Can I get some feedback, please? Office computer, some gaming, spreadsheets, lots of data. Monitor and case suggestions welcome too!

Izanami

Hello and thanks for the help!

1. Budget & Location

Ontario, Canada. Roughly $700. Could go slightly higher. Canada Computers is the closest retailer.

2. Aim

Office computer for parents. Lots of spreadsheets, expanded data tables, heavy use of online programs (Ancestry trees, YouTube, etc.) The computer they had was really slow and it was driving them absolutely mental. I'm aiming for something snappy and quick with good performance to improve their quality of life when dealing with technology.

3. Monitors

1 monitor. I would love suggestions for a monitor that is at least 27" since it will make it easier for my parents to read what is on screen. I have heard the LG32MA68HY is a good candidate. I can consider the monitor above and beyond the $700 budget. It might make a nice gift for them.

4. Peripherals

Monitor needed. No mice or keyboards required. I think I can clone their old hard drive to the new NVMe so the OS should be OK.

5. Why are you upgrading?

Their previous computer was ruined in a massive storm. This is not a huge upset because it was terribly slow (5 min to turn on, 30 sec to launch chrome) and it was ancient. They hated working on it. I would like to provide them with a computer that will do everything they want it to do and do so quickly and efficiently. They have no idea what they've been missing out on for the last 10 years.

This is what I am considering. I can put it together but I'm out of the loop regarding components - it has been a while!

Note: It has been suggested to me that I upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen 5 2600, the GPU to a 1060 (whatever that is), that GSkill work better with Ryzen, and the LG monitor is a good choice. I have no idea about power supplies or cases. 

Thanks for any assistance!

I'd probably drop that GPU in that particular build. I believe the integrated gpu is on par with the 1030.

What kind of gaming is done on the computer that requires a dedicated GPU?

For this use case and the fact that you're going with an APU (which is a solid choice), there's no need to add in a dedicated graphics card, especially considering that the Vega 11 inside the 3400G is about on par I believe with the GT 1030.

While I don't know of a specific monitor that I'd recommend, what I'd suggest is looking for a higher than 1080p resolution, say 1440p, as especially after about 24", 1080p just doesn't really cut it imo. A 1440p panel will bring a big improvement in sharpness, particularly when you go for a larger monitor. Also, a good IPS panel would be ideal in this case, for the better colour reproduction compared to most TN/VA panels.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I would suggest the following for as far as I am able to 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.75 @ shopRBC) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($69.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($114.25 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.95 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $511.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-09 06:04 EDT-0400

The mainboard will need bios v3.30 in order to support the 3400g.

Sure, a Ryzen 2600 and the gtx 1060 would be better for gaming but it will also inflate the price, and I have serious doubts that there'll be a noticable improvement over the 3400g setup considering the tasks listed.

You may check the 3400g out, I think it's a very convenient apu for the setup.

I've added a conventional harddisk for data-storage but it might not be necessary at all, saving another +-CAD 50,-

Don't you need a nice compact case and psu as well?

7 hours ago, Ertman said:

I'd probably drop that GPU in that particular build. I believe the integrated gpu is on par with the 1030.

What kind of gaming is done on the computer that requires a dedicated GPU?

Heya,

I think the games would mostly be stuff like Cities: Skylines, Civilization, or things along those lines. No hardcore FPS games or anything like that. The GPU was suggested to me by someone at Canada Computers so I figured I needed one. I'm by no means an expert on this. I just want to make sure it does what they need and does it quickly and efficiently. They were really frustrated with the last computer.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Izanami said:

Heya,

I think the games would mostly be stuff like Cities: Skylines, Civilization, or things along those lines. No hardcore FPS games or anything like that. The GPU was suggested to me by someone at Canada Computers so I figured I needed one. I'm by no means an expert on this. I just want to make sure it does what they need and does it quickly and efficiently. They were really frustrated with the last computer.

