Watercooling leak while moving

Go to solution Solved by xXxYOLOxSWAGxXx_420BlazeIt,

You can dip the boards in isopropyl alcohol and gently  use a tooth brush to scrub / wipe them. Leave them out to dry for a few days.

My system specs are

ASUS Formula VI - watercooled

4770k - watercooled with koolance block

R9 290 - watercooled with EK block

Coolermaster Silent Pro M2 PSU

Ripjaws X Series RAM

Define R4

So what happened was while moving my computer one of the acrylic tube snapped and all the coolant XSPC EC6 red coolant has leaked all over the motherboard and GPU (did not have a backplate). There are red stains on a few places on the motherboard and the GPU. The good thing is the computer has not been turned on since the leak. The coolant seems to have dried out leaving a red residue behind.

Now, how can I restore my PC to working condition? I have started by trying to wipe off the red coolant residue on the motherboard using tissue/earbuds dipped in 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. Do I have to remove 100% of the stains before I test the working condition of my parts? What are my options. Any advice would be really appreciated.

You can dip the boards in isopropyl alcohol and gently  use a tooth brush to scrub / wipe them. Leave them out to dry for a few days.

Get everything off and leave it a day or two to dry.

All the parts are completely dry. But like I said there are red residues on the motherboard where the coolant split. Does all the residue needs to be cleaned off with Isopropyl alcohol?

All the parts are completely dry. But like I said there are red residues on the motherboard where the coolant split. Does all the residue needs to be cleaned off with Isopropyl alcohol?

Yes it does. Then leave it for a day just to be sure.

hello

Can I immerse the whole motherboard in the isopropyl alcohol? Will that react to any of the metals or heat sink (not sure what material that is, doesnt seem to be metal). Any precautions that I need to take?

Can I immerse the whole motherboard in the isopropyl alcohol? Will that react to any of the metals or heat sink (not sure what material that is, doesnt seem to be metal). Any precautions that I need to take?

No you can just put it in and it will be fine. I have done it myself with graphics cards and a mini ITX motherboard to get all the dust and debris off them before I sell them.

No you can just put it in and it will be fine. I have done it myself with graphics cards and a mini ITX motherboard to get all the dust and debris off them before I sell them.

Ok thank you. I will try that and update here.

• 2 weeks later...

Did exactly what was discussed all working now. Thank you.

Damn.  The forum came through for you!  It brings a tear to my eye. 

I would pop a CRC electronic sprayer!

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)