Cant connect to my routers admin page while wired, but I can through wifi???

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
4 minutes ago, zdemigod said:

I'm trying to avoid connecting the first device again as I feel this is something related to the second device and my computer. Unless somehow settings on the first device would affect the second after a factory reset?

If they're not connected, it won't make any difference to the first router when you reset the second one. 

Setting it up should be pretty simple. For the most part the first one can be left at default settings. Disable DHCP and NAT on the second router, make sure its default gateway is the IP of the first router, if it gives you the option. Set the 2nd router's IP as a different IP from the first router but in the same subnet. Connect them through a cable via LAN ports and you should be good to go. 

Bear in mind that while DHCP is disabled on the 2nd router and it's disconnected from the 1st router, you won't be able to access its web interface from your PC without first setting a static IP on your PC that's in the same subnet as the 2nd router. 

Hello all, I am so confused about my current situation so in a last desperate attempt for to save myself I come to ask people that probably knowing about networking way more than I do. 

I followed this guide HUAWEI HG8546M Router as access point | Tom's Hardware Forum to use my second Huawei HG8245H router as a secondary access point so I get wifi in a closed room. At first it worked great! I had wifi enabled successfully in my room and all is well. A few minutes ago I tried connecting my first new device (my nintendo switch) to the network using my second router and oddly i couldn't. After a whole afternoon of it working perfectly I thought I had set a device limit and should increase it...

And it goes to hell from here. So first i eliminate the first router from the equation and just concentrate on the second router, the one I'm using a a secondary access point. I realize that I cant do 10.0.0.1 to access the admin page. From what I know that should always work, but I had set previously a static ip as its part of the above tutorial. I tried that too and nothing. I start to freak out and i factory reset the device. I tried 10.0.0.1 again as its whats on the back of it as the default address... and nothing. Then I notice I have this as my wired network.

one.png.3f9fb12df92608be0ce1d7e855b6b164.png

Weirded out by it, I tried to run an ipconfig (as the default getaway should be address to access the admin page)... and it comes up empty.

two.png.5f1dea461b9f90f2b9e2f63ddd40753b.png

For some reason I decided to troubleshoot from windows and it returned this.

three.png.59fc88179646d9979e17fc8f49c0f2dd.png

But then, i turned on wifi and I notice i see my original router name on there, and I was able to log in successfully and actually enter the admin page again! I renamed and changed the password (name is claro-010)

six.png.995a86a86aa9105363aeabba98fdbe78.pngfive.thumb.png.611b523267d403bc777994ff38537df7.png

six.png.5f67c8af4d8d7fea756328f03c623b4a.png

So here I am.  I can access the admin page through wifi but ethernet seems to be completely dead for some reason I cant comprehend and I have no clue what to do about it. this is after a factory reset too. help! 

If you set a static IP for your PC on the 10.x.x.x/8 subnet can you get onto the 2nd router?

It seems like over ethernet, you're not getting a DHCP address but you do over WiFi. 

What port is the 2nd router connected via? It should be over the LAN port. A common mistake is to use the WAN port.  

EDIT: Also, what's the IP of the 1st router? Should be on the same subnet as the 2nd for everything to work correctly without having to mess around with additional routing or NAT.

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you set a static IP for your PC on the 10.x.x.x/8 subnet can you get onto the 2nd router?

It seems like over ethernet, you're not getting a DHCP address but you do over WiFi. 

What port is the 2nd router connected via? It should be over the LAN port. A common mistake is to use the WAN port.  

EDIT: Also, what's the IP of the 1st router? Should be on the same subnet as the 2nd for everything to work correctly without having to mess around with additional routing or NAT.

