Project: The Prodigy

Transfusiionz

The Prodigy is done! I've taken photographs throughout the build process and I will update with a fully finished product soon.

Specs:

Case - White Bitfenix Prodigy

Processor - Core i7 3770k

Graphics - Evga GTX 680 SC Signature 2 (Upgrading to a Titan soon)

RAM - 16gb G-Skill RipjawZ ram @ 1600mhz (Keeping heat down)

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77 - I Deluxe

Processor Cooling - Corsair H100i with two Bitfenix Spectre fans

Power Supply - Silverstone ST65f-G with PP05 Short Cable Kit

Storage - Crucial M4 512gb (Samsung 840 Pro soon)

Other Stuff - Bitfenix Spectre 230mm as the intake. Undervolted to 7v for silence.

If you see anything that you think could be improved, by all means mention it!

Later on, I'll post a video of it that showcases how quiet this build really is.

And now... The pictures!

These two are my work area.. It's usually a lot messier, but it works for me! There's 4 giant overhead lights to keep everything lit up real well.

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

Now on to the build!

The motherboard.. Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe. Definitely a very pretty motherboard.

IMAG0060.jpg

Here's the H100i. I'm using two Bitfenix Spectre fans on this because they are extremely quiet, and push a good amount of air. They don't push much through the rad, but I can run it at 4ghz no problem.

IMAG0061.jpg

Here's the H100i mounted to the motherboard and installed in the case.

IMAG0064.jpg

Another angle:

IMAG0065.jpg

Now this.. This connecter annoys me. Asus decided to place it in a terrible place, where the Graphics Card collides with it. I had to force the graphics card in and bend the motherboard a small bit, but nothing that would damage it. I really don't get Asus's design decision here, although I'm sure there's a reason it's there.

IMAG0066.jpg

A shot from the rear (Giggity) This doesn't have the PSU installed yet.

IMAG0067.jpg

Now: The PSU!

IMAG0068.jpg

A nicer more cinematic angle looking at the fan and Silverstone logo.

IMAG0069.jpg

Another cinematic angle looking in from the back.

IMAG0070.jpg

Now we start getting into the good stuff! Power supply is installed!

IMAG0073.jpg

Another angle from the backside again..

IMAG0074.jpg

PSU is all wired up! I tried to keep this as neat as possible, although cable management in this case is pretty difficult.

IMAG0075.jpg

A nicer shot at the RAM used

IMAG0076.jpg

A shot of the system with everything working and complete!

IMAG0079.jpg

And now.. The entire system complete and running! I took out the Graphics Card so you can better see how I connected everything and how it looks inside. Don't mind the notch in the Spectre of the missing storage. The SSD was added some time after this shot and Windows 8 was installed on it.

A day or so after this picture was taken, I took another whack at cable management and cleaned it up a bit. I'll post a better picture later with the updated I've made to it.

IMAG0080.jpg

now all it needs is a custom back plate, an MATX board and full watercooling :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

now all it needs is a custom back plate, an MATX board and full watercooling :P

I don't think I'm that good :P

I just saw a post where someone else with a Prodigy used a different fan in the PSU.

I'm really thinking about doing that, since the PSU is fairly loud compared to everything else. I'd probably use either one of my lovely Noctua NF-P12's or a spare Coolermaster fan.. Is that safe? It'd involve me taking the entire thing apart, but if I could make the rig completely silent.. That'd be worth it.

Just want someone to verify that it's safe (And possible? I've seen some motherboards where the fans are soldered in) to do.

I've seen some threads about it, here and there about that idea, but honestly i wouldn't have a clue. google is your friend if no one here knows.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I'm sure someone here knows.

I'm gonna go get some sleep (7 AM here and I haven't even slept yet  :( )

I'll check in the morning and hope someone has replied about it.

Everything truly is exceptionally quiet except the power supply.. If I can silence that, then we're golden.

I saw this video a few days ago, I believe it was part of some build log.

That is really clean, loving the cable management in that form factor! What temps are you getting?

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

That is really clean, loving the cable management in that form factor! What temps are you getting?

Thanks!

My CPU idle is around 35c and I haven't checked the graphics card yet, but I'd imagine around 35-40c idle.

I've yet to load Prime95 up and really test it's stability, but that's definitely on the list.

I'm still using the stock thermal paste on the H100i, so when I get the chance, I'll probably replace that with my MX-4 paste. Might be able to drop a degree or two there.

great stuff! gawd i love the prodigy. what a sick little itx case

Thanks, I'll be sure to check that out!

I actually made that vid ;) I did it on a Corsair CX600 in my water cooled Prodigy and a CX430M in my server. If you are going to do this, then make sure to watch my second vid about it too, it shows you how to monitor your PSU fan rpm for safety reasons.

Also: link to original forum post in signature