Lineage OS Plan

Nano Adam

So I am planning on switching to Lineage OS on my Samsung Galaxy s3. Is there anything I should be aware of. 

And what are the benefits of switching?

Would love to hear your experience with Lineage if possible

Thanks!

i use it on my LG G3, which isn't my main phone but i use it to watch video's in bed when i don't wanna be distracted by notifications on my main phone. 

i used to daily drive that LG with Lineage on it and let me tell you my experiences. 

back when Lineage 15 was current i had that on it, and it was a nightmare. spotify was broken (if you opened it it froze the phone, had to reboot by taking out battery), wifi broke with an update, then got fixed after a week with an update, it had constant lagging, whatsapp notifications were broken and a bunch of other things. i set it on a shelf and went back to another phone. 

when Lineage 16 came out i updated it, and now spotify works fine, i haven't had wifi issues and whatsapp works too. i don't use whatsapp on it anymore since i have a new phone but it works fine. the phone still lags occasionally but what do you expect it's an old phone. 

She/Her

Lineage OS can have a few bugs that's really independent of the main Lineage OS rom, since usually, it's just people unofficially porting it to their device of choice and as such, some features may or may not "work" properly (They usually say which features aren't working).

I recommend looking up threads about it on the XDA forum, concerning your particular phone instead of just getting the firmware off the Lineage OS wiki.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III

Choose the one that applies to you in the Forum Links then scroll down to Android Development sub forum. (not the "original" one, it's outdated)

You should find a thread or two about Lineage OS or some other "custom rom" based on it, like crDroid.

(Or google your phone model + XDA)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

27 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Lineage OS can have a few bugs that's really independent of the main Lineage OS rom, since usually, it's just people unofficially porting it to their device of choice and as such, some features may or may not "work" properly (They usually say which features aren't working).

I recommend looking up threads about it on the XDA forum, concerning your particular phone instead of just getting the firmware off the Lineage OS wiki.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_III

Choose the one that applies to you in the Forum Links then scroll down to Android Development sub forum. (not the "original" one, it's outdated)

You should find a thread or two about Lineage OS or some other "custom rom" based on it, like crDroid.

(Or google your phone model + XDA)

Would the S3 SGH T999 and d2tmo be the same? 

58 minutes ago, ammar_code said:

Would the S3 SGH T999 and d2tmo be the same? 

Technically, yes.

If that is your phone's model, you would need a firmware of the T999 that specifically says "all variant" or mentions the d2tmo model in the description somewhere.

You'll need to find a d2tmo pre-compiled build of Lineage OS or "build" it yourself from the source... which can be a pain in the butt.

If you don't want to go through the excruciating process of building it yourself(understandably), you can find a relatively "recent" build that was compiled by someone in this thread (scroll down to the end of their post to find one from october 2019).

But OP doesn't give much explanation other than:
"Initial install = Factory reset, wipe data and cache, install rom zip, install gapps zip, install su zip, reboot system."

As such you'll need to follow the install "guide"
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/d2tmo/install

It seems like a lot, but really, it's just a few steps and they are well explained. In a nutshell you'll need :

Spoiler

- Put the phone in Download mode

- Samsung's Heimdall software for Windows and Visual C++ 2019 to make it work

- Zadig (drivers and such)

- Flash TWRP using Heimdall (while phone is in download mode) and reboot onto TWRP

- Put the custom rom's zip onto the phone through the usb cable, while still in TWRP.

- Wipe, Format, Sideload custom rom from TWRP.

Done with this part. You now have two option,

1- Stay in TWRP and install Google Apps or

2- Reboot to Lineage OS without Google.

If you want Google in your life, stay in TWRP, do not reboot and keep reading:

To get things like the playstore and what not, you will need to download OpenGapps:

https://opengapps.org
Choose 7.1 and as for the variant...
I would personally just choose Pico and then click the Red download button.
Pico is literally just the Playstore, no extra bloat. (You can download other Google apps manually from the playstore, like Youtube, Gmail and whatever else...)

Install the zip file through TWRP, the same way you've installed the custom ROM... And that's done! You can now safely reboot onto the Lineage OS.... BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

After that if you want ROOT, I suggest installing Magisk through TWRP as well.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-magisk/

Otherwise, yeah you're done, you don't really need root since it's not like there's extra shit you'd want to get rid of but couldn't without root, on Lineage OS. But that's up to you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Technically, yes.

If that is your phone's model, you would need a firmware of the T999 that specifically says "all variant" or mentions the d2tmo model in the description somewhere.

You'll need to find a d2tmo pre-compiled build of Lineage OS or "build" it yourself from the source... which can be a pain in the butt.

If you don't want to go through the excruciating process of building it yourself(understandably), you can find a relatively "recent" build that was compiled by someone in this thread (scroll down to the end of their post to find one from october 2019).

But OP doesn't give much explanation other than:
"Initial install = Factory reset, wipe data and cache, install rom zip, install gapps zip, install su zip, reboot system."

As such you'll need to follow the install "guide"
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/d2tmo/install

It seems like a lot, but really, it's just a few steps and they are well explained. In a nutshell you'll need :

Hide contents

- Put the phone in Download mode

- Samsung's Heimdall software for Windows and Visual C++ 2019 to make it work

- Zadig (drivers and such)

- Flash TWRP using Heimdall (while phone is in download mode) and reboot onto TWRP

- Put the custom rom's zip onto the phone through the usb cable, while still in TWRP.

- Wipe, Format, Sideload custom rom from TWRP.

Done with this part. You now have two option,

1- Stay in TWRP and install Google Apps or

2- Reboot to Lineage OS without Google.

If you want Google in your life, stay in TWRP, do not reboot and keep reading:

To get things like the playstore and what not, you will need to download OpenGapps:

https://opengapps.org
Choose 7.1 and as for the variant...
I would personally just choose Pico and then click the Red download button.
Pico is literally just the Playstore, no extra bloat. (You can download other Google apps manually from the playstore, like Youtube, Gmail and whatever else...)

Install the zip file through TWRP, the same way you've installed the custom ROM... And that's done! You can now safely reboot onto the Lineage OS.... BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

After that if you want ROOT, I suggest installing Magisk through TWRP as well.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-magisk/

Otherwise, yeah you're done, you don't really need root since it's not like there's extra shit you'd want to get rid of but couldn't without root, on Lineage OS. But that's up to you.

Thank you very much! This made my switch very easy.