Which grapics card should I get?

Jeremy7020

Hello guys,

I am thinking of upgrading my grapics card, since my current one (GeForce GTX 960 Strix 2gb OC edition) is struggeling because of the low amounts of VRAM in big games (like Doom Eternal). 

I was thinking of a price range in between 200 to 300 euros, and after a little bit of research, I was debating whether to buy the GTX 1660 Super or not, because I do not want to go overkill. 

Another thing I was thinking about is to get another 8gb's of RAM, but I was wondering if it makes a difference whether to buy 2 different memory sticks or not.

These are my current PC stats:

GPU: GeForce GTX 960 Strix 2gb OC edition

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Resolution:1080p, 60Hz.

Storage: SSD for windows and some games.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Your CPU won't be able to drive anything faster than a GTX 1070. Which is massively faster than a 960, and you can get if for cheap. Even my 6700k with a heavy overclock struggles to keep up in AAA titles. 

So I recommend you get a gtx 1070 used, give the system a couple more years, and then upgrade the whole thing.

Kind regards,

LY

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Do you plan on staying on 1080p 60hz?

Yes I do plan to stay on 1080p as I am limited by my current monitor with no plans to change that soon.

I'd like to mention that I was able to play doom eternal fine, albeit with some lagspikes around 40-50 fps on medium to low settings, eventhough I feel like it shouldn't have as I was lacking a whole gb in VRAM

7 minutes ago, Jeremy7020 said:

Yes I do plan to stay on 1080p as I am limited by my current monitor with no plans to change that soon.

I'd like to mention that I was able to play doom eternal fine, albeit with some lagspikes around 40-50 fps on medium to low settings, eventhough I feel like it shouldn't have as I was lacking a whole gb in VRAM

Look at an RX 570. They go used for under 100 USD and they're about the performance you'll want

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Look at an RX 570. They go used for under 100 USD and they're about the performance you'll want

Do you konw an Nvidia equivalent? If possible I don't want to turn sail

Just now, Jeremy7020 said:

Do you konw an Nvidia equivalent? If possible I don't want to turn sail

Not in the same price bracket. If you're worried about reliability, the 570's are perfectly fine.

I suppose you could look at a 1650

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Not in the same price bracket. If you're worried about reliability, the 570's are perfectly fine.

I suppose you could look at a 1650

Say, If I upgraded my monitor to play on a higher refresh rate, or on 1440p, would it be better to buy a 1660 (super) or is it still overkill?