Quad HDMI Video capture and editing PC

Dennis_HH

Hello together,

I watch Linus videos for long time, but this is my first post in this forum 🙃

I work in a research institute at a german tech university. Because of the corona situation and the digitalization in general we want to set up a video studio for creating video content. In general I have experience with PC Hardware, but not for this use case. We want to capture up to 4 HDMI sources. I searched a litte bit and found the Blackmagic DeckLink Quad HDMI Recorder PCIe Card that we want to use. But I'm also open to other recommendations.

So here is the list of the Build Plan Recommendations:

1. Budget & Location:

As a university out budget is always low, so we don't want to spend more then 3000€ (~3300$) excluding the Recorder Card, but more is possible if absolutly neccesary. As mentioned we are located in germany.

2. Aim:

The main reason for building this system is, that it must be able to save up to 4 x 4K Videostreams from the Blackmagic HDMI Recorder simultanously. In theory we don't need 4 x 4K at the moment, but it should be future proof.

The System will most propably also be used for post production and archieving the raw data and final edited videos. One video recording can take up to 120 minutes per session.

• Which processor is necessary for such a usecase?
  • Memory:
    • I thought about using two M.2 SSD
      • One standard SSD for windows
      • One big high speed SSD to record to. Is this enough or do I need a RAID configuration for the recording?
    • For archieving the files I thought about a RAID5 of ~5 HHDs. Or is this maybe also suitable for recording and I don't need the additional fast SSD?
  • RAM:
    • how much do I need for recording?
    • how much do I need to handle 4 x 4K tracks (120 minutes) in (for example) Adobe Premiere?
  • Graphics card: When understanding correctly I don't need a powerfull graphics card for this usecase or am I wrong? What would you recommend?
  • Mainboard: what is suitable mainboard for the recommendations above?
  • The system will be in a room where also meetings will be done. So it must be quiet!

3. Monitors:

System should be able to drive two 4K monitors. Monitors are not part of this build.

4. Peripherals:

doesn't matter

5. Why are you upgrading

no existing system

I hope you can help me 😊

Best greetings and stay healthy!

Dennis

• 1 month later...

1. It’s hard to know for sure about your needs without knowing the cameras you’re using, the compression, bitrate and color spec at which you want to record, etc.

2. First of all, I’m not sure that it’s so simple to record from all four of the Decklink Quad’s inputs simultaneously. At the very least, you need a very powerful machine... encoding four videos simultaneously would be very taxing on a system, if it’s even possible. The Decklink Quad is great if you want to use software switching (like Wirecast or vMix or OBS) to broadcast live. But if you want to record four cameras, most video creators record them each separately. So if you don’t need live multi-camera video, and in-camera recording (to whatever media your cameras use) is for some reason not an option, I’d use recorders like those made by Atomos or Blackmagic. (I’ve had a lot of success with the Blackmagic Video Assist line.) I suppose you’ll need four of them, but that means not needing the Quad capture card, and not needing quite as high-power a machine (because you won’t have to ingest 4x 4K video streams at once). When it’s all done, you’ll have to ingest the files for post-production, but that’s how most video creators do it.

3. If you can afford big enough M.2 SSDs for your needs, don’t bother with HDDs in RAID. (If you need the space for archival video then fine, but for editing a single project made up of 120 minutes of standard bitrate video recording from four cameras, 2-4TB should be plenty.) Not using 4 or 5 HDDs mean you need less space in the case, less power, less cabling, and not having to deal with a RAID card.

4. For Premiere, you’ll get good performance from at least 64GB of RAM and an i7 or i9 CPU with as many cores as possible. In other words: as beefy as you can afford for your budget. And you’ll want the highest-end current-model NVIDIA card you can afford to put in there.

Also if you use my build you’re going to need 3 dp to hdmi adapters, but those are pretty cheap

Sorry I posted the wrong thing, but dp to hdmi is cheap, even one that supports 4k