Looking for new laptop (for work)

Hello,

I need a new laptop for my job.

I'm a system manager for video surveillance at my work and we're using Milestone Systems XProtect.

It is recommended to use Intel CPU for QuickSyncVideo and an Nvidia Graphics card 10 and up for coding.

(I have no idea if AMD could work because Milestones recommends Intel and Nvidia everywhere.)

I've looked up some laptop at Asus and Dell but I feel like its either under performing or overkill (gaming laptop).

I was wondering if someone on the forum would know any laptop that could fit my needs.

Ideal build would be:

CPU: Intel i5 with 2.6 Ghz clockspeeds or higher (or AMD equivilant)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce 1050 or higher

Screen: 15''

SSD or NVMe: 500GB

If money is not an issue go with a Lenovo Thinkpad P53 with RTX graphics. For work I'd stay away from consumer grade laptops in general. Too much trouble when you need to break open the case for a simple upgrade or repair. 

4 hours ago, Applefreak said:

If money is not an issue go with a Lenovo Thinkpad P53 with RTX graphics. For work I'd stay away from consumer grade laptops in general. Too much trouble when you need to break open the case for a simple up grade or repair. 

I agree with him..

ThinkPads have really good built quality and they have a very good keyboard.

You might be bordered by those WiFi cards which Lenovo puts into their Notebooks but it's not like those wifi/BT cards are soldered to the mainboard and don't have universal antenna connectors ;)

I'd say a Lenovo ThinkPad, a Dell Latitude, or an HP Elitebook. I personally favor the ThinkPad (I have two in front of me) for the keyboard and the TrackPoint but that's not everybody's cup of tea.

My current laptop is a Dell Latitude E5450.

Personnally I've always been satisfied with Dell and Asus. Although I did work with Lenovo in the past and I wasn't displeased with the design.

The Lenovo ThinkPad is a bit pricy for me. I was looking for the range of 1200-1600$.

Is it reasonnable or?

You should be able to get a refurbished ThinkPad X1 Extreme with a 1050 Ti, 16 GB of RAM, and 512 GB SSD for about $1200 on eBay. That's about how much I paid for mine, though I've also seen it for less. You'll need to get another stick for dual channel, though. You can probably get a P52 with a Quadro P2000 and similar specs for roughly the same price.