Worth to upgrade to 2070 super now?

Apocalysm

Should I upgrade  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should I upgrade

• Yes, do it
    • No wait!

Hello so I have been thinking alot about upgrading my graphics card. I have a amd 390 right now. So my question to you is it worh to upgrade my graphics card now or should i wait for nvidas new series? I use a 1080p monitor with 144hz. My cpu is a 4670k but I will upgrade it to ryzen 3600 because I want more ram and I feel like it would be waste of money to buy ddr3 right now.

The i5 will bottleneck you extremely badly. The 2070 Super will be a waste of money. Get a Ryzen 5 3600 or 4600 first and then think about upgrading the GPU

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The i5 will bottleneck you extremely badly. The 2070 Super will be a waste of money. Get a Ryzen 5 3600 or 4600 first and then think about upgrading the GPU

I will buy a ryzen 3600 but I was thinking about getting a new gpu with it

Just now, Apocalysm said:

I will buy a ryzen 3600 but I was thinking about getting a new gpu with it

I'd say wait for the upcoming RTX 3000 series and RX 6000 series. The 390 is still very capable and should last a few months

Honestly, buy the gpu now, upgrade the cpu later. Yes as said above your i5 will bottleneck it, but its not like it’ll be unusable until you upgrade, you just won’t get the full performance out of it.

Quote me or @TwilightRavens if you want me to see your reply. I may go inactive for a long time from time to time because I forget how to socialize, but I will be back... eventually.

Main Gaming PC

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X || AsRock X570 Taichi || G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4 3600MHz 2 x 16GB C16 1.35v || AMD Wraith Prism || Phanteks Enthoo Pro E-ATX || Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC || Samsung 970 Evo 250GB NVME SSD & Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME & Crucial 960GB SATA III SSD || EVGA Supernova 750W Platinum PQ || Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 || Gigabyte M27Q 27" 170Hz 1440P & Acer 21.5” 1080p 75hz IPS || Logitech G213 Prodigy || Logitech G502 Hero

Laptop

AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with RadeonGraphics || ASUS TUF A15 ||  DDR4 3200MHz 2 x 8GB C22 1.2v || ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 4G GDDR6 || 512GB NVME M.2 SSD  ||  Ubuntu 22.04.1 (Jammy Jellyfish)

1 minute ago, TwilightRavens said:

Honestly, buy the gpu now, upgrade the cpu later. Yes as said above your i5 will bottleneck it, but its not like it’ll be unusable until you upgrade, you just won’t get the full performance out of it.

Well I would like to get 16gb of ram, I only have 8gb and it would feel like a waste of money to buy ddr3.

9 minutes ago, Apocalysm said:

Well I would like to get 16gb of ram, I only have 8gb and it would feel like a waste of money to buy ddr3.

Yeah it would, i just meant I would buy the GPU now and then do a whole system upgrade when you can afford it, the i5 won’t kill the GPU, you just won’t get the most out of it. It would be better than what you currently have by far.

it would be cheaper than buying a card that the i5 won’t bottleneck and then having to turn right around and invest in another one. That’s what I did before I upgraded to my Ryzen system, my i7 couldn’t handle my 1080 ti but I just toughed through it until I got my Ryzen up and running.

Lastly, buy what you need now, if a 2070 delivers the fps you need go for it, it won’t suddenly perform any worse when RTX 3000 cards launch, it just won’t be as fast as a 3000 card of the same caliber. If its not enough, then I would wait to see what next gen brings.

Quote me or @TwilightRavens if you want me to see your reply. I may go inactive for a long time from time to time because I forget how to socialize, but I will be back... eventually.

Main Gaming PC

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X || AsRock X570 Taichi || G.Skill TridentZ Neo DDR4 3600MHz 2 x 16GB C16 1.35v || AMD Wraith Prism || Phanteks Enthoo Pro E-ATX || Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Gaming OC || Samsung 970 Evo 250GB NVME SSD & Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME & Crucial 960GB SATA III SSD || EVGA Supernova 750W Platinum PQ || Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64 || Gigabyte M27Q 27" 170Hz 1440P & Acer 21.5” 1080p 75hz IPS || Logitech G213 Prodigy || Logitech G502 Hero

Laptop

AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with RadeonGraphics || ASUS TUF A15 ||  DDR4 3200MHz 2 x 8GB C22 1.2v || ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 4G GDDR6 || 512GB NVME M.2 SSD  ||  Ubuntu 22.04.1 (Jammy Jellyfish)

13 minutes ago, Apocalysm said:

8GB of DDR3 should only set you back $20 or so in the US, and if you're planning on keeping and gaming on your PC for any length of time, I'd do it.

To your original question, who the hell knows when the 3000 series cards are coming at this point? If you're worried about spending a ton on a 2070S then having a 3060 or whatever drop at the same price and outperform it, consider buying used instead to minimize your hit if you end up doing a quick turnaround on it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

11 minutes ago, TwilightRavens said:

Yeah it would, i just meant I would buy the GPU now and then do a whole system upgrade when you can afford it, the i5 won’t kill the GPU, you just won’t get the most out of it. It would be better than what you currently have by far.

it would be cheaper than buying a card that the i5 won’t bottleneck and then having to turn right around and invest in another one. That’s what I did before I upgraded to my Ryzen system, my i7 couldn’t handle my 1080 ti but I just toughed through it until I got my Ryzen up and running.

