Spare parts into Nas or just buy one?

I've never messed around with a nas and i want to set up a small one in my house. I recently upgraded my pc so I've got a spare cpu (first gen ryzen 7), graphics card, and ram. Would it be better to try and make a nas out of this or sell them and buy an off the shelf solution? 

Better is subjective. If you wan't virtualization and the ability to handle many many hosts and/or services cost wise you'll probably get more umph out of using the old desktop hardware.

Meanwhile if all you want is network storage and not much else then a pre-built solution would be a lot more plug'n'play.

I think it depends on if you have the time/motivation to want to learn something new, or if you just want a NAS now, plain and simple. 

Personally not a big fan of pre-built NAS units, but that's just my opinion, bare in mind I've never owned one, I just look at the cost and get put off. 

You could quite easily build your own, sounds like you already have an idea on system building, server stuff isn't light years beyond that. 

There's a lot of fantastic guides out on the internet, and a lot of videos demonstrating the power of having your own home server. I do recommend checking them out, see if they inspire you :)

R.E.V.O.

Realise       Every       Victory      Outright

Another vote for building your own. Main advantages are cost and the ability to run more services in the future if you want, like Plex and Nextcloud.