LTT: 320 terabytes in a normal PC case!! The DIY 4k editing NAS

NickHeavy

So for those who end up researching the case because of the video, here's my review of this case as a novice builder. 
I finally wanted to upgrade my NAS (unraid) and have proper hard drive expansion instead of hacking spots into my 10 year old case.

The reviews of this case seemed very good, but there are a handful of things that I really did NOT like about this case.  For $250 I did not expect to have this many gripes:

• Instructions are mostly pictures without words and could be better.
  • Switching to 'server mode'; involved quite a bit of work.  If instructions were clearer would have been easier.
  • Only comes with 6 hard drive trays.  Sets of 2 are an additional ~$20.
  • The trays' leg/hook that goes into front of case is not really user friendly.  It's hard to align it properly with the weight of a drive.  
  • This is made easier by popping out the plastic cover that you just moved to the front, so you can actually see the hooks attach.  The instructions did not mention this comes off.
  • The included fans are not PWM (i.e. they're 3-pins).   The integrated fan hub is really cool and sleek, but pointless if you want to setup fan curves.
  • The side panels are easy to remove and put on.  But it comes off too easily and I found the backside too narrow for my 24-pin cable.  Normally you can squish this down, but the panel just pops off from internal pressure.  Once I close a panel, I would expect to not have to second guess if the panel is secured or not.  

Pros:

• Lots of grommets and tie down points.  At same time, the 24-pin hole is a very tight fit and you're better off using the farther, non-default hole.
  • Lots of room (as you would hope in this case).  Overall if you have the space you'll probably find most builds done easily without compromise.
  • Built solid