HDMI 2.0 to DP 1.4 Adapter

Dyelawn57

I recently purchased 4 PG279q monitors and an ASUS Strix 2080ti. I am trying to find a way to have all of my monitors support 1440p 144hz and I wanted to ask you all for advice on which product to purchase. I will link the only think I found so far that seems promising but before I buy anything else I would like to confirm that it will work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077JB28KM/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I'm confused.

That monitor supports DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 1.4.  That card has 2x DisplayPort 1.4 and 2x HDMI 2.0b.

Don't you just need 2x DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cables and 2x HDMI-to-HDMI cables?

No matter which way you slice it, your DisplayPort will be 1.2 spec and your HDMI will be 1.4 spec.

PC: Ryzen 5-3600 / MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus / 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 / MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x / Phanteks P400S / Gigabyte G34WQC 34" Curved Ultrawide

Laptop: Lenovo X230 / OS X 10.15 Hackintosh (OpenCore)

F@H ID: Paroxy777

2560x1440 @ 144 Hz requires 15.93 Gbps

DisplayPort 1.2 supports 17.28 Gbps in High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) mode. HDMI 1.4 only supports 10.2Gbps.

So you're good to go with DisplayPort if you use a cable with HBR2, but the monitor's HDMI ports are too slow. So you'd probably need an HMDI to DisplayPort cable so your card's HDMI 2.0b outputs can go to the monitor's DisplayPort 1.4 instead. As far as I can see, the adapter you linked is exactly the wrong way around.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

The only thing like that I found is this: SIIG HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2 Converter

It's $200, doesn't specify 1440p as a compatible resolution, and GSync only works at 1080p.

PC: Ryzen 5-3600 / MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus / 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 / MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3x / Phanteks P400S / Gigabyte G34WQC 34" Curved Ultrawide

So what specific product would you guys recommend? Whatever it is I need two of them.

1 minute ago, Paroxy said:

The only thing like that I found is this: SIIG HDMI 2.0 to DisplayPort 1.2 Converter

It's $200, doesn't specify 1440p as a compatible resolution, and GSync only works at 1080p.

There has to be something less expensive than that. I dont need g-sync compatibility.

4 minutes ago, Paroxy said:

You've had better luck than I did. It looks like there's no simple HDMI 2.0 to DP 1.2 adapter. Here's another converter and it's also quite pricey: https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Prophecy-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B07BT4BG4C

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

You've had better luck than I did. It looks like there's no simple HDMI 2.0 to DP 1.2 adapter. Here's another converter and it's also quite pricey: https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Prophecy-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B07BT4BG4C

Ha, I was just about to post that one!

Just noticed the specs for both have all the resolutions at 60Hz.  Doesn't necessarily mean it won't work at other resolutions and refresh rates, but who knows what the results will be. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: Nope, reviews say it will only do 60Hz.

Are DisplayPort standard backwards compatible? Wouldn't a 2.0 to 1.4 work?

So should I return my graphics card and get one with 3 DisplayPort outputs then?

15 minutes ago, Dyelawn57 said:

Are DisplayPort standard backwards compatible? Wouldn't a 2.0 to 1.4 work?

Yes, they are backwards compatible (but there's no product with DisplayPort 2.0 yet)

The issue is this:

The card has DisplayPort 1.4, the monitor has DisplayPort 1.2. So the connection will run at DP 1.2 speed, which is fast enough for 1440p@144Hz

The card has HDMI 2.0b which is also fast enough, but the monitor only has HDMI 1.4 which isn't fast enough.

The one option is to convert HDMI 2.0b to DisplayPort 1.2, but the only converters that can do it cost a ton and as @Paroxy said, apparently they're limited to 60 Hz.

If you can find a card with at least 3x DisplayPort 1.2 (or better) that would be an option, provided the card is even fast enough to drive 3x 1440p@144Hz while gaming.

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

If you can find a card with at least 3x DisplayPort 1.2 (or better) that would be an option, provided the card is even fast enough to drive 3x 1440p@144Hz while gaming.

I was actually thinking this myself.

What are the odds that the card can even run the games at that rate?  I'd think even dual monitor is asking a lot, never mind three or four.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

I was actually thinking this myself, are you sure the card can even run the games you want at that rate?  I'd think even dual monitor is asking a lot, never mind three or four.

Yeah, it didn't occur to me at first, but the initial question was 4 monitors at 144 Hz and I think even a 2080 ti isn't fast enough for that (in modern titles at least)

It's not about running them in surround. If all of the monitors aren't running at 144hz you can run in to issues where your games will run at the lowest refresh rate.

I am probably going to return my ASUS card and get a Gigabyte card

Edit: I am also going to enable my IGPU for the 4th one which I dont mind running at 60hz so long as it doesnt effect the other three

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yeah, it didn't occur to me at first, but the initial question was 4 monitors at 144 Hz and I think even a 2080 ti isn't fast enough for that (in modern titles at least)

I mean my 2080 overclocked at 1080p 120Hz still gets quite the roasting in the games I play.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Dyelawn57 said:

It's not about running them in surround. If all of the monitors aren't running at 144hz you can run in to issues where your games will run at the lowest refresh rate.

I am probably going to return my ASUS card and get a Gigabyte card

Does the Gigabyte card have 4 DisplayPorts?  If not you'll still have one monitor at 60Hz and therefore all your monitors won't be at 144Hz like you want.

I am going to use the I am going to use my IGPU for the 4th one so it wont cause issues.

My only worry is that the Gigabyte card isn't the best one I could buy

Sounds like a solid plan. But I'm curious now, are you going to game on a single monitor, or in surround on 3 of them?

I am a speed runner and streamer. I plan to use most of the monitors for miscellaneous things like OBS, LiveSplit, Discord, Videos of strats for the game I am running, tools and trainers. Stuff like that. I might casual some surround games but not much.

Also the Gigabyte card has mixed reviews so I might get the FTW3

I am all over the place man lol. I pulled the trigger on the Gigabyte card. Performance is about the same as the trio and it looks prettier. Atleast for me :)