Windows 10 micro-stutters with Ryzen.

Neutraliz
Go to solution Solved by Neutraliz,

I can now pretty much confirm that I fixed the issue.
Thanks to this guy that I just randomly find and saved my life, basicly :

I made a video on the thing :

Little addons : Theses drivers are NOT comming from AMD's chipset driver. At least, not regular & stable drivers for windows 10. 

But to ramp things up : 

AMD is being AMD and have issues with drivers. To be fair, it's not totaly their fault, but they really need to make sure that type of things can't happen by checking compatibility. 
AMD's own drivers for IDE, SATA ATA & ATAPI is made for windows 8.1 and older, not for windows 10, and AMD know it can cause unstability. 
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-250
If you have ANY AMD drivers under IDE ATA/ATAPI in your device manager and not standard/basic own by windows, you should uninstall them. 
This is purely speculations : But thoses could of come from any website or software that are automaticly suggesting drivers to install for your system, and running in admin, forcing them to be installed, even if they're not compatible with windows 10. Or, it could also be installed from the very first windows installation : I just don't know. 
It's not re-apparing by itself, at least, for now ( if its, i'm keeping y'all updated ), and it's not installed by AMD's chipset drivers for windows 10.

Steps :
- Go to the d
evice manager
- Develop "IDE ATA/ATAPI controller"
- Under that specific category, if it's not windows's own basic controller, but AMD's : uninstall every single drivers. 
- Reboot into safe mode via shit + left click on restart. ( Otherwhise, your pc gonna be unable to boot properly )
- When you are into safe mode, you have nothing to do, just reboot properly into normal mode.

Hope it work for many people to come.

7 hours ago, Neutraliz said:

@BlackManINC
It can happen at anytime. It's not specific to an activity that I'm doing. 
It's a stutter that is at a system level, so litteraly windows itself is stuttering.

It can happen while gaming, while watching youtube, while watching a local video, while watching youtube, ... Anytime really. And it's just for half a second. It's very annoying.

At this point, it could be more of a software related issue. What do you have installed right now? Do you have something like MSI Afterburner installed? If its really a ram issue, perhaps there is something you tweak in the bios. The memory timings might be off. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I found something on reddit with relativly the same issue. And it was because of AMD being AMD basicly and messed up SATA drivers. You can reset that to windows's own basic driver. That what I did, for now I don't have any sutters, but I'm still very careful. I want to test that for a least a week to confirmed that stutters disapared completly. This is only my first day with this "fix".

55 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

At this point, it could be more of a software related issue. What do you have installed right now? Do you have something like MSI Afterburner installed?

I have but I don't think it's the issue. I think I arlready tried that anyway with no results, but I don't remember correctly.

57 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

If its really a ram issue, perhaps there is something you tweak in the bios. The memory timings might be off. 

It's not, since even switching memory kits or motherboard doesn't change anything on the issue. 

13 minutes ago, Neutraliz said:

I found something on reddit with relativly the same issue. And it was because of AMD being AMD basicly and messed up SATA drivers. You can reset that to windows's own basic driver. That what I did, for now I don't have any sutters, but I'm still very careful. I want to test that for a least a weak to confirmed that stutters disapared completly. This is only my first day with this "fix".

🤔 Hmmm, so the issue was related to your storage device? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 minute ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Hmmm, so the issue was related to your storage device? 

No but the AMD driver for it.

3 minutes ago, Neutraliz said:

No but the AMD driver for it.

🤔  Ahh, I see, well, what I would do right now is report it to AMD, perhaps on their forum or something. The amount of driver related issues we still see with AMD is inexcusable. Mind you, we see plenty of issues with nvidia too just looking at this website alone, but still, they better get their shit together and come correct with their upcoming RDNA 2 chip set. 😒

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

5 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔  Ahh, I see, well, what I would do right now is report it to AMD, perhaps on their forum or something. The amount of driver related issues we still see with AMD is inexcusable. Mind you, we see plenty of issues with nvidia too just looking at this website alone, but still, they better get their shit together and come correct with their upcoming RDNA 2 chip set. 😒

Like I said, I need to test this "fix" a least a week to say that I definitly got rid of the issue. It's very inconsistent and random. So I need a long period of time to see how things improve or not. 

I've posted this on another thread, but I've used LatencyMon to help track down IRQ polling storms. Typically caused by a buggy driver or a failing piece of hardware.

