Ryzen 3700x Idle Temps high?

Anima core

Update:

Just seemed to be an airflow issue in the end, Just something I overlooked. Thanks everyone for their help i really appreciate it ❤️

Hi All,

So i've finally upgraded to a Ryzen 3700x but seems the temps are higher than i'd expect for idle/low usage. I seem to be getting between 50-60 Degrees C (Using the stock cooler) 

When running Prime95 for Maximum heat it seems to peak around 75 Degrees C after a 10 min test, Consisent 69-70 Degrees

Surely i've gotta be doing something wrong? (Aside from using a stock cooler ;P) 

If you need to know my fan setup i've got (all Be quiet!) (Be Quiet! Dark 700 Case)

Front: 2 140mm silent wing (Intake)

Top: 3 120mm Pure wing  (extracting)

Rear:1 140mm Pure wing (extracting)

Whole PC Specs:

Ryzen 3700x

32GB Samsung 2400MHz RAM

MSI 1080TI Duke 11GB

EVGA 650W Gold Semi-Modular PSU

MSI X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard

Edit: Benchmark results if need: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26297601

75 max on load? You have nothing to worry, Idle is not that bad also, imho 50 - 60 range when idle is okay,not great but nothing to worry. Are you sure there's nothing running in the background?

Edited by noxdeouroboros

10 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

75 max on load? You have nothing to worry, Idle is not that bad also, imho 50 - 60 range when idle is okay,not great but nothing to worry. Are you sure there's nothing running in the background?

Ya I made sure, Seems when ever i open a new tab/program the temp spikes and fans go hella loud haha (73 degree spike from general usage) 

Could this just be because it needs time to settle? Probably been up and running for about an hour since install. I've been using intel for the past few years and not had this sorta thing happen. 

12 minutes ago, Anima core said:

73 degree spike from general usage

That's not great, I would try reseating the cooler. If it spikes up to 73 degrees just from opening a program it's not good,I use this cpu but not with stock cooler and in a itx case but it never spikes that much from just opening a program, no matter if it's stock cooler or not that shouldn't be happening imo.

6 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

That's not great, I would try reseating the cooler. If it spikes up to 73 degrees just from opening a program it's not good,I use this cpu but not with stock cooler and in a itx case but it never spikes that much from just opening a program, no matter if it's stock cooler or not that shouldn't be happening imo.

Will give it a try, i did originally reseat it & tried replacing the thermal paste. I may just buy a different cooler for it

1 minute ago, Anima core said:

Will give it a try, i did originally reseat it & tried replacing the thermal paste. I may just buy a different cooler for it

Give it a try just to make sure that it's not he issue.

13 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Give it a try just to make sure that it's not he issue.

Re applied new thermal paste again & reseated. Will run for a little and let you know. ATM still seems to have a jump in temperature randomly. Do you think my fan setup could have anything to do with it? Should i change the top fans to draw air in and just have the 1 exhaust out the back?

11 minutes ago, Anima core said:

Re applied new thermal paste again & reseated. Will run for a little and let you know. ATM still seems to have a jump in temperature randomly. Do you think my fan setup could have anything to do with it? Should i change the top fans to draw air in and just have the 1 exhaust out the back?

The case of your is not superb when it comes to the airflow, but It shouldn't cause spikes like that, maybe try removing side panel and see if temps improve, if that does not help fan rearrangement won't help also.

3 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Normal temps and nothing to worry about.

I thought that at first, but his temp spikes up to 73 degrees from just opening a program, is that normal to you?

4 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

The case of your is not superb when it comes to the airflow, but It shouldn't cause spikes like that, maybe try removing side panel and see if temps improve, if that does not help fan rearrangement won't help also.

Tried removing the side panel, same thing. Probably just worth me buying a new Cooler 

2 minutes ago, Anima core said:

Tried removing the side panel, same thing. Probably just worth me buying a new Cooler 

What's the ambient temp btw?

Temps should have gone down at least a bit without side panel.. Have you done some oc on your cpu?

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

What's the ambient temp btw?

Temps should have gone down at least a bit without side panel.. Have you done some oc on your cpu?

Nah CPU was fresh out the box today

d396db80c9a88ff8f2e8652743ef5ae6.png 

1 minute ago, Anima core said:

Nah CPU was fresh out the box today

Spoiler

Spoiler

d396db80c9a88ff8f2e8652743ef5ae6.png

That's odd.. Not sure what's happening here but imho it's not normal.

2 minutes ago, Anima core said:

So maybe the 8 pin is loose?

