Hz? Yea, THAT will make it feel like "a new phone", at least for most.
But Apple really needs to bring that 90 Hz or even 120 Hz (of course with the Option to disable), otherwise they have Lost the flaggship Battle this year before it even started. And for the first time, iOS will not be the OS anymore, which "feels the smoothest". Despite the better optimization

Because these 60 Hz is the biggest bottleneck now for the "felt performance" in everyday usage, and they really need to catch up. At least on their Pro models.

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

@Lord Vile Luckily, everyone can decide for themselfes if they prefer more than 60 Hz or not. ;) And every preference is of course perfectly valid.

If YOU are fine with 60 Hz, good for you, and perfectly fine. For other's it's much more of a Gamechanger.

I don't care about gaming, and more than 60 Hz isn't just visible during Gaming. but i would never ever use an iPad with 60 Hz again for example. It just feels like it's lagging, or it has some kind of performance issues. Back to 120 Hz: Ah yea, finally it runs smooth again.

Same on my Desktop: My 144 Hz Monitor is a whole new world compared to 60. Even when i scroll through webpages. For example, even for pure office work and browsing i would not buy 60 Hz Monitors ever again.

Why would that be different on a phone? Some reviewer even said, 60 hz phones are unuseable for him, beause even 90 Hz is such a huge difference. And since it's the same for me on the iPad and PC Monitor, that would be the case on a Phone too for me personally. And for THAT experience, i'll gladly change in some battery life for it.

I don't think the SOC is more important. You will not feel ANY difference between the A13 and the upcoming A14. Even the A12 it will be difficult to see a difference, since iOS runs so well optimized. 

But 90 Hz? Yea, THAT will make it feel like "a new phone", at least for most.
But Apple really needs to bring that 90 Hz or even 120 Hz (of course with the Option to disable), otherwise they have Lost the flaggship Battle this year before it even started. And for the first time, iOS will not be the OS anymore, which "feels the smoothest". Despite the better optimization

Because these 60 Hz is the biggest bottleneck now for the "felt performance" in everyday usage, and they really need to catch up. At least on their Pro models.

Shame all of those movies and TV shows and most inline video is 24FPS then isn't it so that 144Hz means precisely FA.

Apart from refresh rate isn't something you notice. If you used exclusively 60Hz monitors for a week you wouldn't call it laggy because your eyes adjust. Sure if you go from 144 to 60 flipping back and forth you will notice but if you do if for an extended period of time you won't. You get advantages when it coms to things like competitive gaming because if you see an animation a fraction of a second in advance you have more chance of reacting to it but even then I'd argue unless your internet is stellar that tips the scales in the other direction. Only other thing would be bullet hells like Furi where 144Hz would help.

Helps in a few year when the A12 isn't supported and the A14 is...

I think they will implement it because they can but I don't think they should. On a phone it doesn't make sense, regardless of if apple do or don't do it it's still pointless same with wireless charging on phones. A lot of things on phones that are lauded as "Better" and look better on a side by side comparison aren't that great in day to day use. Take OLED, sure it looks great if you're watching HDR content but it doesn't look so great on battery life vs IPS and in day to day usage you don't notice the "Perfect blacks". Good for a TV, not amazing for a phone. High refresh rate, looks great when side by side, once your eyes have normalised you don't notice. See where I'm going with this?

@Lord Vile Actually, i do notice 60 Hz. I once had my 144 Hz monitor send in for repair for like 3-4 weeks, and was using 60 Hz only.

I noticed it in every Second when anything moved.

But that doesn't mean anything was unuseable, that's not what i meant. (however, the biggest loss was the second monitor, not the 144 Hz)

As soon i got it back: Oh finally, smooth again. I still could do anything, but i always clearly saw: This is not 144 Hz.

i can always clearly see when ti's 60 hz. No matter when you show me. I will be able to tell you, it runs at 60, and not 120/144.

I also never said, i have an advantage when scrolling through pages / twitter /anything else. But it looks much nicer to me. So much sharper, less blurry etc.
That's why i use that, and never want to go back to 60 Hz. Noone really "needs" that. but it's nice to have.

But i disagree with Oled. it IS better on Battery, as long you have any kind of Dark mode

And on my iPad Pro, i really wish it had Oled. Those Blacks can be really annoying when watching literaly any Movie/show, because you never see black. It's always some kind of glowy Grey (and the iPad Pro does have very good black levels for an IPS).

But this is absolutely nitpicking on the highest level possible.

But that's what this is about: 90/120 Hz does just look better. And it is possible today. So when i buy a phone for 1000 bucks, i actually do expect them to have it.
Since everyone can disable it for reasons, no issues there either.

I really do get your points tho, and also that Battery Life argument. Perfectly Valid.

However, we're talking about 4 digit smartphones. They better really impress me ^^

I am not even saying you're wrong, and i'm right this time. THIS topic here is simply my personal preference. 

47 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

@Lord Vile Actually, i do notice 60 Hz. I once had my 144 Hz monitor send in for repair for like 3-4 weeks, and was using 60 Hz only.

I noticed it in every Second when anything moved.

But that doesn't mean anything was unuseable, that's not what i meant. (however, the biggest loss was the second monitor, not the 144 Hz)

As soon i got it back: Oh finally, smooth again. I still could do anything, but i always clearly saw: This is not 144 Hz.

i can always clearly see when ti's 60 hz. No matter when you show me. I will be able to tell you, it runs at 60, and not 120/144.

I also never said, i have an advantage when scrolling through pages / twitter /anything else. But it looks much nicer to me. So much sharper, less blurry etc.
That's why i use that, and never want to go back to 60 Hz. Noone really "needs" that. but it's nice to have.

But i disagree with Oled. it IS better on Battery, as long you have any kind of Dark mode

And on my iPad Pro, i really wish it had Oled. Those Blacks can be really annoying when watching literaly any Movie/show, because you never see black. It's always some kind of glowy Grey (and the iPad Pro does have very good black levels for an IPS).

But this is absolutely nitpicking on the highest level possible.

But that's what this is about: 90/120 Hz does just look better. And it is possible today. So when i buy a phone for 1000 bucks, i actually do expect them to have it.
Since everyone can disable it for reasons, no issues there either.

I really do get your points tho, and also that Battery Life argument. Perfectly Valid.

However, we're talking about 4 digit smartphones. They better really impress me ^^

I am not even saying you're wrong, and i'm right this time. THIS topic here is simply my personal preference. 

To be fair phones have been at a plateau now for a while where nothing’s really been getting better. There’s only so much you can cram into a space. 

Wondering if Apple are gonna bring mini LED to iPads and phones though, then you get the battery saving on blacks and contrast of a OLED pretty much with battery savings like a IPS on your brighter stuff. 

5 hours ago, Darkseth said:

But Apple really needs to bring that 90 Hz or even 120 Hz (of course with the Option to disable)

If apple brings 90/120hz there will be no way they add a option to toggle back to 60. Thats how apple works.

21 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

They have that option on the iPad pro ^^

Nahh for some reason i think they wont do it. The iphone is their main device.

11 hours ago, EL02 said:

Nahh for some reason i think they wont do it. The iphone is their main device.

They offer it on the MacBook too. Well Hz between like 24 and 60