CAN I USE ALCOHOL IN MY COMPUTER AIO

OK so I'm an auto mechanic and it's common in my industry to use alcohol based products to get your car to run at a lower temperature Candace retrans lated over into AIO and full custom loops could you add alcohol based products to lower your temperature has anybody tried this just want some input it would probably be a cool experiment

A mixture of water and alcohol is usually already used. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I thought they use atheling glycol in propylene glycol not alcohol based product glad call is not a petroleum based product

I'm going to apologize in advance for the talk to type

5 minutes ago, JR6955 said:

I thought they use atheling glycol in propylene glycol not alcohol based product glad call is not a petroleum based product

Those are both alcohols. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I came up with a little invention what it does is switches it's got 2 120 MM AIO and before one reaches 60 degrees Celsius it switches to the other one to keep your temperatures low and then switches back when it gets close to send 60 degrees Celsius I thought it would be pretty cool tag and tried to get Linus team to toy around with it and see what they could come up with

They belong to the same chemical class as alcohol but I'm thinking something like iSOPROPYL alcohol

In cars you typically run a mixture of 2:1 or 3:1 Ethylene-Glycol to water, preferably distilled water. In PC water loops you do not need the anti-freezing capability or delay of alcohol in water. However you need growth inhibitors and fungicides. It is basically the same stuff you put in cars but at a ratio of 10:1 or even less. Why, because plain water does carry more heat than alcohol bases solutions, so you only want to use as much as needed and that's it. By the way, same goes for cars in hot climates, only use the minimal recommended amount, otherwise the car might overheat regularly, like on older cars with only belt driven fans.

5 minutes ago, JR6955 said:

I came up with a little invention what it does is switches it's got 2 120 MM AIO and before one reaches 60 degrees Celsius it switches to the other one to keep your temperatures low and then switches back when it gets close to send 60 degrees Celsius

That's useless.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Which kinda confirms you can use isopropyl alcohol because it's the same chemical class which means it would not degrade the metal

Yes water will carry heat better but alcohol will cool the water faster correct

The switching mechanism is basically like the thermostat in your car which is very useful

1 minute ago, JR6955 said:

If it's useless please explain

Quote people when responding to individuals. Most people do not auto-follow threads, and will not necessarily see your response.

2 minutes ago, JR6955 said:

Yes water will carry heat better but alcohol will cool the water faster correct

Sorry no, the alcohol inside the water changes the boiling and freezing point of the water. It does not accelerate the transfer of heat to the radiator. Only radiator space, meaning surface area, air moving through the radiator and to some extent the speed of the fluid make a difference.

"Quote people when responding to individuals. Most people do not auto-follow threads, and will not necessarily see your response." 

Sorry I'm a noob

Thank you not very well versed on fluid dynamic and heat transfer

Also isopropanol or isopropyl alcohol is highly flammable and corrosive. It will damage the pump and dry out the rubber hoses and seals. I use it to clean off oil sludge inside my 31 ford truck, works great but it would not use it for something other than a cleaning product.

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's useless.

If it's useless please explain the switching is like the thermostat in your car which is very useful I thought

OK all I think I got the hang it is

22 minutes ago, JR6955 said:

I came up with a little invention what it does is switches it's got 2 120 MM AIO and before one reaches 60 degrees Celsius it switches to the other one to keep your temperatures low and then switches back when it gets close to send 60 degrees Celsius I thought it would be pretty cool tag and tried to get Linus team to toy around with it and see what they could come up with

does anyone else want to punch some holes in this theory if not I am going to build it

I want to use isopropyl alcohol in the switching AIO hoping it will cool faster

6 minutes ago, JR6955 said:

If it's useless please explain the switching is like the thermostat in your car which is very useful I thought

Except that's not the same function as a mechanical thermostat.Combustion engines work best at temperature, a vehicle thermostat restricts coolant flow while the engine heats up, then open to stop a pressurised system boiling over.  

There's some fundamental design differences you're over looking. 

Overall yes you can use glycol/alcohol, the thermal difference in practise in a PC is not going to be noticable (outside of sub ambient coolant temps) to stop galvanic corrosion sure, but a piece of silver works just as well. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

15 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Also isopropanol or isopropyl alcohol is highly flammable and corrosive. It will damage the pump and dry out the rubber hoses and seals. I use it to clean off oil sludge inside my 31 ford truck, works great but it would not use it for something other than a cleaning product.

But diluting it with water well stop all the corrosiveness correct

4 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Except that's not the same function as a mechanical thermostat.Combustion engines work best at temperature, a vehicle thermostat restricts coolant flow while the engine heats up, then open to stop a pressurised system boiling over.  

There's some fundamental design differences you're over looking. 

Overall yes you can use glycol/alcohol, the thermal difference in practise in a PC is not going to be noticable (outside of sub ambient coolant temps) to stop galvanic corrosion sure, but a piece of silver works just as well. 

Chuck subsilver would destroy a pump though correct