LTT Jitsi Server?

Given the current pandemic going on, everyone is gravitating towards one of several conferencing services eg: Zoom, Citrix, Skype, MS Teams. On the other hand, Jitsi Meet is a solid option and you can run your own server. Jitisi Meet is free and open source. It would be awesome if LTT fired up their own Jitsi Meet server given the 10Gig pipe. Jitsi themselves recommend using a 10gig pipe for a Jitsi server. While it does work fine on a 1gig pipe, if you get a large influx of users, that 1gig pipe will saturate very quickly and quality will degrade. I myself am currently running one on a DigitalOcean droplet for testing and so far it has passed all the tests. The only real issue is finding an affordable 10gig VPS.

Given the privacy concerns of many of the conferencing services (See Zoom privacy report from Protonmail), having the LTT group fire up a Jitisi Meet server would be an awesome way to help the wider community interact during this lovely time in our lives. 

https://jitsi.org/jitsi-meet/

2 minutes ago, KRDucky said:

It would be awesome if LTT fired up their own Jitsi Meet server

What would the benefit be over the existing Discord-server, tho? Almost no one uses Jitsi or have even heard of it, but Discord is widely popular.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

What would the benefit be over the existing Discord-server, tho? Almost no one uses Jitsi or have even heard of it, but Discord is widely popular.

Jitsi Meet is not like Discord. Jitsi Meet is a Video conferencing server. EG: Zoom.

Just now, KRDucky said:

Jitsi Meet is not like Discord. Jitsi Meet is a Video conferencing server. EG: Zoom.

But why? The community already has ways of keeping in touch. and i don't think many people would want to use a video conferencing solution just to talk to people they can already talk to just on voice through Discord or just on the forum like we always have.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, KRDucky said:

Well, the point still stands: what would LTT gain from it? You're the first and only person I've even seen mention Jitsi in the first place, so there definitely doesn't seem to be any demand for it. Also, LTT do use their 10Gbps-pipe for other stuff, too, so they may not wish to run such a bandwidth-aggressive thing as a video-conferencing platform.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Have you tried using Zoom? Zoom has loads of issues. Their servers are overloaded for example. As to why? Jitsi doesnt require a 10gig pipe. They just recommend one. I have an instance running on a gigabit pipe without issues.

Video Conferencing is a great way to socially interact outside of physically seeing someone. Some would ask WHY LTT would spend all that cash to run a Minecraft server....and bandwidth considering Minecraft can and will eat all available bandwidth if you let it. And that is just one server while LTT is running how many instances?

What does LTT gain from running a Jitisi Server? The same they would get from running a Folding Server or a Minecraft Server or any community server. Providing gratis options for people to interact with each other is a very philanthropic endeavor. LTT doesnt charge for access to their Minecraft server do they? They don't charge for access to the folder server either. Neither do they for Discord.  I fail to see the validity of either of your arguments.

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well, the point still stands: what would LTT gain from it? You're the first and only person I've even seen mention Jitsi in the first place, so there definitely doesn't seem to be any demand for it. Also, LTT do use their 10Gbps-pipe for other stuff, too, so they may not wish to run such a bandwidth-aggressive thing as a video-conferencing platform.

Jitsi has been around for a long time. Just because no one you have seen here talks about it doesnt mean no one else does. Level1Techs does, most other tech communities have at least mentioned it at some point. How many people do you know of who talk about Mastodon? Matrix? alternatives to mainstream services? Federation services?

Since no one here seems to have even mentioned it, why not consider it? Or even try it out. If you want to see what it is about, you are welcome to try it out on my test server. I fired one up for a couple of tech podcasters who were looking for alternatives to Zoom.

Edited by KRDucky
Test server removed as test is complete.

-= Topic Cleaned =-

All suggestions are welcomed.

Frankly I am disappointed at the negative responses that were left. This has always been a forum for open ideas.

@KRDucky

If you wish for Linus to see and review your suggestion you should probably tag him like so;

@LinusTech

Or you can post it in here as a Video suggestion for him to review.

Lastly, we have forum suggestions thread that you can peruse and make suggestions to;

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/81-forum-suggestions/

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER