Feedback about components appreciated

fkrauthan

I am currently thinking about upgrading (for the most part replacing tons of components) and was thinking about having an end result looking a bit like this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/CxpRq3 to have a future proof PC and potentially upgrade the graphics card at a later stage with a more powerful one.

The components on that list that are going to be new are:

• CPU
  • CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (as my new boot drive)
  • Power Supply

My goal is to have a future proof PC that at the same time uses quiet components when ever possible (one of the reasons why I am thinking about getting a separate CPU cooler instead of using the stock one). Do you guys think the components should work well together or did I overlook something here? And has anyone experience with the CPU Cooler and the Picked Power Supply in regards of noise development or are there better options out without doubling the price?

You're spending way too much on your motherboard, power supply and storage.

What do you use this pc for? Do you even need a 3900x?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

14 minutes ago, fkrauthan said:

I am currently thinking about upgrading (for the most part replacing tons of components) and was thinking about having an end result looking a bit like this: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/CxpRq3 to have a future proof PC and potentially upgrade the graphics card at a later stage with a more powerful one.

The components on that list that are going to be new are:

• CPU
  • CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (as my new boot drive)
  • Power Supply

My goal is to have a future proof PC that at the same time uses quiet components when ever possible (one of the reasons why I am thinking about getting a separate CPU cooler instead of using the stock one). Do you guys think the components should work well together or did I overlook something here? And has anyone experience with the CPU Cooler and the Picked Power Supply in regards of noise development or are there better options out without doubling the price?

Bro. Your 1tb drive is more than the 2 tb. Make sure to check for the best prices. Please, Please, PLEASE  get a better cpu cooler than the hyper 212 evo. You'd practically be better off using the stock wraith cooler. Get a beefy nocuta or similar, or a 240mm+ AIO cooler to keep you cpu nice and chilly. Instead of 2*18 gb of ram, go for 4*8 for that beautiful quad-channel memory. The motherboard is okay... Nothing too special, except for it's price. Terrible. But the 3900x (Do you really even need it) and the 1060 will create a pretty large bottleneck, and most AAA games, or gpu-intensive programs can easily bring a 1060 to it's knees. The PSU is okay but, really go for maybe a 750 watt or even a 650 watt, You'll be fine, and get a cheaper one. Buy a new cases, preferably one suitable for a 3900x,  (GOOD AIRFLOW) and get some quiet fans.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

11 minutes ago, fkrauthan said:

Wow, what will you be actually using that PC for? Gaming? Productivity (if so: which programs, to what extent?)?

You might not even need a 3900X, let alone 32GB of Ram. You are definitely paying A LOT for that motherboard and those drives. For that money you could get a killer machine including a new GPU.

What do you plan on doing with the computer?  A 3900X is way beefy unless you're doing some real heavy stuff.  Spending $1,000 on a CPU/motherboard combo probably goes beyond "enthusiast" level PC's and kind of breaks into high-end desktop (HEDT) or professional workstation territory.  If all you want is something that will last 3-4 years you don't need to spend that much money.

I have four usecases for this PC:

1. Playing around with some 3D work with Blender
  2. Running some VM machines and IDEs (Intellij etc) for development
  3. Playing games (primary games I play at the moment include...)
    1. The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt
    2. Red Dead Redemption 2
    3. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
    4. X-Plane 11 (and potentially the new Flight Simulator when it comes out)
  4. Playing some VR Games (even though I assume the 1060 is the primary bottleneck for that).

Therefor the 32GB RAM are not that much of a waste in my case. The idea is to have some hardware that might be a bit oversized at the moment but is not going to be outdated 2 to 3 years down the road (and I know that there is a high chance that it still happens or stuff breaks).

@InnerBeast Gaming Re the hard-drive: The two SATA SSDs I already own. Therefore the price on them are not relevant. Only the M.2 Hard Drive would be new. And why do you think the current case would not be a good fit (again that case I already have and therefore would not need to buy). It is a pretty big Tower Case with plenty of space (and good noise cancellation).

32gb is fine.

the cooler isn't, not worth buying it. get 240mm or bigger water cooler or something in the 50-60$ otherwise stay with supplied cooler.

really overboard on the motherboard, not worth the money. A 100$ cheaper motherboard will be equally good.

For example see the relatively new msi unify : https://www.newegg.ca/msi-meg-x570-unify/p/N82E16813144273

psu is fine.. debatable that you need 850w ... probably 650w will be plenty but if you really want to be future proof for 16core cpu and 2080 super kind of builds 750w is enough

high wattage psus will be less efficient at very low loads (your machine will use less than 100w when idle in windows, watching youtube etc)

@mariushm my concern with the MSI would be that currently I already use 8 USB ports on the back and it seems like that one only has 7 ports.

Do you guys think that maybe even my super old Power Supply a Corsair CX Series CX500M 500W might work for this build and I can just reuse that one?

Board has 8... one is usb type-c.

There are usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 headers on the motherboard, you can always buy a bracket and use them

examples:

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 4 Port USB A Female Slot Plate Adapter - USB panel - 4 pin USB Type A (F) (USBPLATE4): Electronics

Amazon.com: RIITOP 2 Ports USB 3.0 Female Back Panel to MB 20pin Header Connector Cable Adapter with PCI Slot Plate Bracket 1.5ft: Computers & Accessories

Alternatively, you can always get a small basic simple usb hub for a few of your usb devices that don't need the super high bandwidth

Here's an example of a sleek non-intrusive hub you can hide behind pc and it's from a reputable brand : https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Extended-MacBook-Surface-Notebook/dp/B07L32B9C2/

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-4-Port-Macbook-Surface-Notebook/dp/B00XMD7KPU/

51scO1VOfIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yes, you can reuse your power supply.  There's 2 eps (8pin) connectors for cpu, but only only 1 connector must be populated, and 2nd one is not required, but it wouldn't hurt. So if your psu has only 1 eps cable, it will still work

That particular msi motherboard (the carbon) is kinda messed up, weak on the vrm and not so great cooling so it's not recommended. The asus board in your previous post is much better when it comes to vrm and ability to overclock and so on. The carbon is trading performance to add features (ex wifi) and fancy design