@StDragon
I tried, but I think I'm in the clear. And that's with all my usual process in the backgroud. Cam, Share X, Icue (only services), Logitech G Hub, afterburner, hwinfo and rivatuner.
Like I said, that can happen at any time, that happened on a completly reseted windows. 

But the fix with the SATA driver seems promessing for now. No stutters. I will keep the topic updated.

LatMon_HtgTy3B9CS.png

As posted by @Neutraliz in my own "i need help post"

Steps :
- Go to the d
evice manager
- Under that specific category, if it's not windows's own basic controller, but AMD's : uninstall every single drivers. 
- Reboot into safe mode via shit + left click on restart. ( Otherwhise, your pc gonna be unable to boot properly )
- When you are into safe mode, you have nothing to do, just reboot properly into normal mode.

i will also come back to this thread on a later date and share how it went for me. 

for now, amd drivers need some work.

I will give my definitive feedback next tuesday. It seems fixed tbh. But I still remain suspicious and attentive for now. 

I found that just right now, and I find this really interessting that even AMD is admitting unstabilities.
But why it's even there to begin with, then ? 
Maybe because of drivercloud or similar website/software that proposes theses uncompatible drivers ?

chrome_97DIxT6n43.thumb.png.6f35ce28e84d497e8f91c89d20d8289f.png

I can now pretty much confirm that I fixed the issue.
Thanks to this guy that I just randomly find and saved my life, basicly :

I made a video on the thing :

Little addons : Theses drivers are NOT comming from AMD's chipset driver. At least, not regular & stable drivers for windows 10. 

But to ramp things up : 

AMD is being AMD and have issues with drivers. To be fair, it's not totaly their fault, but they really need to make sure that type of things can't happen by checking compatibility. 
AMD's own drivers for IDE, SATA ATA & ATAPI is made for windows 8.1 and older, not for windows 10, and AMD know it can cause unstability. 
If you have ANY AMD drivers under IDE ATA/ATAPI in your device manager and not standard/basic own by windows, you should uninstall them. 
This is purely speculations : But thoses could of come from any website or software that are automaticly suggesting drivers to install for your system, and running in admin, forcing them to be installed, even if they're not compatible with windows 10. Or, it could also be installed from the very first windows installation : I just don't know. 
It's not re-apparing by itself, at least, for now ( if its, i'm keeping y'all updated ), and it's not installed by AMD's chipset drivers for windows 10.

Steps :
- Go to the d
evice manager

Hope it work for many people to come.

so far 1 week of full stability. i even got my r5 3600 to 4.5ghz all core stable. last time i checked, gamersnexus only got theirs to 4.35 or something all core 😘

• 4 weeks later...

Thank u all for this!, this issue was driving me crazy months, the same issue happened with my ryzen 3700x , thank u so much, been trying all kind of fix on the internet and nothing but this helped, thank u again! 🤗😊😊🙏🙏

• 1 month later...

Hi, any update on a solution? Recently started occurring more often for me, at startup sometimes constant stutters. Tools don't find anything wrong, it's so frustrating since I can't prove which component is acting up and use my warranty.

PC: 

@Kennoi
Yes, it was solved. 
The solution I found is highlighted in green on the original post AND right on the of top the topic, first page. It's litterally the first thing you see.
All the solution is explain with sources and I even made myslef a little video with my cringy english accent. 

3 hours ago, Neutraliz said:

@Kennoi
Yes, it was solved. 
The solution I found is highlighted in green on the original post AND in right on the top the topic, first page. It's litterally the first thing you see.
All the solution is explain with sources and I even made myslef a little video with my cringy english accent. 

So was it the nvidia thing or the sata driver? Just curious and I can't watch rn. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/27/2020 at 3:27 AM, Mark Kaine said:

So was it the nvidia thing or the sata driver? Just curious and I can't watch rn. 

Peoples, please...
I litterally wrote the entire thing in addition to my video in the "Best Answer". 

• 1 year later...

@Neutraliz Thank you so much for this! I've had the same issue as you since I first got my 2700X three years ago! I tried to find a solution like 2 years ago but I didn't find anything then so I gave up on it. As soon as you said it's a driver issue I knew it was because I used Driver Booster. The stuttering went away for a while this year when I clean installed windows 10 without using Driver Booster then recently I upgraded to windows 11 (No issues so far, fingers crossed), I used DB and started getting the stuttering problem again. 

Long story short, you just solved a problem I've also been annoyed with for like 3 straight years.

Thank you