It is connected through LAN, currently the first router is disconnected and it's only the second router and my laptop. However back when I set it up, if my IP was xxx.xx.x.1. I set the range to xxx.xx.x.255 and used .210 as the IP for the second router (just picked a random number) will figure out how to apply a static IP to my PC and try accesing it then 

5 minutes ago, zdemigod said:

It is connected through LAN, currently the first router is disconnected and it's only the second router and my laptop. However back when I set it up, if my IP was xxx.xx.x.1. I set the range to xxx.xx.x.255 and used .210 as the IP for the second router (just picked a random number) will figure out how to apply a static IP to my PC and try accesing it then 

Would help to know the full IPs, it's what determines the subnet mask that gets entered by default. If they're in different subnets, they won't be able to communicate without proper routing set up. 

As they're local IPs, there's no need to censor them, there's nothing we can do with them. 

If you put everything starting with 10.x.x.x and have the subnet mask as 255.0.0.0 then everything's on the same subnet.

As the first router is disconnected from the second at the moment, you'll find that you won't get an IP address on your laptop when connected to the 2nd router. The steps for getting it to work as a second access point will involve disabling the DHCP server on the 2nd router to avoid conflicts. 

The way I'd recommend doing it is setting the 1st router to 10.0.0.1 and set the 2nd router to 10.0.0.2. Disable NAT and DHCP on the 2nd router. On the 1st router, set the DHCP range to start at 10.0.0.3 or later (to avoid 10.0.0.2 being assigned) and end it wherever you want (could be 10.255.255.254 with an /8 subnet mask as the last three octets are all host bits in that case.)

22 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Would help to know the full IPs, it's what determines the subnet mask that gets entered by default. If they're in different subnets, they won't be able to communicate without proper routing set up. 

As they're local IPs, there's no need to censor them, there's nothing we can do with them. 

If you put everything starting with 10.x.x.x and have the subnet mask as 255.0.0.0 then everything's on the same subnet.

As the first router is disconnected from the second at the moment, you'll find that you won't get an IP address on your laptop when connected to the 2nd router. The steps for getting it to work as a second access point will involve disabling the DHCP server on the 2nd router to avoid conflicts. 

The way I'd recommend doing it is setting the 1st router to 10.0.0.1 and set the 2nd router to 10.0.0.2. Disable NAT and DHCP on the 2nd router. On the 1st router, set the DHCP range to start at 10.0.0.3 or later (to avoid 10.0.0.2 being assigned) and end it wherever you want (could be 10.255.255.254 with an /8 subnet mask as the last three octets are all host bits in that case.)

I'm trying to avoid connecting the first device again as I feel this is something related to the second device and my computer. Unless somehow settings on the first device would affect the second after a factory reset?

4 minutes ago, zdemigod said:

If they're not connected, it won't make any difference to the first router when you reset the second one. 

Setting it up should be pretty simple. For the most part the first one can be left at default settings. Disable DHCP and NAT on the second router, make sure its default gateway is the IP of the first router, if it gives you the option. Set the 2nd router's IP as a different IP from the first router but in the same subnet. Connect them through a cable via LAN ports and you should be good to go. 

Bear in mind that while DHCP is disabled on the 2nd router and it's disconnected from the 1st router, you won't be able to access its web interface from your PC without first setting a static IP on your PC that's in the same subnet as the 2nd router. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yea but after I factory reset the second router dhcp was enabled as it is by default. But I can only connect through wifi not Ethernet which is what I'm trying to solve first before I try to set up what I had again

1 minute ago, zdemigod said:

Yea but after I factory reset the second router dhcp was enabled as it is by default. But I can only connect through wifi not Ethernet which is what I'm trying to solve first before I try to set up what I had again

Ah, okay. Try connecting to the 2nd router through ethernet, then running the below commands on the PC and see if you get an IP address:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /all

Re-reading through your original post, it seems like you were trying to access the second router by going to the default gateway, but the default gateway will be the 1st router. The 2nd router would have to be accesses via the static IP you set for it. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Re-reading through your original post, it seems like you were trying to access the second router by going to the default gateway, but the default gateway will be the 1st router. The 2nd router would have to be accesses via the static IP you set for it. 