Checking wouldn't hurt. Something is not right, just have to locate what it is.

@boggy77 Maybe you can provide some insight?

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Checking wouldn't hurt. Something is not right, just have to locate what it is.

@boggy77 Maybe you can provide some insight?

Also to note ive used ARTIC MX-2 Thermal paste

are your motherboards vrm's overheating as well? the x570 gaming plus is known to have bad vrm cooling and overheating a lot.

make sure your bios is up to date and have the latest chipset drivers installed. also that the power plan is windows balanced or ryzen balanced.

1 hour ago, noxdeouroboros said:

That's odd.. Not sure what's happening here but imho it's not normal.

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

are your motherboards vrm's overheating as well? the x570 gaming plus is known to have bad vrm cooling and overheating a lot.

make sure your bios is up to date and have the latest chipset drivers installed. also that the power plan is windows balanced or ryzen balanced.

Updating the bios now so will let you know. Motherboard is running around 35°c-40°c so doesn't seem to be overheating

How does one check about the power plan? Its on best performance in Windows 

@boggy77 Update: Updated my bios, updated the chipset and still same thing occuring. Going to try re seat the CPU and 8 pin cpu connector and see if that helps at all

Edit: I think i've sorted it, So i've reseated the CPU, 8 pin, 24 pin. Updated the bios and chipset but also set 2 of my top fans as intake instead of extract so that the cpu fan can draw more air in. 

I've also tinkered with the fan curve in the bios so that the fans don't spike and drive me crazy. With the side panel off it seems that the idle temp has now went down to 43 degrees, will put the sides back on and update you from there. Maybe it was just the fact there wasn't enough air going to the CPU cooler? It still seems to spike when i open a new tab or something but not much. I'll update you with more results after further testing.

52 minutes ago, Anima core said:

@boggy77 Update: Updated my bios, updated the chipset and still same thing occuring. Going to try re seat the CPU and 8 pin cpu connector and see if that helps at all

Edit: I think i've sorted it, So i've reseated the CPU, 8 pin, 24 pin. Updated the bios and chipset but also set 2 of my top fans as intake instead of extract so that the cpu fan can draw more air in. 

I've also tinkered with the fan curve in the bios so that the fans don't spike and drive me crazy. With the side panel off it seems that the idle temp has now went down to 43 degrees, will put the sides back on and update you from there. Maybe it was just the fact there wasn't enough air going to the CPU cooler? It still seems to spike when i open a new tab or something but not much. I'll update you with more results after further testing.

good. also keep it on balanced, not top performance

21 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

good. also keep it on balanced, not top performance

@noxdeouroboros So now everything is back together, it seemed to just been an airflow issue. Might invest in a new cooler in the future but its now idling at 45 degrees so it'll be alright. Been a while since i've also used an air cooler so hopefully i've sorted it all now. 

• 1 month later...

I have just build a PC with a 3700X , are these temps high?  This is my second AMD in 20 years, have no feel for whats right..  I'm using the Cosair SPEC-06 Case, I have two Corsair 140 mm, pulling air in, and one at the back pulling air out and I'm using a Noctua NH-U12S air cooler.  Any advice would be appreciated...   Edge (new) was open, teams running, GoXLR, and StreamDeck running in the back ground. 

image.thumb.png.73400ecb283bf1e0543bcbc9d66a7068.png

Also have Ryzen boi 3700X. There no airflow problem at all. I had also some strange temperatures in first day, after mounting my Noctua cooler (Using Noctua NH-U9B SE2.). Idling around 50C-60C, load 75C-82C. I take off cooler and check if thermal paste was distributed fine, was not, two corners on CPU was not covered at all. Then I reapplied thermal paste and got this results:
 38C-39C Idling

61C-72C load, playing some games.

Remember when you want remove cooler from Ryzen go and stress little CPU before. I have encountered problem with taking off cooler because thermal paste cooled down too fast, and was not too warmed.

I have removed the heatsink/air cooler and it look ok to me, may be a little flat in the middle so I put a touch more thermal paste on (see images).   In the BIOS CPU reports 44 degrees, in windows from Commander Pro it's reporting anything from 50 - 60, with normal apps open. 

I'm not into OC so happy to leave at the defaults, and the vCPU is set to 1.42v... I'm beginning to thing this is the normal temp range for the this CPU others online are saying its to high and some are saying it's fine. 

20200519_140323050_iOS.heic 20200519_140326454_iOS.heic 20200519_140529099_iOS.heic