Which of these monitors would you recommend?

IAmAndre

Hi,

I need to upgrade my aging Samsung Syncmaster F2380. I've had it for almost a decade now and right now the ghosting while gaming makes me sick. It's still working fine though so I think it could still be useful as a secondary monitor in portrait mode. I'll be using the new monitor mostly for my work, which also includes color-sensitive tasks, but also gaming on the weekend.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but although I don't want any ghosting, I don't think I would need a high refresh rate monitor. I know that these are two different characteristics, but gaming monitors might be seen as the best package to avoid any ghosting. I don't play shooters a lot, and when I do it's either the story mode or online on rare occasions. I mostly play action games like Assassin's Creed, and strategy games. So ideally I'd need a decent refresh rate like 75Hz, good color fidelity out of the box, and preferably a high resolution to see more elements in strategy games. I have a Vega 56, which wouldn't allow me to get more than 75 FPS at1440p in most games.

I don't want to spend more than $350, shipping included. I don't live in the US and there are only crappy office monitors in my country, so I have to import them and potentially pay import fees. This leaves me with a max budget of $200-250.

Here are the options I found, so let me know what you would recommend:

MSI Optix MAG271R 27"

ViewSonic VA2719-2K-SMHD 27"

- I'm also very tempted to buy two or three AOC 24V2H 24" because they are much cheaper, actually so cheap that I probably wouldn't be charged import fees. The shipping fees are also much lower at around $85.

So what are your thoughts?

2 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

The ViewSonic is automatically out. It has a 1 star view and doesn't say anything about its refresh rate.

I'd say either the AOC or MSI. The MSI is better for gaming though.

A single customer review doesn't mean much. The maw frame rate is 75Hz.

Just now, Roanan said:

I have that Optix, and it's a great monitor. Just make sure you turn on Freesync and turn off overdrive in the OSD

Yes the reviews are positive overall. However I don't really need the extra Hz and wouldn't mind trading that for the higher resolution.

4 minutes ago, Roanan said:

I have that Optix, and it's a great monitor. Just make sure you turn on Freesync and turn off overdrive in the OSD

Also, maybe try a different source? Mike's in Canada is where I bought mine

So do you think it would make sense to play say Assassin's Creed or Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order at 165Hz?

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

So do you think it would make sense to play say Assassin's Creed or Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order at 165Hz?

It makes sense to play any games you can run at 165hz at 165hz on a 165hz monitor

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

12 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

It makes sense to play any games you can run at 165hz at 165hz on a 165hz monitor

The question was if there was any advantage. For example it makes more sense to play an RTS ar a higher resolution than a higher frame rate.

26 minutes ago, Roanan said:

The G27C2 is a 144hz/1ms monitor, and it takes DSR nicely, so I may be gaming at 1080p, but I'm upscaled and still running my games at max settings (RTX2070 helps)
For the $250cdn (on clearance) it was worth every penny. I don't even miss my old 49" ultrawide anymore

What do you mean by "upscaled" in this context? Would you also recommend it over the similarly-priced 1440p IPS for productivity and color sensitive work?

Ipersonally prefer the looks of the MSI and I have an MSI motherboard and GPU so I guess it would be nice. My only concern is whether it's worth the trade-off in terms of resolution since gaming isn't what I do most and most I'm not sure how much of a difference the high frame rate would make in the games I play.

BTW I just realized that I posted the wrong link. The one I'm considering has a VA panel and a 165Hz refresh rate.

20 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Just because one person reviewed the monitor doesn't automatically make their review invalid.

image.png.5b196548718e4c5186f8fcadefbee3ec.png

I already checked professional reviews of all the monitors in the list and they are all positive overall. This could be a bad unit or someone just really picky.

You should maybe consider AOC Q3279VWFD8 .. 31.5" 2560x1440 75 hz 10bit ips panel, good color calibration from the start at 290$

AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" QHD 2560x1440 Monitor, 10-Bit IPS Panel, 4ms, 75Hz, Freesync, DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D/VGA, Flickerfree

AOC CQ32g1 may also be a good deal and reviews sound good... you get 144 hz and va panel makes it good blacks and contrast, you have good colors like ips panel, and a bit of curve shouldn't be a problem

Amazon.com: AOC CQ32G1 31.5" Curved Frameless Gaming Monitor, Quad HD 2560x1440, VA panel, 4 ms Response Time, MPRT, 144Hz, FreeSync, DisplayPort/HDMI/VGA, VESA: Computers & Accessories

4 minutes ago, Roanan said:

Just a thought: maybe try activating DSR on your current setup and see if playing at 2k on your old monitor fixes any issues?

image.png.0f149dcd247b50f44ae67b7e2cf7e6ad.png

Actually I have an AMD GPU so I guess it doesn't support this feature.

I'm definitely not buying an OLED monitor. So are you saying I should go for the ViewSonic over this one?

19 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You should maybe consider AOC Q3279VWFD8 .. 31.5" 2560x1440 75 hz 10bit ips panel, good color calibration from the start at 290$

AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" QHD 2560x1440 Monitor, 10-Bit IPS Panel, 4ms, 75Hz, Freesync, DisplayPort/HDMI/DVI-D/VGA, Flickerfree

AOC CQ32g1 may also be a good deal and reviews sound good... you get 144 hz and va panel makes it good blacks and contrast, you have good colors like ips panel, and a bit of curve shouldn't be a problem

Amazon.com: AOC CQ32G1 31.5" Curved Frameless Gaming Monitor, Quad HD 2560x1440, VA panel, 4 ms Response Time, MPRT, 144Hz, FreeSync, DisplayPort/HDMI/VGA, VESA: Computers & Accessories

I like both of these but the issue is that they are over my $200-250 budget. Also the shipping fees for a 31" monitor would be a bit higher.

5 hours ago, Roanan said:

On AMD it's called VSR https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

Interesting. I think I found the best bang for the buck: https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX3276-2K-MHD-Frameless-Widescreen-AmazonBasics/dp/B0826YKG3L

So 32" 1440p IPS VESA compatible, 75Hz but not compatible with any dynamic refresh technology. I think I can live with that.

I found it at under €300 shipping included.

51 minutes ago, Roanan said:

https://www.viewsonic.com/eu/products/lcd/VX3276-2K-mhd.php
Response Time: 4ms (GtG) <- GOOD
Colours: 1.07 Billion colours (10 bits colour depth) <- OKAY
Colour Gamut: 
75% of NTSC (Typ) <- VERY BAD

DM me. I've been doing the computer thing for a very long time.
Let me help you find the best monitor for you, but I need a tiny bit of info that shouldn't be public

eg: this one maybe? 
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2719D-LED-Monitor/dp/B07JP9QJ15/
or perhaps look here: https://www.dell.com/sn/p/monitors

Sure DM sent.