2 Fans from one Header

daanav

Hi Community,

I have a Lenovo M72E Tiny. The motherboard is IH61I. There is only one fan header and I want to attach one more.

Would it be possible to run two fans off one header.

fan_header.jpg.e10b7dffd6f148c5f314acfd57a9edfd.jpg

Most likely. I don't know the rating of that particular header(might be a good idea to check the manual if it's stated), but many of them are at least rated for 1A of power at 12V. That header appears a little small though, so it might be able to only have one fan attached.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Most likely. I don't know the rating of that particular header(might be a good idea to check the manual if it's stated), but many of them are at least rated for 1A of power at 12V. That header appears a little small though, so it might be able to only have one fan attached.

I checked the manual, the rating is not mentioned in the manual. 

8 minutes ago, daanav said:

I checked the manual, the rating is not mentioned in the manual. 

I don't know if Lenovo would help you, but it might be worth giving them a call and asking. In the meantime, unless someone here knows the ratings of those headers, I would say to only connect one fan to it. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You could always get a powered fan header for a couple bucks.

While I cant speak for this exact board. ive used fan splitters on some cheap cheap boards (like emachines) and not had issues.

10 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

You could always get a powered fan header for a couple bucks.

While I cant speak for this exact board. ive used fan splitters on some cheap cheap boards (like emachines) and not had issues.

Hi. Thanks for your input. One question, what do you mean by a powered fan header? Fan connecting to System header and not cpu header?

5 hours ago, daanav said:

Hi. Thanks for your input. One question, what do you mean by a powered fan header? Fan connecting to System header and not cpu header?

It would get power directly from a SATA or Molex connector. Most likely Molex. 

I never had problems splitting fan headers with splitters but I never had that mobo so, best to power additional fans with Molex or you can buy a cheap fan controller like this. 

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-FP33B-Expansion-Independent-Controllers/dp/B001NPEBI8

If that particular one is the exact same one I used in two machines before you get control for 3 fans, it's powered by Molex or PCI-e

Here is another newer one with more headers. https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-FPX-001-Controller-Controls-Independent/dp/B00DP9WRZY/ref=pd_sbs_147_t_0/131-7768710-5642603?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00DP9WRZY&pd_rd_r=986c6833-31a2-4b0f-a938-c503c6d674cd&pd_rd_w=EUr7V&pd_rd_wg=WI4pG&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=RZR3Y5794SSZMQ0G2W2X&psc=1&refRID=RZR3Y5794SSZMQ0G2W2X

Just get something like that if you want some form of control.