Super high idle temps

notlinus

I got a new PC and my GPU idles at around 70-80 degrees and my CPU idles around 60 degrees. I have 2 fans blowing air through the case and I'm using the stock heatsinks for the ryzen 5 3600 and MSI evoke 5700xt. 

My room doesn't feel hot and the air coming out the back of my PC isn't super hot either.

I noticed it while playing borderlands 3 and my CPU usage was only at 20%-30% and my GPU was at 100 degrees.

In the past 2 case fans and stock heatsinks have been fine so idk what the issue is here.

Any recommendations? 

Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, notlinus said:

Yup it is installed front to back

Could you upload a photo of your PC? Specifically the fans, could help diagnose the problem.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

I've just opened up my pc and turned it on and the gpu fans arent spinning up. Ive set them to 100% on msi afterburner but its not spinning at all

what were your old specs and what are your current specs? anything above 55C at idle is a problem and most likely caused by poor thermal paste or lack of it on the main chip of the CPU and GPU. I would take them apart to make sure the paste is applied correctly but you will need more to replace what you just took apart first. most people will tell you about thermal grizzly thermal compounds.

So air is flowing from the red fan to the black. The GPU is exhausting air from the back and front and the intake is on the bottom

20200401_011617.jpg

Nice computer, it should run anything you want if you can keep everything cool. If it were me I would change that CPU cooler out for something better. The video card itself should be just fine, if you can get cool air to the fan intakes, which are located on the bottom of the card just above the power supply shroud. Not much of a gap there, 1.5 inches maybe? Looking at the front fan it's not getting any air into that gap from the looks of it so the video card probably is just recirculating air, getting hotter and hotter, not cool... (sorry)

Is there provision for mounting an extra front intake fan? If not, change out that front fan for a high flow version. Put 2 in if at all possible, a fan in the lower position looks to have a decent chance of getting air into that gap. I would also change out that rear exhaust fan for a high flow version.

This looks like one of those cases (couldn't help it again) where the power supply shroud is restricting air supply to the video card intakes pretty severely, remove it if needed. You'll have to look at those ugly cables (oh no!) but it should open up air movement quite a bit.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, notlinus said:

I've just opened up my pc and turned it on and the gpu fans arent spinning up. Ive set them to 100% on msi afterburner but its not spinning at all

Did you resolve this? It certainly would explain the high GPU temps.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

13 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

Did you resolve this? It certainly would explain the high GPU temps.

Yeah I did and it's not thermal throttling anymore but it's still averaging 95 degrees. I may try to get some high flow fans and removing the psu shroud like @Relayersuggested.

Thanks for the help guys!