DIY NAS Case

Ricotta Elmar

hello guys,

i have a question, i am looking for a decent small pc case that i can use for a nas

what i am looking for is a case with 6 or more 5.25" bays,

i am planning to snap in https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/mobilerack/CSE-M35T-1.php

at the moment i have a nas but it is so limited,

so i wan't to make my own nas,

i perfer hot swaps, but a pc case with 10+ internal 3.5" bays that wil do to, although i perfer  easy access to the hdd's  if one breaks down
i googled abit here and there but could not find a suitable case that fill my needs,

i saw years back they had nice cases for this, but that changed alot to gaming cases and tempglass

maby someone can help me find a suitable small pc case to make a DIY nas,

i perfer somthing smaller than a full tower like  stacker tc-01,

i already have one a stacker tc-01,

but i have to fix that one up,

the case is in quite a bad state and to fix that up it probaly cost more than buy a new case

24 minutes ago, WesleyNL said:

hello guys,

i have a question, i am looking for a decent small pc case that i can use for a nas

what i am looking for is a case with 6 or more 5.25" bays,

i am planning to snap in https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/mobilerack/CSE-M35T-1.php

at the moment i have a nas but it is so limited,

so i wan't to make my own nas,

i perfer hot swaps, but a pc case with 10+ internal 3.5" bays that wil do to, although i perfer  easy access to the hdd's  if one breaks down
i googled abit here and there but could not find a suitable case that fill my needs,

i saw years back they had nice cases for this, but that changed alot to gaming cases and tempglass

maby someone can help me find a suitable small pc case to make a DIY nas,

i perfer somthing smaller than a full tower like  stacker tc-01,

i already have one a stacker tc-01,

but i have to fix that one up,

the case is in quite a bad state and to fix that up it probaly cost more than buy a new case

LTT recently did a thing where he got 20 HHDs into a case, so they’re out there.  Not sure which one he used.  Budget would be a thing.  One minor thing I notice, the title read to me like you wanted to hand build a case, which you don’t seem to want to do.  Perhaps editing the title might net more replies.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

there's a company selling 300 quanta servers

You may want to buy one of the 450$ servers with 12 3.5" bays : https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1799745

1U Compute
50x D51PC-1U (v3/v4) w/ onboard RAID, Dual Heatsink, 2x 10G on mezz, 2x 10G PCIE (DAS2ETH38D0), 10x SFF Trays, Dual PSU, Rails - $250ea

2U
50x D51B-2U (v3/v4) w/ 9271-8I, 2x 10G on mezz, Dual Heatsink, 24x SFF Trays, Dual PSU, Rails - $250ea
50x S210-X22RQ (v1/v2) w/ 9271-8I, 2x 10G on mezz, Dual Heatsinks, 24x SFF Trays, Dual PSU, Rails - $150ea

Storage
150x SD1Q-1ULH 12x3.5” SATA/SAS + 6x2.5” (SSD only) + 1x PCIe 2280 M.2 w/ D-1541 CPU Onboard, 2x 10G on mezz, Trays, Dual PSU, Rails - $450ea

Pictures available upon request!
All CPU/memory options in stock to custom configure. All systems have 1 Year warranty – can ship globally (currently in Minnesota). Free shipping in continental US. Please send DM or email me.

judd dot L @ core4solutions dot com

it's not small as in cube , but it's 1u ... so thin and flat and super efficient psus (400w platinum)

31 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

LTT recently did a thing where he got 20 HHDs into a case, so they’re out there.  Not sure which one he used.  Budget would be a thing.  One minor thing I notice, the title read to me like you wanted to hand build a case, which you don’t seem to want to do.  Perhaps editing the title might net more replies.  

i know what case that is, but heck, that case is huge, i mean if i have a case like that i rather fix up my old case witch looks beter than the fractal design 7 / 7 xl

here is my old case although it dont look liek that anymore

https://imgur.com/K1pQelQ

https://imgur.com/yiMW83Z

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

there's a company selling 300 quanta servers

You may want to buy one of the 450$ servers with 12 3.5" bays : https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1799745

it's not small as in cube , but it's 1u ... so thin and flat and super efficient psus (400w platinum)

server is nice but i can't use my own mobo / ram in there, i perfer to stick with a atx kind

server racks are just to large

34 minutes ago, WesleyNL said:

server is nice but i can't use my own mobo / ram in there, i perfer to stick with a atx kind

server racks are just to large

you wouldn't have to. you get 8core cpu and mb in that price, and you get dual 10g and high eff. psu etc

check the pics... maybe it would be possible to stack those 3  4x3.5" bays vertically and make your custom case that's not so deep

Related image

https://xtech.nikkei.com/it/atcl/news/16/101803031/101900060/ph3.jpg?__scale=w:480,h:360&_sh=0960530b30

similar model (different part number, with just one psu)

wuanta.png?v=1467068566

i am not that handy, i don't have tools to make a custom nas case, all i can do are simple things like respray, drill holes for fans ,

my case have some deep scraches onm the the alu parts and that aint cool because the parts are brushed alu

i am painter from my main job so i can respray and fix those scraches probaly but the burshed alu will be gone most likely

and well as i said earlyer i can fix up my old stacker but to much work and to tall and deep,

the case was in the basement and my dad trowed all kinds of stuff in there so yeah

i was more looking for cases like Lian Li PC-Q26 or Lian-Li PC-A17A

but unfortualy lian li don't make them anymore,

i wanted something more compact, but nowdays cases are all about watercooling and gaming sadly ,

btw i am from the netherlands

1 more 2.25" bay would have been nice so can slap in a backplane 5x 3.5 into 3x 5.25

but thats indeed a nice small case for a nas

On 3/17/2020 at 10:00 PM, WesleyNL said:

1 more 2.25" bay would have been nice so can slap in a backplane 5x 3.5 into 3x 5.25

but thats indeed a nice small case for a nas

What about a https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=153 3x 3.5 in 2x 5.25? It would give you 11x 3.5

• 2 weeks later...

ohwell, i am fixing up or atleast give it a new paint job my old stacker tc-01 ,although it is not the best, i cant get a nice smooth panels, i use new paint new brushes exc.., i use soft bruh to not a hard one, , using sikkens redox ak primer ast start then i ned to find a god way to make it smooth before fisnishing, also i dont know how to fix bushed alu panels

what it looks for now , i will be using it as nas/server kind though

the case got terrible demaged duo my dad and throwing junk on it and so

1.jpg

2.jpg

20200402_124609.jpg