Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) wont apply with ryzen 5 3600

Hi!

I turn on PBO for manual setting is the bios with 200 offset and custom power and current limits, the bios saves, but these wont get applyed when booting into windows. PPT TDC EDC wont change from stock.

I check it with ryzen master and the values are the stock values. The CPU only does 3950 MHz with CinabenchR15 at 1.37 V (79°C) and ryzen master indicates power limit at ~80W. If i enable maual overclocking it overrides the power and voltage limits. The CPU can easily do 4200 MHz at 1.37 V (84°C) with only ~95W. The CPU is far from the stock current limits.

My goal was to raise the max clocks, but keep the dinamic IDLE clocks and voltages. I think that the only thing limiting the CPU to boost is the power limit. The manual setting has to be set after every reboot and i dont want to lock the voltage, thats why i wanted to use the PBO override PPT.

Thanks for your time.

Rig:

Ryzen 5 3600

Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE (rev. 1.0) (bios version: F50)

4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance 3333 MHz CL16

ASUS Cerberus 1070 ti

Be quiet! PURE ROCK CPU cooler

1000W PSU

If you touched any settings in Ryzen Master, those will override the BIOS settings

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

The power limit seems to be stuck even if i dont open ryzen master after reboot. Checked it with HWinfo

It might just be showing that it's limits on ryzen master. I know my mobo has an option to turn off and on the limits which may be the issue. Ryzen master also could just show what settings it would be at if you set it on ryzen master.

Current Gaming build:

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi

Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000mhz 15-17-17-35

Graphics Card: Geforce RTX 2080

Graphics Card Cooler: EVGA XC Ultra Gaming
Storage: 500GB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Blue
PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750W
Case: Corsair 460x Black
Case Cooling: A mix and match of fans ?
Peripherals:

Monitor: HP 27ea
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 SE
Mouse: Corsair Glaive Black
Headphones: Corsair HS60
Microphone: Blue Snowball Black Edition

"Gaming" Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Mid-2012 with Nvidia Geforce Now

46 minutes ago, menyus420 said:

Hi!

I turn on PBO for manual setting is the bios with 200 offset and custom power and current limits, the bios saves, but these wont get applyed when booting into windows. PPT TDC EDC wont change from stock.

I check it with ryzen master and the values are the stock values. The CPU only does 3950 MHz with CinabenchR15 at 1.37 V (79°C) and ryzen master indicates power limit at ~80W. If i enable maual overclocking it overrides the power and voltage limits. The CPU can easily do 4200 MHz at 1.37 V (84°C) with only ~95W. The CPU is far from the stock current limits.

My goal was to raise the max clocks, but keep the dinamic IDLE clocks and voltages. I think that the only thing limiting the CPU to boost is the power limit. The manual setting has to be set after every reboot and i dont want to lock the voltage, thats why i wanted to use the PBO override PPT.

Thanks for your time.

Rig:

Ryzen 5 3600

Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE (rev. 1.0) (bios version: F50)

4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance 3333 MHz CL16

ASUS Cerberus 1070 ti

Be quiet! PURE ROCK CPU cooler

1000W PSU

The limiting factor here is nothing more than the board. Pretty basic setup, low tier and basic OC layout and functionality (be it User or SenseMi)

If you want it to idle down with PBO, Try setting windows to power saving mode. Don't forget to alter the Desktop screen and PC sleep timers (HDDs too) to your liking so it doesn't fall asleep when you don't want it to.

My B450M-A is very similar to this board. Terrible for tweaking Ryzen processors (any). 

Other than that, I can Link some really useful information from some OC forums that might really help you.

(Also, I'd set Ryzen Master to defaults, shut down and clear cmos. See how it acts after that. NVM if you've already done this.)

On 3/31/2020 at 11:35 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

The limiting factor here is nothing more than the board. Pretty basic setup, low tier and basic OC layout and functionality (be it User or SenseMi)

I dont think thats true. The board can handle the CPU very well for overclocking, the 3600 that is bad for binning and clocks. Thats a lower tear product. I can push mine easily to 4250 MHz all core with this board. The 3600 is a terrible overclocker.

I did some digging, gamers nexus gives a great explanation for PBO and auto overclocking:

On the other hand, i found an other setting for socket power that actuall works in the bios. PBO is only for raising power and current maximums, Auto Overclocking would raise your boost clocks. But in my case none of them helped. I guess ryzen boost clocks are more dependent on temperature, like GPU-s. I enabled auto OC and there is no power limit any more, but these did not raise my clocks....

I dont use PBO as the function seems useless.

Typically I will use either performance enhancer or sensemi offset.

PBO yes raises power limit to allow a higher boost frequency.

At 1.37v you are likely at the VRM limit of 100 amps if its even that much.

20 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

At 1.37v you are likely at the VRM limit of 100 amps if its even that much.

Stock current limit is 114 A, but the fets are 70A each, but i wouldn't run them anywhere near that limit.

• 1 month later...

https://youtu.be/G7Z7bJJcCNY?t=1053 Buildzoid here demonstrates manual PBO giving a performance boost, the only difference I can see that might make the manual PBO limits not take is that he is using XMP (and if you look at tweaker settings its right underneath) and I'm not. I could be wrong, I'm clutching at straws here.

your best of manually oc it i did with my 3700x get better  performance lower volts and lower temps  

I've got PBO power limits to go over 142w (for 105w TDP processors). Its got 2 places to put PBO settings AMD CBS & AMD overclocking. I used AMD overclocking and I unlocked the limits in AMD CBS. Here are my settings:
https://imgur.com/a/2uxhgym

I'll look at manual overclocking after I've got my 2 kits of Patriot viper steel 4400 b-die.