Ati Radeon HD 4670 - Bootcamp / windows 10

So a long time ago... (2014) I installed Windows 8 on my Mac (mid 2011 with an Ati Radeon HD 4670). I recently made a mistake and got the windows partition uninstalled... I installed it again, this time with windows 10 and I can’t find a way to install the GPU driver without the screen going dark. The only apparent solution is to go back to win 7 or 8 and then upgrade it to win 10. If someone knows another way it would be great!! 

Can you boot your windows 10 in provisional mode somehow? There is a driver conflict but since I'm not really a mac user I can't really tell you how to solve it. Is the screen directly attached to your computer or is it connected trough a cable? If so, you could try attach another screen to see if that works.

You could also reinstall windows 10 from scratch by formatting the partition...
What OS version are you using? is it Catalina?

I’ve had problems with old gpus and drivers on win10 or AMD.  Not sure which.  I want my win8.1 back.  My machine worked right then.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve had problems with old gpus and drivers on win10 or AMD.  Not sure which.  I want my win8.1 back.  My machine worked right then.

Just format and re-install Windows 8.1 then? 

1 hour ago, CristhianL said:

So a long time ago... (2014) I installed Windows 8 on my Mac (mid 2011 with an Ati Radeon HD 4670). I recently made a mistake and got the windows partition uninstalled... I installed it again, this time with windows 10 and I can’t find a way to install the GPU driver without the screen going dark. The only apparent solution is to go back to win 7 or 8 and then upgrade it to win 10. If someone knows another way it would be great!! 

See if you can boot Windows into Safe Mode with networking. Then install the graphics driver from there. I've ran into a similar issue when Windows 10 first came out. Though I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a system with a HD4870 and Windows grabbed the right driver automatically. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 hours ago, Raptor_Fawr said:

Can you boot your windows 10 in provisional mode somehow? There is a driver conflict but since I'm not really a mac user I can't really tell you how to solve it. Is the screen directly attached to your computer or is it connected trough a cable? If so, you could try attach another screen to see if that works.

You could also reinstall windows 10 from scratch by formatting the partition...
What OS version are you using? is it Catalina?

Yeah the screen is attached to the computer and I'm running high sierra. I think I'm going to end up installing windows 8.  

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just format and re-install Windows 8.1 then? 

See if you can boot Windows into Safe Mode with networking. Then install the graphics driver from there. I've ran into a similar issue when Windows 10 first came out. Though I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a system with a HD4870 and Windows grabbed the right driver automatically. 

I did that and it didn't work :/ I remember when I did it the first time there was a crucial step to install the graphics driver. I can't remember exactly all the procedure but it had to do something with changing the device property like the hardware id or compatible id. I wished I saved that tutorial back then:( 

I’ve been trying a lot of things and so far no luck (even on Windows 8).... so I started to remember what I did in the past and I remember that in order to install the GPU driver I had to copy all the values from the hardware ID to a file which I don’t exactly remember... I think it was inside the driver in Windows support install files.... 

image.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2020 at 12:54 AM, CristhianL said:

I’ve been trying a lot of things and so far no luck (even on Windows 8).... so I started to remember what I did in the past and I remember that in order to install the GPU driver I had to copy all the values from the hardware ID to a file which I don’t exactly remember... I think it was inside the driver in Windows support install files.... 

Made an account just to jump on this, can you elaborate a little please? I'm getting nowhere with my 4670 on Windows 8 or 10.

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, OrionGrant said:

Made an account just to jump on this, can you elaborate a little please? I'm getting nowhere with my 4670 on Windows 8 or 10.

Hey I’m having the exact same problem, did you find a solution?

• 6 months later...

use windows 8 and 7. then upgrade your os to windows 8.1 or 10. use the correct driver software from apple not amd. windows 10 is not supported on you gpu.