NAT type is strict - tried port forwarding and enabling DMZ.

HeyCrest

Hello, I am getting a problem when I want to play an online multiplayer game. Each time I play it, I get the warning that my NAT type is STRICT. I want to make it to OPEN or at least MODERATE. I have written a clear point-to-point description of everything thats happening, and solutions I have tried below. Please help me fix it!

Problem - NAT type strict for Assassin's Creed Unity.
What does NOT work - Unable to invite friends. They get the error "You couldn't join the session. Try again later."
What works- Can join random players in multiplayer missions. Also if a friend who does not have this issue invites me to their game, I can join them.
Further notes - Both me and my friend I want to play with have NAT type strict, so none of us can invite the other. Even if one of us gets this resolved, we can play together.
fca95001ef5ed7b75f1d0b3baf0aaf4d.svg
0483f2b648dcc986d01385062052ae1c.svg
6201503f3aa918470a2190b36d1e196f.svg

[6:20 AM]

Solutions I have tried- 1) Disabling Windows firewall completely. 2) All required ports forwarded on router. 3) Added inbound rules to allow connection for the ports. 4) Added inbound rule to allow connection for the game application ACU.exe 5) Enabled static IP from Windows which resulted in me unable to play multiplayer at all- cannot even connect with random people then. 6) Binded the MAC address of PC with IP from router itself so similar as static IP. Now my computer always runs at 192.168.0.102 7) Enabled the risky DMZ and entered the 102 IP address in its option. 8) Tried both cases disabling and enabling UPnP from router which was enabled by default. 9) Used a VPN to log in from different regions like UK and Canada. 10) Tried disabling SPI firewall from router. 11) Asked my ISP to check if there's any problem on their side. Also asked them to make sure the required ports are open.
My friend also tried to play using his data pack's hotspot, not using his home wifi altogether. Same issue persists. Also tried most of the solutions above in various combinations together. Some enabled, some disabled. It either resulted in me unable to go online at all, and when I could, the NAT type would be strict.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Are perhaps behind a Double NAT? Have you plugged a router into a modem/router combo?

How do I check that? This is how my connection is set up. My PC is connected via a LAN cable to my Wifi router. A cable from outside my house goes into the Wifi router as well. My router model number is TL-WR840N

Are perhaps behind a Double NAT? Have you plugged a router into a modem/router combo?

I looked up how to check if I have a Double NAT, and I found this- "To check for double NAT on your network, log into your router and look up the IP address of its WAN port. If you see an address in the 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x range (both of which are private) it means that the device your router's WAN port connects to is doing NAT, and hence, you're dealing with double NAT". I checked mine, and mine does not start with 10 or 192. So it is likely NOT a Double.

25 minutes ago, HeyCrest said:

How do I check that? This is how my connection is set up. My PC is connected via a LAN cable to my Wifi router. A cable from outside my house goes into the Wifi router as well. My router model number is TL-WR840N

Generally Ethernet isn't used for WAN connections but I have heard of small portions of WAN networks using it so it's possible but at the same time some ISPs put you behind NAT64-CGN on their WAN which could possibly cause a Strict NAT type.

@Lurick Second Option?

Also the 3 common private address ranges are:

10.X.X.X
172.16.X.X
192.168.X.X

If none of these appear on your WAN interface then you probably aren't behind a Double NAT. At least not one you setup.

Generally Ethernet isn't used for WAN connections but I have heard of small portions of WAN networks using it so it's possible but at the same time some ISPs put you behind NAT64-CGN on their WAN which could possibly cause a Strict NAT type.

@Lurick Second Option?

Also the 3 common private address ranges are:

10.X.X.X
172.16.X.X
192.168.X.X

If none of these appear on your WAN interface then you probably aren't behind a Double NAT. At least not one you setup.

My public WAN IP does not start with any of those, and not even with 100.64.0.x like the comment suggests. So I'm sure I'm not being a double NAT. I have spent 24+ hours trying to find a fix of this problem now :(

43 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

And in case of CGNAT they use this range: 100.64.0.0/10

Nope, my public WAN IP does not start with that either. So looks like I'm not behind a double NAT. Been trying to fix this problem for more than a day now :(

5 minutes ago, HeyCrest said:

100.64.0.x

My bad, its actually a pretty huge range:

100.64.0.0–100.127.255.255

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

My bad, its actually a pretty huge range:

100.64.0.0–100.127.255.255

Oh. Still, my IP does not fit into that.

21 minutes ago, HeyCrest said:

My public WAN IP does not start with any of those, and not even with 100.64.0.x like the comment suggests. So I'm sure I'm not being a double NAT. I have spent 24+ hours trying to find a fix of this problem now :(

At this point it's probably something else. What, I'm not certain. Double NAT is just a common culprit for services like this so I brought it up.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

At this point it's probably something else. What, I'm not certain. Double NAT is just a common culprit for services like this so I brought it up.

Oh, ok. Thanks a lot for trying to help me. I appreciate it. I hope you stay safe in these pandemic times.

10 minutes ago, HeyCrest said:

Oh, ok. Thanks a lot for trying to help me. I appreciate it. I hope you stay safe in these pandemic times.

Yep.

There is currently over 4,000 activate cases within the state of which I live with none recovered and numerous deaths according to the Global Cases site.

aniblobsweat.gif.348928f8a3c6ba5daafb8c41007378b9.gif

Good news is I only go outside when I have to and my occupation generally doesn't involve interacting with people so I may come out of it OK. Fingers crossed. :D

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yep.

There is currently over 4,000 activate cases within the state of which I live with none recovered and numerous deaths according to the Global Cases site.

aniblobsweat.gif.348928f8a3c6ba5daafb8c41007378b9.gif

Good news is I only go outside when I have to and my occupation generally doesn't involve interacting with people so I may come out of it OK. Fingers crossed. :D

Good to know you are taking the necessary precautions. That's an interesting website. Although my city and my state are not shown any dot in that website, when in fact there have been seeing a significant number of cases since the last week. Take that data with a grain of salt and stay home ❤️