Lastly, buy what you need now, if a 2070 delivers the fps you need go for it, it won’t suddenly perform any worse when RTX 3000 cards launch, it just won’t be as fast as a 3000 card of the same caliber. If its not enough, then I would wait to see what next gen brings.

I have money to upgrade everything but I was wondering what would be the smartest choice here. Wait for a 3000 series cards or just go for the 2700 super or 2060 super

id say wait. the 30 series will make 20 cheaper.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

2 minutes ago, Apocalysm said:

I have money to upgrade everything but I was wondering what would be the smartest choice here. Wait for a 3000 series cards or just go for the 2700 super or 2060 super

3000 series are due in less than 6 months. Wait.

Just now, aisle9 said:

8GB of DDR3 should only set you back $20 or so in the US, and if you're planning on keeping and gaming on your PC for any length of time, I'd do it.

To your original question, who the hell knows when the 3000 series cards are coming at this point? If you're worried about spending a ton on a 2070S then having a 3060 or whatever drop at the same price and outperform it, consider buying used instead to minimize your hit if you end up doing a quick turnaround on it.

I´m not from US, in my country its pretty hard to get a pair 8gb ddr3 and they will cost around 50-70 USD

2 hours ago, Apocalysm said:

I´m not from US, in my country its pretty hard to get a pair 8gb ddr3 and they will cost around 50-70 USD

I’d sell you my old Corsair Vengeance 4 x 8GB DDR3 2400MHz kit if shipping outside the states didn’t cost an arm, leg, kidney and left nut, in all seriousness the shipping would probably cost more than what the whole kit is worth. I bought the whole set right before they had the price hike on RAM a few years ago for pennies on the dollar. Now its just sitting in a box because my stupid Z97 board hated running it at XMP, the Z77 system I had before that though had 0 issues with it though.

Main Gaming PC

Laptop

Something I should mention too is that my motherboard have started to give up i think. A few of the ports on it is broken. 

if you can wait then its probably better to wait but more than likely you will have to wait a year or more from now for the new series of GPUs. most of the time "release" dates on the forums are just announcement dates that the company is going to be making the next series of whatever they make with it still taking months or a year before they hit the shelves not to mention what is going on right now pushing everything back and cancelling major tech expos all over the world.

if you have to buy a new motherboard then best to buy it and a new CPU first and then worry about the GPU later.

18 hours ago, Apocalysm said:

Something I should mention too is that my motherboard have started to give up i think. A few of the ports on it is broken. 

Very similar thing was happening to my ASUS Z97-E, my normally stable overclocks were causing memory bsod’s, the RAM wouldn’t go past 1333MHz even though I ran memtest on another machine with that kit for 24 hours and zero errors. Board was just giving up at that point.

Going X570 and a 3900X was the best investment I’ve made in a long time PC wise. Same could be said for my 1080 ti.

Main Gaming PC

Laptop

59 minutes ago, TwilightRavens said:

Very similar thing was happening to my ASUS Z97-E, my normally stable overclocks were causing memory bsod’s, the RAM wouldn’t go past 1333MHz even though I ran memtest on another machine with that kit for 24 hours and zero errors. Board was just giving up at that point.

Going X570 and a 3900X was the best investment I’ve made in a long time PC wise. Same could be said for my 1080 ti.

I think I will wait for the 3000 series or a really good deal on the 2070 super. I ordered the ryzen 3600 with 16gb of ram, a new 500gb m2 ssd and a motherboard. So now I will just wait and see if I can find a good deal

I've voted for you to wait, due to the fact that I don't know what you're playing - are you experiencing really bad performance from your system in what you wanna game?

I'd say the logical first step is to install Rivatuner or something like that and see what's getting hit the hardest and upgrade that component; CPU, GPU or maybe RAM (I know DDR3 could be seen as a waste, but at least at my local used marked, prices seems to have stabilised for a while, since no new DDR3-systems are being made, so you'd possibly be able to sell it again at the same price or a very small loss). If the 8gb you have is bottlenecking the other two components, then it's a cheap and easy upgrade temporarily and maybe enough for you to be happy with your system until next-gen GPU's and CPU's comes along.
Then you can consider what to do next. The upgrades you're talking about, GPU and CPU, will most likely come down in price with the new launches (both new and used), and will have exactly the same level of performance - only lower on the range of similar level next-gen item, but not in actual performance, which sould save you some money at the same performance-level. Moreover, oyu could buy at the same price-level and get more performance with next-gen. 

On the other hand, there's the perpetuality of the argument, why not wait until next-next-gen then, and so on. The reason why I'd still say wait comes down to two things: AMD being a real potentually competitor to Nvidia for next-gen, and the fact that 8gb ram might save you some money in the longer run, if you only upgrade that now. 

I see that you've ordered some of the parts already - hope they fot your needs - I just wanted to give my point of view too - interesting discussion.