Thanks!

the build I suggested above comes with an integrated GPU that is better than the 1030 and decent enough for strategy/city building games (they are more cpu-intensive anyway)

6 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

For this use case and the fact that you're going with an APU (which is a solid choice), there's no need to add in a dedicated graphics card, especially considering that the Vega 11 inside the 3400G is about on par I believe with the GT 1030.

While I don't know of a specific monitor that I'd recommend, what I'd suggest is looking for a higher than 1080p resolution, say 1440p, as especially after about 24", 1080p just doesn't really cut it imo. A 1440p panel will bring a big improvement in sharpness, particularly when you go for a larger monitor. Also, a good IPS panel would be ideal in this case, for the better colour reproduction compared to most TN/VA panels.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into a better monitor. I was unaware of the 1080p shortcomings at that size.

The one I had in mind was a 32" 1920 x 1080 which has good reviews but if that won't cut it, I'll look elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($114.25 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($52.95 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $511.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-09 06:04 EDT-0400

Sure, a Ryzen 2600 and the gtx 1060 would be better for gaming but it will also inflate the price, and I have serious doubts that there'll be a noticable improvement over the 3400g setup considering the tasks listed.

You may check the 3400g out, I think it's a very convenient apu for the setup.

I've added a conventional harddisk for data-storage but it might not be necessary at all, saving another +-CAD 50,-

Don't you need a nice compact case and psu as well?

Your recommendation of the 3400G is a good one and others have mentioned it here as well so I will probably go for that chip. It appears to perform very well.

I do need a case and a PSU - I am not sure about those components so any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks for the help!

@Izanami I think a case that can be placed next or even under the display like the InWin CE685 or BL040 will be a good choice, everything is within reach, no need to kneel down in order to use an usb stick or headphones. They both bring a 300W psu already which is sufficiently sized, but I can't find a review of it.

13 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

While... Sure? I'm not positive I agree with this advice on a $700 CAD build with monitor included. 1080p is just fine for a family PC.

13 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

I don't recommend buying a motherboard that doesn't come with the appropriate BIOS installed. You'll have to find an older Ryzen CPU to put in, boot up, install BIOS and then finally you can install the right CPU.

The B450 MAX series indicates that the boards are Ryzen 3rd Gen ready.

7 hours ago, Izanami said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into a better monitor. I was unaware of the 1080p shortcomings at that size.

The one I had in mind was a 32" 1920 x 1080 which has good reviews but if that won't cut it, I'll look elsewhere.

I'd honestly be careful about a 32" monitor. A 32" TV is small because it's sitting across the room from you, but when it's in your face, it's gonna seem MASSIVE.

Just my personal opinion. I use a 24" monitor very comfortably, and the 27" at work seems large, but not uncomfortably so.

13 hours ago, boggy77 said:

I believe for all intents and purposes, that this build is the best presented option.

5 minutes ago, trevb0t said:

While... Sure? I'm not positive I agree with this advice on a $700 CAD build with monitor included. 1080p is just fine for a family PC.

I don't recommend buying a motherboard that doesn't come with the appropriate BIOS installed. You'll have to find an older Ryzen CPU to put in, boot up, install BIOS and then finally you can install the right CPU.

I agree on the monitor, higher dpi might not be wise, especially if the display is dedicated for the elderly.

Considering the B450M Pro4: It usually ships with a bios that supports actual cpus, v3.30 at least. You can notice a sticker on the bios chip that marks the installed version. A short note to the shop before definitely buying it is nonetheless recommended.

3 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Considering the B450M Pro4: It usually ships with a bios that supports actual cpus, v3.30 at least. You can notice a sticker on the bios chip that marks the installed version. A short note to the shop before definitely buying it is nonetheless recommended.

Fair enough if it is purchased in-store. Otherwise the Pro VHD MAX is a guarantee at about the same price, and is approximately the same quality.

I'd recommend something like this instead....

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($110.75 @ shopRBC) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Rosewill SRM-01B MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($64.75 @ Vuugo) 
Monitor: LG 25UM58-P 25.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor  ($179.99 @ Memory Express) Ultrawide monitor
Total: $629.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-10 00:43 EDT-0400

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W