Your brain is literally slower than a snail. Having 1 290X will break even just as fast as 10 290X's. 10x initial cost, 10x more mining power. Logic.

That's not entirely true.  The way the difficulty increases, it's better to have a higher hashrate early, than it is to gradually purchase more hashing power.  Though the argument that a single 290X is worth mining on is valid especially when you already have the hardware.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

That's not entirely true.  The way the difficulty increases, it's better to have a higher hashrate early, than it is to gradually purchase more hashing power.  Though the argument that a single 290X is worth mining on is valid especially when you already have the hardware.

I do realize it's true. That doesn't change that fact that the logic behind BloodyValley's post is incorrect. 

I do realize it's true. That doesn't change that fact that the logic behind BloodyValley's post is incorrect. 

And a 270 is better price/performance anyway :/

I disagree, but it may of course vary from country to country. In Denmark the best price/performance is a R9 280x :P

I disagree, but it may of course vary from country to country. In Denmark the best price/performance is a R9 280x :P

Well if you look it is over 400KH/s for a 270, with low power compared to a 280x

Hi,

I recently finished building my new, rather high-end gaming PC. Now, before I actually chose the parts, I did a lot of research about computer hardware as I had never built a PC before.

Now, during that research I couldn't help but notice that many seem to buy the GPU I chose (an ASUS DirectCU II R9 290x OC) to mine various cryptocurrencies.

I barely know anything about cryptocurrency-mining (the techquickie video probably contains all the information I have), however, the thought of my PC earining money for me is quite a compelling one,

and since my PC seems to be well-suited for that task, I'm considering starting to mine.

However, before I do that, I have a few questions which I need answered.

1. Does mining even pay off on a normal gaming PC? Does the worth of the currency exceed the cost of the power supplied to my PC?
  2. Will the constant workload shorten the lifespan of my hardware? I spent a lot of money on that PC and I'm planning to keep it for the next few years...
  3. Which cryptocurrency should I mine? There's quite a few of them, what are the advantages and disadvantages?
  4. How do I even mine? Do I download one software, or are there multiple ones to choose from?
  5. How do I join a "pool", as described in the introduction to bitcoins?

In my PC, I have the previously mentioned R9 290x, an AMD FX-8350 and 8GB of DDR3-2133 RAM, aswell as a Corsair RM 750 Watt PSU.

Read the sticky thread

Spoiler

Not... really. 

ldWe9Vv.png

750ti is the best card in North America 

Not... really. 

ldWe9Vv.png

But..how? Nvidia is horrible at mining, my 7870 gets 380.. at 300W

But..how? Nvidia is horrible at mining, my 7870 gets 380.. at 300W

I dunno. Just with the recent Cuda Miner improvments and the AMD price surge, Nvidia cards are starting to get better for mining.

7870 has a TDP of 130 watts by the way... you must be measuring your entire system

I dunno. Just with the recent Cuda Miner improvments and the AMD price surge, Nvidia cards are starting to get better for mining.

7870 has a TDP of 130 watts by the way... you must be measuring your entire system

No it doesn't.. Mine is maxing out my 500W PSu with my system mining

No it doesn't.. Mine is maxing out my 500W PSu with my system mining

The TDP for the 7850 we measured at roughly 110W and the 7870 at 130 Watt.

Straight from Guru 3d. The 7870 has a TDP of 130 watts. the rest of your system is what uses all that other power. CPU+Mobo use 100watts easily. Not to mention  Hard Drives, fans, etc

Straight from Guru 3d. The 7870 has a TDP of 130 watts. the rest of your system is what uses all that other power. CPU+Mobo use 100watts easily. Not to mention  Hard Drives, fans, etc

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353979-28-hd7870-500w

165, but still quite a bit more power

It just blows my mind how the 750ti does

Not... really. 

ldWe9Vv.png

750ti is the best card iExcn North America 

Except for the fact that this chart gets no where close to showing the real performance of these cards. Every KH/s listed for the AMD is way under where anyone will actually run them, something tells me that the 750ti isn't gonna be pushed much farther.

You are free, act like it~Warfairy. Moar guns. B) #3Dprinting

• 2 weeks later...

Not... really. 

ldWe9Vv.png

I got 475khash/s with my Gigabyte 270x, not overclocked...