PS4 as a Steam Machine?

brat137
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Basically I was wondering if anyone thinks or knows whether this would be possible? The PS3 (originally at least) could have Linux installed on it and I was wondering if with an amount of tweaking whether the PS4 could be made to do the same but with Steam OS. I mean the machine itself should be powerful enough to act as the TV set-up HTPC which gets games streamed to it. Its nice and small and looks relatively nice.

Extensions of this would be could it be made to have a boot menu so you could have a PS4 and a Steam Machine. Just encase you like the exclusives.

Similar thoughts for Xbox One?

I am not really interested in hearing whether its a stupid idea because I know I could build something for a similar price etc etc, I like building PCs, just wondering if this could work.

CHEERS!

No, theoretically yes, but doable most likely not

Basically I was wondering if anyone thinks or knows whether this would be possible? The PS3 (originally at least) could have Linux installed on it and I was wondering if with an amount of tweaking whether the PS4 could be made to do the same but with Steam OS. I mean the machine itself should be powerful enough to act as the TV set-up HTPC which gets games streamed to it. Its nice and small and looks relatively nice.

Extensions of this would be could it be made to have a boot menu so you could have a PS4 and a Steam Machine. Just encase you like the exclusives.

I am not really interested in hearing whether its a stupid idea because I know I could build something for a similar price etc etc, I like building PCs, just wondering if this could work.

CHEERS!

CHEERS!

No, theoretically yes, but doable most likely not

First of all they are selling the PS4 at below cost of manufacturing, so they are doing everything possible to prevent this type of stuff from happening (it was a problem with the ps3 because people were buying them up and installing linux, and sony would lose money.) Besides, it doesn't just use a regular gpu or anything, so drivers would be impossible to make them work. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

First of all they are selling the PS4 at below cost of manufacturing, so they are doing everything possible to prevent this type of stuff from happening (it was a problem with the ps3 because people were buying them up and installing linux, and sony would lose money.) Besides, it doesn't just use a regular gpu or anything, so drivers would be impossible to make them work. 

the reason they removed otherOS from the ps3 was because of exploits but that didnt help it made the community angrier and fai0ver ended up getting the keys making it wide open

+they arnt  loosing money of the hardware costs

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/11/19/report-sony-near-to-profit-on-ps4-hardware/

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

the reason they removed otherOS from the ps3 was because of exploits but that didnt help it made the community angrier and fai0ver ended up getting the keys making it wide open

+they arnt  loosing money of the hardware costs

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2013/11/19/report-sony-near-to-profit-on-ps4-hardware/

they are because hardware isn't the only cost. The thing costs 399$, but Sony will sell it to best buy (or some other retailer) for maybe 340$. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Its probably possible, i dont think anyone has done it yet, but someone probably will. The real question is how challenging the process will be and whether or not the "average" techie will be able to do it. Time will tell.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

they are because hardware isn't the only cost. The thing costs 399$, but Sony will sell it to best buy (or some other retailer) for maybe 340$. 

never thought of that

coudnt find any info on how much they actually sell it for retailers be it ps3 or ps4

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.