What is the best way to transfer windows to new SSD

Nstud

I am about to run out of storage for my PC so I ordered a new m.2 SSD. I want to transfer windows to my new SSD and give my brother the old one because he uses his PC much less. I Know there are lots of ways to transfer windows to a new drive but what is the safest and most reliable option.

1 minute ago, Nstud said:

I am about to run out of storage for my PC so I ordered a new m.2 SSD. I want to transfer windows to my new SSD and give my brother the old one because he uses his PC much less. I Know there are lots of ways to transfer windows to a new drive but what is the safest and most reliable option.

You can clone the windows that is already existing on the drive you have by using OS cloning software... 

You can get an Free and Open Source one of you search for OS Cloning.

The most reliable option would be to do a clean install onto the new drive. Do you have 2 M.2 slots available? If not, a clean install might be your only option.

my old SSD is a SATA SSD. I know they are crappy but I cheaped out on it so I could get better graphics card

Just now, Nstud said:

my old SSD is a SATA SSD. I know they are crappy but I cheaped out on it so I could get better graphics card

@Applefreak Forgot to at you 

Depending on the manufacturer of the new SSD you might be able to get a ssd migration tool from their site.

Otherwise consider using a cloning software.

I believe you can get a free copy of acronis true image for cloning your installation. Backing it up cloning it etc. will however take quite some time, surely longer than a fresh install. Kind of depends if the current installation has some settings and things that can't be easily moved by copy & paste.