Hi,

I recently finished building my new, rather high-end gaming PC. Now, before I actually chose the parts, I did a lot of research about computer hardware as I had never built a PC before.

Now, during that research I couldn't help but notice that many seem to buy the GPU I chose (an ASUS DirectCU II R9 290x OC) to mine various cryptocurrencies.

I barely know anything about cryptocurrency-mining (the techquickie video probably contains all the information I have), however, the thought of my PC earining money for me is quite a compelling one,

and since my PC seems to be well-suited for that task, I'm considering starting to mine.

However, before I do that, I have a few questions which I need answered.

1. Does mining even pay off on a normal gaming PC? Does the worth of the currency exceed the cost of the power supplied to my PC?
  2. Will the constant workload shorten the lifespan of my hardware? I spent a lot of money on that PC and I'm planning to keep it for the next few years...
  3. Which cryptocurrency should I mine? There's quite a few of them, what are the advantages and disadvantages?
  4. How do I even mine? Do I download one software, or are there multiple ones to choose from?
  5. How do I join a "pool", as described in the introduction to bitcoins?

In my PC, I have the previously mentioned R9 290x, an AMD FX-8350 and 8GB of DDR3-2133 RAM, aswell as a Corsair RM 750 Watt PSU.

1. Depends where you live, as energy costs vary drastically.

2. If you run it 24/7 in a closed in case it might. I've seen 6990's toasted.

3. It varies from day to day which is most profitable. I think Doge is one of the highest at the moment.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Hi,

I recently finished building my new, rather high-end gaming PC. Now, before I actually chose the parts, I did a lot of research about computer hardware as I had never built a PC before.

Now, during that research I couldn't help but notice that many seem to buy the GPU I chose (an ASUS DirectCU II R9 290x OC) to mine various cryptocurrencies.

I barely know anything about cryptocurrency-mining (the techquickie video probably contains all the information I have), however, the thought of my PC earining money for me is quite a compelling one,

and since my PC seems to be well-suited for that task, I'm considering starting to mine.

1. Does mining even pay off on a normal gaming PC? Does the worth of the currency exceed the cost of the power supplied to my PC?
  2. Will the constant workload shorten the lifespan of my hardware? I spent a lot of money on that PC and I'm planning to keep it for the next few years...
  3. Which cryptocurrency should I mine? There's quite a few of them, what are the advantages and disadvantages?
  4. How do I even mine? Do I download one software, or are there multiple ones to choose from?

In my PC, I have the previously mentioned R9 290x, an AMD FX-8350 and 8GB of DDR3-2133 RAM, aswell as a Corsair RM 750 Watt PSU.

Just dont... instead make some money by selling your 290x for a ridiculous price (apparently newegg sells them for 900$) and buy a cheaper 780. You'll never make up the price of your rig by mining these days, especially if you don't have a dedicated rig you run 24/7. And yes it will grill your card quite fast. It's basically like running furmark 24/7 365

Not worth it unless you're getting like 10 290X'

I disagree. I didn't build my computer to mine, but I did end up mining. I have made $22 a week for the past few weeks mining. Costs me $15 a month to run my pc 24/7. I would say it is worth it, not a huge amount of money. But considering it is just being made from my computer being on it's good.

To the op it wont hurt your card as long as temps are normal. Under 90c, it wont hurt it a bit.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Which will take 10x to make profit since you spent 10 times more to get them, your logic is flawed.

Just dont... instead make some money by selling your 290x for a ridiculous price (apparently newegg sells them for 900$) and buy a cheaper 780. You'll never make up the price of your rig by mining these days, especially if you don't have a dedicated rig you run 24/7. And yes it will grill your card quite fast. It's basically like running furmark 24/7 365

He already has the card ( if i understand right ) so any mining that he does when not using the pc is a profit, no it wont "grill your card quite fast" and even if the card breaks, its under warranty.

To the OP, yes start mining scrypt based coins, LTC, DOGE are the most popular, i recommend DOGE since its more profitable now, to start mining, just google the coin youre gonna mine, find a pool and itll explain how to set things up, trust me its not hard i did it like a month ago.

Last thing you need to do is learn the phrase "TO THE MOON" cause you should use it a lot and hope that the coins you have become more valuable, and go TO THE MOON

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

I really don't have the time to answer your questions, Just don't listen to the ignorance listed above. 

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

I really don't have the time to answer your questions, Just don't listen to the ignorance listed above. 

mining with 1 290x that you also use for your rig (meaning he won't run it 24/7) is just plain stupid. The OP wants to keep using his cards for 4 years, and I really doubt mining will make your card 4 years. I have already heard of many people grilling their cards in a year of mining. 

