3700x vs 3800x, worth or not?

Hey, everybody, I'd be interested in some things about the CPU. After a lot of watched clips on YouTube, I saw 3700x and 3800x differ by 2%. I also want to take Liquid Freezer II 360. Now the question is whether it pays to take 3800x which is more expensive and has TDP 105W or take 3700x. Also, if you have any idea of changing anything on this build give me a suggestion. Literally anything. ( Except GPU ). For example, to take that and that, and why. Thanks. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x/3800x

AIO: Liquid Freezer II 360 

GPU: GTX 1080 MSI GamingX 

MBO: B450 Tomahawk MAX 

RAM: HyperX Predator 2x8GB 2933Mhz

SSD: Patriot Viper VPN100 256GB 

HDD: 1TB 7200RPM

PSU: Corsair RM650x 650W 

Case: Titan II Pro 

I would only get the 3800x if it was on a super sale.

None of the x chips (well, the 3700x doesn't really count Kno, it's the replacement for the 1700/2700 and thee is no non x) are worth it.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

3700X and use the saved money on an Asus X570 TuF or DDR4 3600 CL17

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yeah 3700 and upgrade the ram with the price difference to 3600

I agree, get better RAM. The Mobo is good though, unless you need PCIe 4.0

F@H    EOC

49 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I would only get the 3800x if it was on a super sale.

None of the x chips (well, the 3700x doesn't really count Kno, it's the replacement for the 1700/2700 and thee is no non x) are worth it.

In my country I can get Ryzen 7 3800x For 340Euros, and Ryzen 7 3700x for 300 Euros, both on sales. I think thats worth and I should take 3800x. What do you think?

36 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

I agree, get better RAM. The Mobo is good though, unless you need PCIe 4.0

Yeah I will get better RAM, but I think i could get 3800x because Its on sale in my country right now, I can get 3800x for 340eur, and 3700x for 300-310eur.

3 minutes ago, Salemanijak said:

Yeah I will get better RAM, but I think i could get 3800x because Its on sale in my country right now, I can get 3800x for 340eur, and 3700x for 300-310eur.

Get the 3700X and an X570 TuF board

28 minutes ago, Salemanijak said:

If your budget can handle it, then go for the 3800x. Only a 30eur difference is pretty good

F@H    EOC

37 minutes ago, Salemanijak said:

In my country I can get Ryzen 7 3800x For 340Euros, and Ryzen 7 3700x for 300 Euros, both on sales. I think thats worth and I should take 3800x. What do you think?

3700x, easy choice

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

3 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Get the 3700X and an X570 TuF board

Why that board, I think B450 Tomahawk MAX is very good board. On reddit someone said: "The MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX VRMs were not only able to power an R9 3950X 16-core 32-thread CPU, but had the best thermals in the entire line-up while running it, that line-up is including X570 variants. I wouldn't advise going with an X570 unless you need PCIE 4.0 or some other specific feature,having to mess around with thermal pad replacements or aftermarket cooling solution replacement/upgrade for the chipset is too bothersome for a brand new board imo". 

3 hours ago, jctappel67 said:

If your budget can handle it, then go for the 3800x. Only a 30eur difference is pretty good

I think that's what I'm going to do, but I'm not sure why is TDP 105W? What can I do with more TDP?

2 minutes ago, Salemanijak said:

I think that's what I'm going to do, but I'm not sure why is TDP 105W? What can I do with more TDP?

TDP is the amount of heat generated by the chip

F@H    EOC

26 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

TDP is the amount of heat generated by the chip

Yes I know that, but I'm not sure why AMD increased TDP? What's the point, what can I do with more TDP?

I ask a lot of questions, they may sound silly, but I'm really trying to learn something new. 

5 minutes ago, Salemanijak said:

Yes I know that, but I'm not sure why AMD increased TDP? What's the point, what can I do with more TDP?

I ask a lot of questions, they may sound silly, but I'm really trying to learn something new. 

Thermal Design Point is the rating before boost clocks at the max p-state.

You will find most of these chips are well past the advertised TDP while boosting and under load.

The board you want to buy will be rated in AMP capability, not watt.

You want 150 amp capable motherboard. You can find which boards in the stickied thread motherboard tier list.

Good Luck.

