Dell G3 keys randomly act like they are stuck when they are not physically stuck and then start functioning properly when pressed again

(posting to help a friend)

I purchased an open box Dell G3 from Best Buy a few months ago and it has progressively been getting worse. I notice it mostly when I am gaming and using the wasd keys. Randomly in game my character will start running a direction without any input from the keys and the only way to stop it is to press the key that is the culprit. The keys are not getting physically stuck, but the computer thinks they are being pushed. Sometimes when I am typing the Ctrl key or shift will get stuck and I have to randomly press buttons until I figure out what is going on. Restarting the computer does not help, only finding the right key. 

I've found people posting about similar problems on tech support forums but none of them have found a solution.

6 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

I purchased an open box Dell G3 from Best Buy a few months ago and it has progressively been getting worse. I notice it mostly when I am gaming and using the wasd keys. Randomly in game my character will start running a direction without any input from the keys and the only way to stop it is to press the key that is the culprit. The keys are not getting physically stuck, but the computer thinks they are being pushed. Sometimes when I am typing the Ctrl key or shift will get stuck and I have to randomly press buttons until I figure out what is going on. Restarting the computer does not help, only finding the right key. 

I've found people posting about similar problems on tech support forums but none of them have found a solution.

Are you/him playing Modern warfare? As it tends to happen if your computer have set the game to a higher priority. Go to task manager-> details and right click MW or any game in particular go to priority and put it to normal. If it's already on Normal try to change it to high close the game and put it back to Normal and relaunch the game. 

Can also try to plug in the keyboard into a different USB output. If you have it in the back of your pc try infront. or other places in the backside of the pc. 

Try to install a driver for the keyboard if they keyboard have one. 

Open device manager and go to keyboard and check if the drivers are all updated. 

It's a laptop...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

33 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Just now, Kilrah said:

It's a laptop...

34 minutes ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

If your friend has a warranty on it replace it at best buy if not and the issue is bothersome enough try and see if the keyboard is in device manager and reinstall its drivers if that's not it your friend can probably (a) use a plug in keyboard if it really isnt that bothersome or (b) if its really gotten annoying your friend could replace the keyboard either themselves or at a computer repair shop

Everytime I have run into this problem it has been physical or liquid damage to the keyboard.