I need a PSU recommandation for my new build.

Go to solution Solved by Meganter,
2 minutes ago, Diliglont said:

Okay but last question, would 550 Watts be enough for the 2060 super? As far as I understood, it needs a specfic amount of amps on the PCIe lanes so it doesn't go underpowered. And would the 3900x be okay with 550? Thank you both for your imput.

Yes 550W is more than enough because the 2060S doesn't use much power (around 200W if my memory serves me well).

Hello, first post in a long while.

I am planning an upgrade for my rig (Since we all need to work from home) and the internet is pretty confusing on this. (My current build was done by a friend, I don't really know much)

Here's the setup:

Processor: AMD FX-8350 (not overclocked)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 plus

GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 950 2gb

RAM: 1x 8 gb ddr3 1866 mhz

Power Supply: InterTech Energon 650 Watts

Hard Drive: 1tb WD blue 7.2k rpm

Over the next couple of months I am planning a few upgrades.

The first one, that I want to buy now is a new video card, namely an MSI RTX 2060 super gaming x.

I've been told that the power supply is bad and I need to replace it with something decent. I will also upgrade to (most probably) a ryzen 7 3800x, 16 gb ram, and and PCIe SSD (m.2)

Could anyone point me to a good (modular, if possible) power supply for this? A power supply calculator online tells me I need a 426 watt power supply for my current setup and a 474 watt power supply for my fully upgraded rig. Both of these values seem really low to me so I don't really trust it. Since I'm both gaming and working from home the pc will run at least 8 hours a day.

Hello,

Corsair RMx 550W is enough and one of the best you can get.

For the future upgrade : 3700x instead of 3800x, basically the same but the 3800x runs hotter.

5700XT if you don't need Nvenc or Cuda from Nvidia since it's the same price for better performance.

550 watts is enough for the whole upgraded rig? Then why does everybody overkill their power supply wattages? the 5700xt is a bit more expensive than the 2060 super where I live, sadly. Would a 3900x be a big upgrade over the 3700x? I only chose the 3800x because it said "multi-threaded performance", which I need for work.

6 minutes ago, Diliglont said:

550 watts is enough for the whole upgraded rig? Then why does everybody overkill their power supply wattages? the 5700xt is a bit more expensive than the 2060 super where I live, sadly. Would a 3900x be a big upgrade over the 3700x? I only chose the 3800x because it said "multi-threaded performance", which I need for work.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n34BD3/enermax-revolution-df-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-erf650awt

Best bet. even if 550 is already enough.

11 minutes ago, Diliglont said:

550W is enough for most rigs. But @Maurice from Madagascar option is very good too :)

3900x is a better upgrade too yes https://www.techspot.com/review/1899-ryzen-3800x-vs-3700x-difference/

Okay but last question, would 550 Watts be enough for the 2060 super? As far as I understood, it needs a specfic amount of amps on the PCIe lanes so it doesn't go underpowered. And would the 3900x be okay with 550? Thank you both for your imput.

2 minutes ago, Diliglont said:

Yes 550W is more than enough because the 2060S doesn't use much power (around 200W if my memory serves me well).

4 minutes ago, Diliglont said:

@Meganter Already answered, but here's 2060S power consumption charts https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super-geforce-rtx-2070-super,6207-5.html

The nVidia wesbite says it's 175 watts. Thank you both for your replies, I'll check prices on the two power supplies you recommended and finally get an upgrade.