Video Conference Software

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to assist my department at my university to setup a solid platform to deliver decent online classes. These classes are NEVER online and need to meet a few requirements:

1) FREE (we cant afford anything else after textbooks)

2) Can hold at least 20-25 people

3) User friendly (my department are NOT techies...)

-OPTIONAL-

~ can be accessed with our phones. 

We have Zoom currently, but it has given us some problems. Any information would be extremely helpful and appreciated! 

Discord might be your only option. might be a challenge to teach the not techies but it isn't harder than facebook.

6 minutes ago, nonsense42 said:

Discord might be your only option. might be a challenge to teach the not techies but it isn't harder than facebook.

I was thinking discord. I haven't gotten clarificatiion if they want a text chat window. Does discord have a limit of people that it can have on video chat (this is a requirement for one faculty member, unfortunately)?

22 minutes ago, AngelOfBodom said:

I was thinking discord. I haven't gotten clarificatiion if they want a text chat window. Does discord have a limit of people that it can have on video chat (this is a requirement for one faculty member, unfortunately)?

It's 10 users if you're not paying. Though if you created a server, an unlimited amount of people could join a single voice chat.

Maybe use Twitch for the instructors for a video element and Discord for voice and text chat?

There's gotta be a software out there for this exact thing, but it has to cost money. I bet the uni would have to buy special licensing so that end users would not have to pay.

16 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It's 10 users if you're not paying. Though if you created a server, an unlimited amount of people could join a single voice chat.

Maybe use Twitch for the instructors for a video element and Discord for voice and text chat?

There's gotta be a software out there for this exact thing, but it has to cost money. I bet the uni would have to buy special licensing so that end users would not have to pay.

I think some webinar software platforms work in the same way, but you're right... they cost money. Video is the main component for one of the courses, so somehow allowing the students to use their camera but show them when they're talking? It's just a lot with about 20ish students and older faculty members. 

49 minutes ago, AngelOfBodom said:

No limit last time i checked, Discord can have text channels and screen sharing, So discord is probably your best bet, Maybe skype would work.

Blake has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!