Is 4:3 dead?

FunkyMonkey_217_UK

I'm in the market for a 1600x1200 Monitor.

Only, I don't suppose that they make 1600x1200 Monitors, do they? The whole world decided, for whatever reason, that 16:9 was the aspect ratio for them, and Good old TV-square(ish) be damned.

At a stretch, I might consider 1920x1200, but if 4:3 still lives out in the wild, anyone got any leads? My Google-fu ain't what it used to be.

It's been dead for over a decade, 4:3 monitors are all pretty old. You won't find any modern designs or products.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

And even before that the screens were rounded.
It was only 4:3 because of lack of tech to make it wider. People see in 'widescreen' as well, not square.

But i can totally understand wanting something one's used to.
So a quick google found a couple results on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitors-1600-x-1200-Pixel/s?rh=n%3A428652031%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A319920031

Those are however either very expensive or tiny and DIY style screens.

You might have more luck looking at (local) 2nd hand market.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

The obvious answer is to get a 2560 x 1440 monitor, they're as cheap as 200$ : https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&sort=price&page=1

Set the resolution to 1920x1440 (4:3)  and you'll have black bars on the sides, or set it to 1600x1200 if you must have exactly that, and you'll have black bars all around the image.

You can either go in the monitor's OSD menu and disable stretching or scaling and the monitor will put the 1920x1440 or 1600x1200 rectangle in the center of your screen with black bars as needed, like it happens with movies of various aspect ratios.

If there's no such option, you can go in video card's control panel / settings and there you can lock the resolution to a certain one, set scaling to none, and to center the image. This way, your video card will always output 2560x1440 or whatever the native panel resolution is, but will center the actual resolution (1600x1200 or 1920x1440) and add black bars around the image.

You won't lose any image quality because the monitor doesn't resize the image it receives, because the video card always outputs the native resolution of your monitor (2560x1440) and you see sharp image in the center of your monitor.

I'd like to get a 17" 4:3 CRT at 240Hz haha. 

But yeah 16:9 for some reason started appearing and now 21:9 though I'm more surprised TVs aren't 21:9 first hmm. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Because people see in widescreen.

ie we have a wider view then high!

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!