Suggestions for a new projector

Hello! I'm looking for a new projector, I currently have a Liesegang dv 245 so it's around 15 years old and it works great but the fan is very loud and the picture quality is not the greatest so I think it is time to upgrade to something greater. I have a small dark room that i use it in with a throwing distance of around 2-2,3m. What would you guys recommend? Let's set a budget around 1000-1500$, is 4K possible?

Watches and computers                    

20 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

Hello! I'm looking for a new projector, I currently have a Liesegang dv 245 so it's around 15 years old and it works great but the fan is very loud and the picture quality is not the greatest so I think it is time to upgrade to something greater. I have a small dark room that i use it in with a throwing distance of around 2-2,3m. What would you guys recommend? Let's set a budget around 1000-1500$, is 4K possible?

Getting moreso.  Tech investment has moved more from projectors to big flatscreens though.  Projector prices change fast.  The magic upgrade for projectors is laser, but they don’t seem to have fallen in price much.  There will likely always be a business market for projectors, but the business sector goes for portability at the cost of noise and doesn’t care much about color quality.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Getting moreso.  Tech investment has moved more from projectors to big flatscreens though.  Projector prices change fast.  The magic upgrade for projectors is laser, but they don’t seem to have fallen in price much.  There will likely always be a business market for projectors, but the business sector goes for portability at the cost of noise and doesn’t care much about color quality.

maybe I should get a TV then, easier to use and no noise.. any recommendations on that end? is OLED the thing everyone wants?

Watches and computers                    

TV is more bang for the buck right now.  I have a projector and an in ceiling screen, with space to mount the TV on the wall.  So when the screen is down it covers the TV.  I've then rotated between projector and TV upgrades over the years.

I have the Samsung Q60, which is great for its response times.  The two downsides are its sound and viewing angles.  Sound isn't is a problem for my setup since all my audio comes out of my media PC and goes directly into the receiver and all my seating is pretty much facing the TV (no wing seating).  

I just have a 1080p projector which I still like and does just fine, but I feel like I want to wait a generation before moving on a 4K projector.  

I'm kind of waiting for the BenQ TK850 and BenQ TK800M to kind of merge into one uber projector in a future iteration before I go through the hassle of upgrading.    Basically color accuracy of the TK850 and brightness of the TK800M.  Whereas I feel like with the current 4K TV options, there exists a reasonably priced once I'll hold onto for years.  Whereas if I buy a project now, I'll just be unbolting it from the ceiling in 18 to 24 months because something much better came along.

9 hours ago, Egad said:

TV is more bang for the buck right now.  I have a projector and an in ceiling screen, with space to mount the TV on the wall.  So when the screen is down it covers the TV.  I've then rotated between projector and TV upgrades over the years.

I have the Samsung Q60, which is great for its response times.  The two downsides are its sound and viewing angles.  Sound isn't is a problem for my setup since all my audio comes out of my media PC and goes directly into the receiver and all my seating is pretty much facing the TV (no wing seating).  

I just have a 1080p projector which I still like and does just fine, but I feel like I want to wait a generation before moving on a 4K projector.  

I'm kind of waiting for the BenQ TK850 and BenQ TK800M to kind of merge into one uber projector in a future iteration before I go through the hassle of upgrading.    Basically color accuracy of the TK850 and brightness of the TK800M.  Whereas I feel like with the current 4K TV options, there exists a reasonably priced once I'll hold onto for years.  Whereas if I buy a project now, I'll just be unbolting it from the ceiling in 18 to 24 months because something much better came along.

My situation is different.  I specifically wanted to avoid having a gigantic video diety dominating my living room, so I put a big projector screen over my front window.  Roll up the screen and there’s no visible TV.  It does tie me to a projector though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.