Increasing Storage for a Dell PowerEdge T330 with PERC H330

amsga
Go to solution Solved by BloodKnight7,

Hey man, worry not, your T330 is completely safe on that regard, its one of the low end offerings so there is no locked down hardware on it. You can put any SAS or SATA drive you want in that PERC no issues as long as the technology is compatible! Also, protip, make sure you keep your server with the latest bios/idrac/firmware/drivers updated. You can easily do this from iDRAC.

Hi All,

I am currently looking at a used Dell PowerEdge T330 with a PERC H330 RAID Controller to use as a home server.

It has two Seagate 1 TB SAS drives in RAID 1.

I was planning to add maybe a 6 TB SATA HDD for other data.

My concern now is that I have seen on some sites that states that Dell uses custom firmware to determine what drives can go into their servers.

And because of that custom firmware, they may not recognize off-the-shelf HDD.

I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on the subject?

Hey man, worry not, your T330 is completely safe on that regard, its one of the low end offerings so there is no locked down hardware on it. You can put any SAS or SATA drive you want in that PERC no issues as long as the technology is compatible! Also, protip, make sure you keep your server with the latest bios/idrac/firmware/drivers updated. You can easily do this from iDRAC.

18 hours ago, BloodKnight7 said:

Agree with this.

Even if the drive is flagged as "uncertified" by the PERC, it doesn't mean it's not compatible. Drive certification using Dell's custom firmware on HDDs is only to validate engineering as an end-to-end supported solution via warranty. But yeah, it should still work regardless.