(RTX 2080ti, 9900kf, 650W Platinum, 2160p) FPS drops in game + stuttering, PSU too low?

PONTAKUN

Greetings,

I'm experiencing FPS drops since a week or so.. (on Paladins i'm usually at 174-150 fps with g-sync, but now it's more like 174-80fps during a match and it happens very often).

First I thought because of Nvidia last GPU driver, so I rolled back with DDU but nothing changed.

Ofc I also tried to change resolution, 144/120/80/60hz, switch in fullscreen/borderless, settings to low, enable/disable g-sync, v-sync or dx11, anti-virus software (ccleaner, malwarebytes, adw cleaner, zhp cleaner), benchmarks with Valleybench, Cinebench, CPUID, cleaned the computer again, replugged GPU, reset BIOS, various updates.

Temps are fine (no more than 75°C with GPU/CPU - usually 63°C GPU and 66°C CPU when playing for a while to ACO in ultra 2160p).

Now the strange part : when i start Paladins, i can play 5-10 min without stutter, then fps drops -> when i quit and start Sekiro I get 2-5 fps drops and stutter  -> but if I restart my computer and start sekiro (without touching to Paladins) I get constant 60-59 fps without stutter!

I have asked around and someone told me it is because of my 650W PSU which is too low and I should buy a 850W, so how to know for sure this problem comes from my PSU?

I took some screenshots (im using msi afternburner + RTSS + CPU-Z), I can send in game videos too with RTSS OSD.

Thanks for any help.

My rig:

- CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KF
- GPU: RTX 2080ti MSI gaming X trio
- PSU: LDLC 650W Quality Select 80PLUS Platinum (Developped by Seasonic)

1 minute ago, PONTAKUN said:

someone told me it is because of my 650W PSU which is too low and I should buy a 850W, so how to know for sure this problem comes from my PSU?

They are talking out of their ass. FPS drop and stuttering can not be caused by the PSU

:)

Ok but how to know? For instance on my screenshot while playing Paladins we can see on CPU-Z my PWR consumption 310W and 103% TDP, isn'it too high? Which would cause voltage spikes and then GPU dropping fps accordingly? (sry if that's a stupid question, I don't have any particular knowledge about that).

47 minutes ago, seon123 said:

They are talking out of their ass. FPS drop and stuttering can not be caused by the PSU

Well, it can if the ripple are very high or voltages are grossly out of spec\unstable. I've seen some PCs with garbage PSUs that come bundled with the 10$ case being like way too slow for their hardware and suddenly they became all snappy after PSU change.

@PONTAKUN could you please elaborate on which of LDPC Platinum rated PSUs you have exactly ? Not that it matters much, i've found only two of them, one based on Seasonic X and other on Seasonic Focus, they're both should be good.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Hi Juu, thx for your time:

Here is my PSU :

Couldn't find in english sry, if you scroll down you will find the specs.

I have checked with 2 e-shops if 650W was enough for my rig they both said yes no need 750W, then checked on psu calculator and it showed 550W or 650W was fine.. I also checked comments and reviews on this specific LDLC PSU and only good comments/reviews.

At least i can tell there is no crash/blue screen/strange noise coming from the case - so the question is : 650W really enough? Any software to check if there is some sort of voltage spikes and so on? I ve tried OCCT PSU test but my computer crashes after 30 sec and CPU going up to 81°C, tried 1920x1080p or 3840x2160p, always crashing so I don't know if this software is crap or smthing else but I didn't try more. (Userbenchmark gives me good marks, if needed i can send).

Yeah, it appears to be Focus Platinum at the very least, maybe even PRIME Platinum, hard to say, but it seems that LDLC only rebrands Seasonic PSUs so there's not much room for error.

See, 650W may not be enough if you run both CPU and GPU at 100% load, i.e in rendering, mining, smth like that. Not gaming, you'll barely reach 400W in this case. In any case, as i said, when PSU doesn't have enough power it just shuts down, it doesn't cut FPS or smth. And if PSU does affect FPS it's because of high ripple or bad voltage regulation, which in the case of this PSU is rather unlikely.

Looking at your GPU-Z performance cap reasons, most of the time it's blue which is power limit and sometimes green which is voltage reliability. Try to downvolt your GPU, lowering voltage in Afterburner. Did you enable any OC btw ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I am not comfortable with GPU OC, in fact I have no clue what to change and if it is safe? Which voltage (and other setting if needed) would you suggest?

Well about OC, stock CPU x50 settings in BIOS were total crap and CPU was getting hot (more than 76°C) so after research I have just modified it into x48 and 1.21v, it's stable (played Odyssey for hours, run various benchmarks, didn't crash). Also I tried to reset BIOS into factory settings, same fps drops issue..