Steam In-Home Streaming to Optimize Further

T.Vengeance

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791434796278#announcements/detail/1388536798011573997

Don't be surprised if the updates slow down for a bit. We're revamping the architecture to reduce latency and support hardware accelerated encoding. 

I can't wait to see how much change we'll have after the update. I mean even after Linus' video showing 75ms latency, that's quite acceptable. Imagine if they bring it down to 50ms! That's literally the latency for the avg multiplayer game :D

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791434796278#announcements/detail/1388536798011573997

I can't wait to see how much change we'll have after the update. I mean even after Linus' video showing 75ms latency, that's quite acceptable. Imagine if they bring it down to 50ms! That's literally the latency for the avg multiplayer game :D

well actually it'd be the latency between the two pc's + your latency to the games server.

So usually my latency is 30-75ms,if I played it on steam in home streaming I'd have ~105-150ms latency.

I think this will be great for single payer games where you only need to worry about the latency between the two pc's,but when you have the latency between the server in addition to the latency between the streaming and host pc it becomes too unreliable for most online multiplayer titles .

I see this being used for titles like Dead Space where it's going to be more enjoyable if you can stream it onto your large 50" or larger display to make the game more immersive,and where a small added latency won't hurt you too much,rather than Battlefield multiplayer, or DOTA. 

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I just got the notification. seems promising :D

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

well actually it'd be the latency between the two pc's + your latency to the games server.

So usually my latency is 30-75ms,if I played it on steam in home streaming I'd have ~105-150ms latency.

I think this will be great for single payer games where you only need to worry about the latency between the two pc's,but when you have the latency between the server in addition to the latency between the streaming and host pc it becomes too unreliable for most online multiplayer titles .

I see this being used for titles like Dead Space where it's going to be more enjoyable if you can stream it onto your large 50" or larger display to make the game more immersive,and where a small added latency won't hurt you too much,rather than Battlefield multiplayer, or DOTA. 

Oh no what I meant was that the latency in stream would be comparable to playing multiplayer regularly (that's to say without streaming to another computer and then playing multiplayer from there).

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Yes!! Hardware accelerated encoding! I wonder if that will only work if you got an Intel CPU and/or Nvidia GPU. Some AMD GPUs have the hardware for it, but I have never seen a program take advantage of it.

Will be really interesting to see what this is like in a year or 2. Might even be able to play indi games from my RaspberryPi :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly