Anyone tried the Mantle beta drivers with BF4 What were your results?

ross06187

Apology’s if this is a repost but i did have a look and dident find anything.

So being an r290 owner I thought I would have a go with Mantle.  I installed the new beta driver (14.1 Beta Driver as of now).  I have a i5 4670K that has a CPU bottleneck mainly as I run twitch on my second display.  The cpu is at 100% when gaming even @4.4 GHZ.  If I don’t run twitch at the same time it is 85-90% CPU usage.

My primary monitor is 144hz benQ at 1080p so I shoot for around 100fps (using the in game fps monitor) on my R9 290 which normally can run high settings but can run ultra on some maps,  (some also need medium.)

Having heard the hype I tried mantel.

My frame rate went into the toilet.   On low settings I was getting 50-80 fps with drops to 20. Turning it up to ultra the frame rate was lower but similar.  I did notice that my cpu was at 100% all the time even without twitch and bf4 was the cause.

So it looks like I CPU bottle-necked the Mantle driver, the irony.  Just to note switching back to direct X again on that driver had the same terrible frame rates so the driver in general seemed to not work for me.  (that’s beta for you)

I did do many reboots and game rests to make sure the driver settings took properly. oh well back to the non beta drivers,

This is not a troubleshooting issue as it beta and the issue is its beta.  But I wanted to see if anyone else is having a good experience right now.

i tried it, i got more fps, but also waaaaaaaaay more lag spikes

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

I have a 3570k and 290X reference at stock clocks.

With Mantle, I usually get over 70 FPS on max everything (Ultra, 4xMSAA, 1080p) with dips to 55 or 60. I do have other monitors, but they are usually just for monitoring downloads or something else.

With DirectX, I usually get around 60 FPS with those settings and dips to 50 or even 45.

I haven't noticed any graphical glitches with Mantle so far aside from the "normal" washed out color it give (although that is not Mantle and is just a bug with BF4).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I have a 3570k and 290X reference at stock clocks.

With Mantle, I usually get over 70 FPS on max everything (Ultra, 4xMSAA, 1080p) with dips to 55 or 60. I do have other monitors, but they are usually just for monitoring downloads or something else.

With DirectX, I usually get around 60 FPS with those settings and dips to 50 or even 45.

I haven't noticed any graphical glitches with Mantle so far aside from the "normal" washed out color it give (although that is not Mantle and is just a bug with BF4).

With a 290x you should get more FPS I think.

No that's wright on Ultra I am similar on some maps (290 to 290x fps is under 10).  There is massive map Variance  some will run 100fps on ultra some will run 40.

I think it's the 4xMSAA that does it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

7870 xt + i3 2120

maxed the game(100% resolution scale, 200% is crazy)

On the final bf4 campaign mission

dx11:

min: 18

max: 42

Average: 34

Mantle

min: 2

Max: 138

average: 57

Mantle at the moment causes big freezing issues so its not playable.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

My Hd7870 + i5 2500k would get 45-60 fps on ultra with dx11, mantle brought it up to 75-90 on ultra. However the lag spikes did make it unplayable, Once they fix that It'll be sweet.

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

looks like i was unlucky when the driver, hopefully the next one fixes it for my system it should be sweet. 

The current driver sucks on my pc making everything unplayable on mantle or direct x.

ohh well at least it somewhat working for others.

the beta drivers have random issues beyond count (especially in combination with BF4). don't take them as example for mantle and wait for the next full release drivers, then try again.

the beta drivers have random issues beyond count (especially in combination with BF4). don't take them as example for mantle and wait for the next full release drivers, then try again.

This one understands what the term "Beta" means when used correctly. 

This.

† Christian Member †

This.

There are only who things in existence that can even run mantel right now one of them being bf4.  My 290 is even one of the devices the drivers is specifically designed for so i had hopes. but will wait for the next beta before trying again.

There are only who things in existence that can even run mantel right now one of them being bf4.  My 290 is even one of the devices the drivers is specifically designed for so i had hopes. but will wait for the next beta before trying again.

My 290X runs it fine. Not that that discounts your account, but I'm just giving my own.

† Christian Member †

This.

It doesn't mean a whole lot with drivers, neither does WHQL for that matter.

File a bug report with AMD, that is about all you can do.

Given the issues the driver has had I'm sure it was released premature under pressure to deliver after BF4 announced support. Give it some time, AMD doesn't have the same resources as others.