We don't even know where he live, and even in a place with low electricity, if he wants to make money if you take into account the exchange fees (from doge to litecoin, from litecoin to bitcoin, from bitcoin to paypal and finally from paypal to cash), he'll earn at most 3$ a day (when you subtract electricity fees). It's just not worth it. 

It's not hard to keep 1 290x cool, the problem is when people think that they can run multiple cards in a case. Your exchange method is completely flawed. There are many ways to cash you, none of them need to involve Ltc or Paypal.

Using a calculator to figure out profit is an extremely flawed process. The real money isn't in dumping doge as soon as you get it, but I'm sure you know that due to your extensive mining experience. 

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

Hi,

I would suggest getting in on flappycoin while its still at a low difficulty. I'm not trying to make flappycoin great or anything, and i perosnally think its a stupid idea, but if dogecoin has taught me anything, its that coins based on a meme and followed by many reddit peeps, allows for great profit. Its a risky one to mine in case it busts, but I dont believe it will. Plz don't comment that flappycoin is stupid and a copy of other coins, I already know that, I'm just trying to make some money here.

One 7950s' all I need...

Lemme guess, you don't mine? Cuz the 290X is not very good price/prformance mining card (270 is best)

I disagree. I didn't build my computer to mine, but I did end up mining. I have made $22 a week for the past few weeks mining. Costs me $15 a month to run my pc 24/7. I would say it is worth it, not a huge amount of money. But considering it is just being made from my computer being on it's good.

To the op it wont hurt your card as long as temps are normal. Under 90c, it wont hurt it a bit.

What currency? wat how 780 lol wat hax

You did this with a gtx 780?

one of my 780s gets 700khash/s nvidia cards are better than people make them out to be, I can make ~9$ a day mining on both cards, it's not much though :(  I may make a lil baby rig someday for mining with 4 270s or something, but idk

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You did this with a gtx 780?

Not did, I do. As stated above they aren't near as bad when you use cudaminer. I'm sitting 1.4 litecoins in 8 days right now.

@theawesomejman

USD, using cudaminer, no hacks just having some education and know what to do. My 780 gets 450khash or more. I also use my laptop which gets 50khash. I have no use for the laptop anymore so I just have it mining, together about 500khash. Which is pretty decent for what I'm using. It's no 290x, but I didn't buy any of this to mine so I don't expect it to be.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Not did, I do. As stated above they aren't near as bad when you use cudaminer. I'm sitting 1.4 litecoins in 8 days right now.

@theawesomejman

USD, using cudaminer, no hacks just having some education and know what to do. My 780 gets 450khash or more. I also use my laptop which gets 50khash. I have no use for the laptop anymore so I just have it mining, together about 500khash. Which is pretty decent for what I'm using. It's no 290x, but I didn't buy any of this to mine so I don't expect it to be.

such khash, very profit. much wow.

Yup, that's why anyone who says nvidia cards suck at mining don't know what they're talking about. May not be a 290x, but it's definitely not bad.

Yup, that's why anyone who says nvidia cards suck at mining don't know what they're talking about. May not be a 290x, but it's definitely not bad.

Even though my 7870 gets 410 kh/s on my middle of the line intensity?

They are just not to be bought for mining purposes 

Even though my 7870 gets 410 kh/s on my middle of the line intensity?

They are just not to be bought for mining purposes 

Buying them to mine isn't something you should do. But buying them for gaming, mining on the side they definitely stand on solid ground.

I just updated some settings in cuda miner and now I am getting 510 kash :D

After doing some modding to cudaminer and increasing the power limit to 130% I am now getting 595-600 khash. :D

After doing some modding to cudaminer and increasing the power limit to 130% I am now getting 595-600 khash. :D

does cudaminer benefit of of cuda cores? if so how well would a titan do, I think it has the most cudacores...

You can mine and even make some money with your AMD cards, but eventually, the difficulty go up too far for mining to be worth it. That's how I see it.

@theawesomejman Titan gets 650-700 kh/s.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj3vcsuY-JFNdHR4ZUN5alozQUNvU1pyd2NGeTNicGc&usp=sharing#gid=0

Current record holder in cudaminer is 780 Ti which can overclocked do up to 800 kh/s.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

does cudaminer benefit of of cuda cores? if so how well would a titan do, I think it has the most cudacores...

Cudaminer is just optimized for nvidia cards. I'm not sure if it uses cuda cores or how exactly it optimizes so much, haven't done that much research into. According to charts not using cudaminer it gets about 150ish khash more than a 780. So possibly that much more than mine now. But no idea, haven't seen any titan miners using cuda miner before.

My god I love it when you e-shit all over these people. Makes me laugh every time. 

Your brain is literally slower than a snail. Having 1 290X will break even just as fast as 10 290X's. 10x initial cost, 10x more mining power. Logic.