First Post.... Rebuilding my X58 rig

MaverickMP

Hey guys... Long time Lurker, first time poster.

I just recently finished building my current rig... (first pic)

Thermaltake p3

MSI Gaming Edge Pro Wifi a/c

32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200mhz

i59600k oc'd to 4.7 base

EVGA rtx2060

Thermaltake AIO

Thermaltake 750w RGB

1tb Firecuda SSHD

500gb Firecuda SSHD

512gb Sabrent Rocket NVME

120gb Corsair SSD (boot)

This was coming from my old right which was....

Corsair c70

Asus x58 Sabertooth

12gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz

I7 960 oc'd to 4.0 base

Asus GTX 970Turbo

Corsair 120gb SSD

500gb Seagate HDD

Corsair 240mm AIO

But Ive been wanting to freshen up my old x58 board and sue it as a 3dprinter hub and as a media server for our dvd library (so we can finally clear out the physical disks)

So here's what Ive come up with.(2nd pic)

Thermaltake v200

Asus Sabertooth x58

24gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz

Xeon w3690 (will be oc'd slightly)

CoolerMaster Hyper212 Evo

Asus GTX970 turbo

1tb Firecuda SSHD

2 6tb Barracuda HDD in Raid

1000w antec PSU (from the old rig)

Anxious to see how this thing gets on. Just waiting for the 212Evo to get here on Friday and then I can get windows installed.

20200318_004742[1].jpg

20200318_004729[1].jpg

Is all it's gonna be used for as a 3d printer data feeder and media library? Then you are much much much better of getting some cheap i5 office pc as that x58 system will use a looot of power to complete the same tasks.

Go for it most of the parts are still very decent in today. Still keep your disk media but just back it out the way because you never know what might happen. 

On 3/18/2020 at 1:20 AM, jaslion said:

Is all it's gonna be used for as a 3d printer data feeder and media library? Then you are much much much better of getting some cheap i5 office pc as that x58 system will use a looot of power to complete the same tasks.

Yea I see what you're saying. Steam will be loaded on the rig too. And it won't be on all the time. Really I just didn't want to get rid of all the components when everything still worked. Basically just making an excuse to build another machine.

Well she is all assembled. Did the first test boot and windows install on thursday... everything checked out. Boot times and first openings of apps was soo slow because of the hdd.

But had a nice surprise this morning. Because of the lockdown here in california, I have a lot of extra time on my hands. Last night I was going through all my misc. Computer stuff and found my old i5 Intel Nuc. Decided to open it up because I knew I bought a ssd for it. Sure enough a 256gb adata ssd was inside... and below that, a 120gb Samsung 850 m.2. Which I totally forgot was in there. 

So this morning I put the adata ssd in the x58 rig, reformatted everything and put win10 on that drive. Soooooo much snappier. Once the w3690 gets here and its installed and OC'd then I'll get quick boot enabled and we should be good to go. Already installed world of warships, world of warplanes and everything maxed out @4k. Runs butter smooth. Downloading GTAv right now and will report back on that later.

The 850 m.2 made it's way into my main gaming rig. Reformatted all the drives and did a fresh install of win10 on the 850. Now just going back through and reinstalling everything again...

20200321_114246.jpg

Here's the 4k benchmark on gtav. Global settings on high....

• 2 weeks later...

The w3690 finally showed up today.... already installed and OC'd to 4the on a hyper 212 evo.

Benchmark is uploading to youtube.

20200404_123128.jpg

20200404_123120.jpg

20200404_122128.jpg

Well its a good thing I ended up building this rig... With work from home I'm using it as a rendering machine for exported 3dxml and .step files for work. I have a RTX2060 XC Ultra in the mail to replace the GTX970 Turbo so I render images with GPU render enabled.

This damn virus..... Hope everyone is staying safe!

• 2 weeks later...

spacer.pngAlright... so the rtx2060 is in.... getting 30 to 40fps more in the gtav benchmark @ 4k res. Thats good for now. 

But I'm not a big fan of closed cases these days. So I found a 2020 extrusion rest bench on Amazon. I really just need it for the longer extrusions and PCIx hold down brackets. 

I'm a big fan of my P3 case.... and I want to have this x58 rig open air as well. And when you have a 3d printer.... well....

So the board will sit in the vertical. The power supply will be on the base, and under that will be trays for the Adata ssd and firecuda sshd. Just waiting for the motherboard standoffs to arrive... then just need to get my hands on a fully modular power supply. Also I need to come up with some front panel I/O, and a mounting bracket.

20200408_211054.jpg

20200410_130428.jpg

20200410_134543.jpg

20200412_215040.jpg

20200412_215407.jpg