2 minutes ago, Salemanijak said:

You can't really do anything with increased TDP. By itself it doesn't explain performance

Typically higher TDP chips in the same family & generation are more powerful, but that's usually because of increased power draw from supporting more cores or higher clock speeds. Manufacturers try to use the TDP rating to explain the cooling requirements for the chip.

In the case of the 3800x, it has a 500 MHz higher core clock than the 3700x, which means more power draw and more heat.

F@H    EOC

18 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Thermal Design Point is the rating before boost clocks at the max p-state.

You will find most of these chips are well past the advertised TDP while boosting and under load.

The board you want to buy will be rated in AMP capability, not watt.

You want 150 amp capable motherboard. You can find which boards in the stickied thread motherboard tier list.

Good Luck.

Thank you for a very good explanation. I found that B450 Tomahawk MAX could be able to support 150 amp even with a Ryzen 9 3900x. Well, if I understand correctly, I can use b450 Tomahawk max with a Ryzen 3800x with no problems. And I can OC it easily. 

21 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

You can't really do anything with increased TDP. By itself it doesn't explain performance

Typically higher TDP chips in the same family & generation are more powerful, but that's usually because of increased power draw from supporting more cores or higher clock speeds. Manufacturers try to use the TDP rating to explain the cooling requirements for the chip.

In the case of the 3800x, it has a 500 MHz higher core clock than the 3700x, which means more power draw and more heat.

A okay, I understand now. 3700x is like 3700 and 3800x is like 3700x. So I can get 3800x beacuse price difference is small and I can easily OC beacuse I have good AIO. And in the future I should get more RAM speed but is that important or ? I watched some videos from Tech Deals where he says that the difference between the speed of the RAM does not reflect so much, approximately 1-2fps, but that if we take any stronger components, it needs more speed of RAM which is logical. 

1 minute ago, Salemanijak said:

A okay, I understand now. 3700x is like 3700 and 3800x is like 3700x. So I can get 3800x beacuse price difference is small and I can easily OC beacuse I have good AIO. And in the future I should get more RAM speed but is that important or ? I watched some videos from Tech Deals where he says that the difference between the speed of the RAM does not reflect so much, approximately 1-2fps, but that if we take any stronger components, it needs more speed of RAM which is logical. 

Generally Ryzen needs at least 3200 MHz RAM to function at its fullest potential, and the price difference isn't bad. Might as well spend a few extra bucks on the RAM right now, and not have to worry about it later

F@H    EOC

1 hour ago, Salemanijak said:

Why that board, I think B450 Tomahawk MAX is very good board. On reddit someone said: "The MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX VRMs were not only able to power an R9 3950X 16-core 32-thread CPU, but had the best thermals in the entire line-up while running it, that line-up is including X570 variants. I wouldn't advise going with an X570 unless you need PCIE 4.0 or some other specific feature,having to mess around with thermal pad replacements or aftermarket cooling solution replacement/upgrade for the chipset is too bothersome for a brand new board imo". 

That's not remotely true. The Tomahawk is good, sure, but the X570 boards outclass it by a lot. Also, you won't need any aftermarket cooling or replacements - I have no idea what that person was smoking.

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

I have no idea what that person was smoking.

The good stuff. Have some right here... wanna puff? Feel real good real quick and get top benching scores! 

XD

35 minutes ago, jctappel67 said:

Generally Ryzen needs at least 3200 MHz RAM to function at its fullest potential, and the price difference isn't bad. Might as well spend a few extra bucks on the RAM right now, and not have to worry about it later

Yes, I will do that for sure. Thanks a lot for answering so many questions.

30 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

That's not remotely true. The Tomahawk is good, sure, but the X570 boards outclass it by a lot. Also, you won't need any aftermarket cooling or replacements - I have no idea what that person was smoking.

Okay I will try to save more money for x570. Thanks for the help. 

3700x and 3200mhz ram. Scrap the x570 board idea unless your gonna use the pci 4.0 for an nvme workload. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

10 hours ago, Salemanijak said:

Okay I will try to save more money for x570. Thanks for the help. 

It's worth it. The X570 Pro4 is only slightly more expensive than the Tomahawk but has much better VRMs, much better BIOS support, faster PCIe lanes and many other nice to have features