I tried at first too. However now that I factory reset it's ip is back to 10.0.0.1 as i can access it through wifi with that 

When running /release I get "an address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint"

I tried at first too. However now that I factory reset it's ip is back to 10.0.0.1 as i can access it through wifi with that 

When running /release I get "an address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint"

That's fine, it's just saying you don't have a DHCP assigned address. 

/renew is what will try to get an IP through DHCP. 

Does your first router work fine through ethernet?

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's fine, it's just saying you don't have a DHCP assigned address. 

/renew is what will try to get an IP through DHCP. 

Does your first router work fine through ethernet?

Yea, the first router works fine, renew results in unable to contact your dhcp server. Request has timed out 

Yea, the first router works fine, renew results in unable to contact your dhcp server. Request has timed out 

Hm, I'd go ahead and try the other ports on the second router as well. Sounds like it's not even registering the router is connected when you plug it in. 

Did you try setting a static IP on your laptop and trying to get to the 2nd router's web page? 

15 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Hm, I'd go ahead and try the other ports on the second router as well. Sounds like it's not even registering the router is connected when you plug it in. 

Did you try setting a static IP on your laptop and trying to get to the 2nd router's web page? 

I tried using the simple static IP program to give me a static IP as i've used it for lan servers before and it worked.

However using 10.0.0.1 after still fails, took too long to respond.

Could you give detail to how to specify the subnet mask to /8 as you mentioned? 

14 minutes ago, zdemigod said:

I tried using the simple static IP program to give me a static IP as i've used it for lan servers before and it worked.

However using 10.0.0.1 after still fails, took too long to respond.

Could you give detail to how to specificy the subnet mask to /8 as you mentioned? 

You shouldn't need to use any programs, just do it through windows. 

Go to control panel and navigate to network connections (you can right click the start menu, click run, then enter ncpa.cpl to open the menu quickly). 

Right click on your ethernet connection and select properties. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click properties. Select use the following IP address: 

Specify the address you want to use. If you enter something starting with 10.x.x.x it will automatically enter .8 subnet mask (255.0.0.0). Set the default gateway as the IP address of the secondary router for now. You could technically leave it blank and be fine. To set it to DHCP again just select obtain an address automatically. 

For the subnet mask, /8 is shorthand for 255.0.0.0. /16 is 255.255.0.0 and /24 is 255.255.255.0. By default, a network address starting with 10.x.x.x will have a 255.0.0.0 (or /8) subnet mask. You can just leave this as is. You can use it to split up the network a bit but it's not something you typically need to mess with on a home network. I personally use a 10.10.x.x/16 network at home to fit my own requirements. 

To me it sounds like an issue with the cable or ports. Especially if it works over WiFi. If you have them, I'd try another cable and another computer to see if you can identify any faulty hardware. 

11 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You shouldn't need to use any programs, just do it through windows. 

Go to control panel and navigate to network connections (you can right click the start menu, click run, then enter ncpa.cpl to open the menu quickly). 

Right click on your ethernet connection and select properties. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click properties. Select use the following IP address: 

Specify the address you want to use. If you enter something starting with 10.x.x.x it will automatically enter .8 subnet mask (255.0.0.0). Set the default gateway as the IP address of the secondary router for now. You could technically leave it blank and be fine. To set it to DHCP again just select obtain an address automatically. 

For the subnet mask, /8 is shorthand for 255.0.0.0. /16 is 255.255.0.0 and /24 is 255.255.255.0. By default, a network address starting with 10.x.x.x will have a 255.0.0.0 (or /8) subnet mask. You can just leave this as is. You can use it to split up the network a bit but it's not something you typically need to mess with on a home network. I personally use a 10.10.x.x/16 network at home to fit my own requirements. 

To me it sounds like an issue with the cable or ports. Especially if it works over WiFi. If you have them, I'd try another cable and another computer to see if you can identify any faulty hardware. 

K I'll try different cables and ports to be safe, though it was working fine this afternoon. Thanks for all the help and Info.